Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some quick laptop advice.

• 09-12-2003 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭

Right I've decided who I'm buying from (RockDirect) and what I'm buying (Quaddra DTS Pro) BUT ! There's the small matter of some upgrades before I finally send in the order, which I'm hoping you good people can advise me on.

1.) Upgrade from 512Mbs to 1Gig of ram, worth it or not? So far I haven't had the need for more than 512Mbs but I'm gonna future proof this as best as possible. Is it worth it in performance terms?

2.) Upgrading the 80Gig Hard Drive from 4,200 rpm to 5,400 rpm, again will there be much increase in performance?

3.) Wireless lan: There is an option for internal wireless and a wireless pc (pcmcia?) card. As it stands I dont have a wireless network in the house but will most likely, some time in the future, upgrade. Worth shelling out the extra few quid or just grab one when I do decide to upgrade the network?

Thought I'd ask for a second opinion before I purchased, maybe I'm wasting my money on worthless upgrades... Which is not an idea I'm particularly fond of :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

1.) Upgrade from 512Mbs to 1Gig of ram, worth it or not? So far I haven't had the need for more than 512Mbs but I'm gonna future proof this as best as possible. Is it worth it in performance terms?

As RAM is always going to be much faster than a mechanical hard drive then yes, even if you dont run apps that my take up all the memory the OS will use the ram to cache the drive thus making it run faster overall.

2.) Upgrading the 80Gig Hard Drive from 4,200 rpm to 5,400 rpm, again will there be much increase in performance?

See above - in theory the new drive will be about 20% faster but more memory will benefit the OS more so than a marginally faster hard drive. Of course if money is no object . . .

3.) Wireless lan: There is an option for internal wireless and a wireless pc (pcmcia?) card. As it stands I dont have a wireless network in the house but will most likely, some time in the future, upgrade. Worth shelling out the extra few quid or just grab one when I do decide to upgrade the network?

Wireless technology is improving all the time so unless you intend to go wireless within the very near future then hold off, it will get cheaper.

Tinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Thats pretty much what I was thinking,

1.) I'll go for.
    2.) I might go for
    3.) I'll leave till a later date.

Cheers for the reply ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

When you are using windows, most of the time your cpu is not being strained. It is waiting for data from memory, or if you are loading something, from the hard drive. The hard drive is a major bottleneck. Compare the speed of a 2.4ghz laptop to a 2.4ghz desktop, with the same amount of ram. Almost of the speed difference will be due to the desktop hard drive being waay faster.
    So, buy the faster hard drive. Put it ahead of the ram upgrade, you can always upgrade the ram in future, for a lower price.

Granted the increased rotational speed of the drive will benefit the loading of apps i.e. speed it up. But consider several apps loaded at once thus consuming the available RAM. At this stage the swap file comes into play. On a poorly maintained system this file could be spread all over the drive. The extra RAM will reduce the requirements of the OS for the swap file thereby increasing app swapping speeds. As the RAM is going to be much faster than the Drive then the apps will work far quicker only having to access data held in RAM rather than the slower drive. This will have the effect of of reducing power consumption by the drive as it's often turned off to conserve energy.

Tinky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Get the faster/bigger hard drive and put the ram off till you actually need it in a few years time.

• Advertisement

Heh heh ! This reminds me of that mortgage ad on TV !!:D

Tinky

Uh ohhhh, I did a naughty thing... Placed the order without the 5400rpm HD and decided (with help from your advice) to drop the ram and buy the fast HD. But ! When I rang I got over excited and said f*ck it, it's xmas I'll get the ram too... Now the price has gone from very expensive + the VAT to very VERY expensive + the VAT :/ Oh well I've been a good boy I guess I deserve it. /me prays from decent xmas bonus :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭newstalk

acer 2.4 p4 15" 512mb 40gb dvd cdrw win xp pro €1379

how does that sound?

Not as good as:

Intel® Mobile Pentium® 4 3.2GHz Processor
    1Gb DDR333 RAM
    80Gb Ultra DMA-100 Hard Drive
    17.0” WXGA TFT Screen (1440 x 900 Res)
    128Mb ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 Pro Graphics
    5.1 DTS Sound
    5 Speaker System including Subwoofer
    Built-In Video Camera
    Sony Multi Format DVD Writer
    6 in 1 Card Reader
    56k Modem & Gigabit LAN
    Firewire™, 2 x USB 2.0 & Serial Port

tbh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by Beat Freak
    Not as good as:

Intel® Mobile Pentium® 4 3.2GHz Processor
    1Gb DDR333 RAM
    80Gb Ultra DMA-100 Hard Drive
    17.0” WXGA TFT Screen (1440 x 900 Res)
    128Mb ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 Pro Graphics
    5.1 DTS Sound
    5 Speaker System including Subwoofer
    Built-In Video Camera
    Sony Multi Format DVD Writer
    6 in 1 Card Reader
    56k Modem & Gigabit LAN
    Firewire™, 2 x USB 2.0 & Serial Port

tbh :)
    wtf? ... you sure you ordered a laptop :p .... I'd just love to see a laptop with 5.1 sound .... can you post a link to this baby?

• Advertisement

Uh ohhh, better not be got too many of those allready :) Can't get a direct link atm but it's from http://www.rockdirect.co.uk and its called a Quaddra DTS Pro, you know the rest :) Oh and I haven't really looked into the 5.1 sound tbh I'll be mostly using headphones, mostly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Originally posted by newstalk
    acer 2.4 p4 15" 512mb 40gb dvd cdrw win xp pro €1379

how does that sound?

where's that from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭newstalk

some place in kildare

im looking for a 40gb 512mb firewire, cdrw/dvd 14" laptop really no other spec ..

not looking to spend over 1500

Advertisement