Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just want a simple answers....

• 09-12-2003 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Okay we're getting Eircom Broadband, but we have 2 computers(mine and my sisters) but only getting 1 modem. Can we share the modem as it comes? Now we spoke to some guy from eircom on the phone about last week and he said sharing a modem is 'not recemened' and he said that we need a nother modem(€150) and a router(€900 :mad: ) we cant afford it. But is there another way. please help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Zhane
    Okay we're getting Eircom Broadband, but we have 2 computers(mine and my sisters) but only getting 1 modem. Can we share the modem as it comes? Now we spoke to some guy from eircom on the phone about last week and he said sharing a modem is 'not recemened' and he said that we need a nother modem(€150) and a router(€900 :mad: ) we cant afford it. But is there another way. please help.
    The modem supplied by eircom has 2 ports - one USB and one ethernet. It has been reported here that you can use both ports at the same time. (Do you have an ethernet port in one of the machines?)
    Even if you can't use both of them at the same time, a router that will allow you to share the service will cost less than €100. In fact, this one is less that €60. (You will need ethernet cards in both machines to do this - they cost less than €15 each).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

another case of eircom misinformation.

ditto on what ripwave said (damn you keep beating me to it!)

as a little bit extra 2 modems will do you no good at all because they won't both work at the same time.

the cheapest way to do it would be to get the free modem and one network card (if you can get into dublin i have some laying around doing nothing so you could use one of those.

the cayman 3000 netopia indeed has 2 ports that can both be used at the same time (one ethernet, one usb) and it works fine too.

you get cables for both in the box, so all you need is the network card.

piece of cake.

and don't go for engineer install if they are still charging 199e for it, it's a waste of time and a lot of money. if you are reasonably computer literate you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭somano

vibe - actual euro cost is higher on cd-wow if u use MBNA credit card - they are not good on exchange rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

so where can i get this network card. But more importantly what is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Funnily enough, it's a card that allows your computer to connect to a network :)

You should be able to pick on up in any computer shop such as Peats. Just ask for a 10/100Mbps PCI network card, and if they try to selling you anything for more than €20 ask for something more basic. You'll have to open up your computer to install it, but it doesn't require much technical knowledge at all. You just slot the card in, and reboot. If you've Windows 2k/XP you won't even need to install any drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Originally posted by Zhane
    modem(€150) and a router(€900 :mad: ) .
    900 hundred for a router(were not talking cisco router's now are we):rolleyes:

thats the biggest lump of ****e i have ever heard!
    kill all of eircom good damm it;)

Advertisement