Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

control ISP connection in java

Options
  • 09-12-2003 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows if this can be done in java. What I would hope to do is connect at a specified time get emails off a pop3 server and then disconnect. I believe theres an active x control for creating a connection to an ISP. Hoping theres something similar in java

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I dont know wheter something like this can be done or not but wouldn't it go againts Java 'cross - platform' ideals?, most hardware is windows only when it comes to things like WinModems I dont know how well this sort of a thing could be transplanted into OSs like Linux where there may be many way of dialling up to the Internet......I dont know, I'd be surprised if you could do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

I was hoping that there was some class that could manage an internet connection. I don't want to control the modem per se. Rather I want to create a connection with a specified ISP. This an a lower level involves something instructing the modem. I was hoping that such code would be done by the jvm.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are probably some dirty hacks you can use.

What I'm thinking at the moment is maybe doing the modem discussion manually. Not too difficult actually.
    Basically, you write a class that talks to the modem, (not at low level, but at the level that you can talk to the modem in hyperterminal), negotiates the connection, then launches a thread running the pop3 retriever, and then returns to the original thread and terminates the connection.

You could also maintain your cross-platform ability, if you load in some settings from a file (say, path to the modem, some initialization stuff).

Afaik, there are doanloadable third party libraries that allow you to run native system code. But this spits over everything that Java is imo. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Umm, got to agree with seamus this is not something for Java.

Advertisement