Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing BB connection

• 09-12-2003 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Hey,

at the moment I've set up a little two machine network using a crossover cable. The Win2000 box is connected to IOLBB with the default USB modem.
    The Linux box is connecting to the Win2K box, which is running CCProxy.
    At the moment this is ok cause I can surf the web and all that on my Linux box, great. I can't use my email clients but I've got Webmail so it's ok.
    Now we want to get the parents PC onto the Internet too. We're looking at getting a Wireless Accesspoint/Router from Komplett.
    There's one for around 105 yokes.

What I want to know is:
    Will this work with the modem we've got (Zyxel USB)
    How do I point the machines at the Router? Is it like a proxy? Or does it provide "transparent" access to the BB connection? i.e. I tell apps that I've got a direct connection to The Internet.

I think that's pretty much it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I imagine you could route the IOLBB connection through the router and out across your network but it would be incredibly painful to set up. Best bet is to get an ethernet DSL modem (like say DLINK DSL-300+) and connect that too the router then your pcs to the other side. Will cost ya another 75-100 spuds tho...

Will have to bin the standard IOLBB usb dsl modem tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I think we can get an ethernet DSL modem alright so I'm not too worried about that.
    What I really wanna know is, is the router just a proxy or does it provide complete or "transparent" internet access? if you get what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

probably wont be totally transparent you might have to mess around with opening ports and redirection for a few apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Enygma
    What I want to know is:
    Will this work with the modem we've got (Zyxel USB)
    No. You'll have to get an ethernet modem. If you have to buy an ethernet modem anyway, you might want to look at the D-Link DSL-604+ ADSL which is a "DSL modem", router, and wireless access point all in one device.
    How do I point the machines at the Router? Is it like a proxy? Or does it provide "transparent" access to the BB connection? i.e. I tell apps that I've got a direct connection to The Internet.
    It's essentially transparent. You tell your PCs to get their IP address automatically, and the device assigns them using DHCP - your PCs happily route all external traffic to the router, and you don't need to do any special configs within applications. You don't even need to install any adsl client software - you just tell the router your username/password, and it automatically logs you in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

was going to suggest the same ripwave, you just beat me to it!

anyway, you'll need the wifi/adsl gateway plus a wifi card for each pc.

after that its all pretty much straight forward.

what you're looking at is your 'typical' home/soho wifi setup, so you'll have no trouble getting help online from those who've gone before you.

google it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Cheers lads!
    Sounds pretty good. This is the router we're looking at getting.
    I think the younger brother is getting a modem of a friend of his but thanks anyway.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&sku=120287&p=&t=1735&l=3&AvdID=1&CatID=19&GrpID=16&cks=PRL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

You can extend the solution you have to include another computer alright. You'd just have to stick wireless cards in your 2k box and your parent's box (will need an access pt. instead of one of the cards if they are too far apart tho). It would work exactly like the connection to the linux box except over wifi instead of crossover.

It's pretty messy tho. I'd go with an all-in-one solution

Advertisement