Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP DSL-504 problem

• 10-12-2003 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am after buying a DSL-504 router and am after setting it up
    It seems to connect ok to IOLBB (the Connection Status in the web manager shows 'Connected') but I cannot access the web from it. When I open up Internet explorer the modem login screen is still poping up and I dont know how to connect to the router. Can anyone please help me as this broadband has been nothing but hastle since I got it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

type http://192.168.0.1 in the address bar and then type in your login/pwd

If you connect to IOLBB ok, how did you connect to it without configuring your router ?

See previous thread about connecting problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

got it to work thanks for the link to that tread, all the answers where there.

EDIT: the internet works fine but the lan will not.
    2 pc's dont see each other, i have win 2000pro on 1 pc and winxp on the other

Brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Have you got File and Printer Sharing for windows set up?, have you got the settings so that the IP addresses are given out automatically ( DHCP ) by the router?. Can you ping the other pc on the network? ping 192.168.
    0.2 or 0.3 0.4 (something like that) do you get responses?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by jozi
    EDIT: the internet works fine but the lan will not.
    2 pc's dont see each other, i have win 2000pro on 1 pc and winxp on the other
    Can you ping one machine from the other? If you can, then the router is doing it's job, and any problem you have with Network Neighbourhood has nothing to do with the router.

i'm not sure what the ip is of the other pc but if i do ping family it say it's timed out, family being the name of the other pc on the network with the old lan setup.

any ideas why it wont work?

also my conection drops or is hard to establish

i guess the router needs some fine tuning!

thanks for you replies in the first place

Brendan

• Advertisement

i'm not sure what the ip is of the other pc but if i do ping family it say it's timed out, family being the name of the other pc on the network with the old lan setup.
    Well, if you can't get Network Neighbourhood working, how the heck would your PC know that the other PC is called Family?
    any ideas why it wont work?
    Check the IP addresses in use on both boxes (open a command prompt and run IPCONFIG). Try to ping the number of the other from each Box.
    also my conection drops or is hard to establish
    While you should be able to communicate between the two PCs even if system is not connected to Broadband, the dropped connection problem sounds like something you should sort out first. You're not running the IOLBB client on either of the two machines, are you?
    i guess the router needs some fine tuning!
    I wouldn't recommend you mess with the router until you have a better idea of what's wrong. I can almost guarantee that you'll only make matters worse.

Verify all the IP settings on each machine. Verify that you can get to the Web admin page on the DSL-504 from each machine. Verify that you have uninstalled any IOLBB software that you were using with the USB modem.

i guess i should start with uninstalling all iol software.

i previosly had a lan setup, before i got the router, and thats how i know the other pc was called family.

typed in ipconfig here's what i got:

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Cable Disconnected

guess cable disconected isnt a good thing? that doesnt show up on the other pc?

hope you can help

i guess i should start with uninstalling all iol software.

i previosly had a lan setup, before i got the router, and thats how i know the other pc was called family.
    But your PC doesn't know that.

typed in ipconfig here's what i got:

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Cable Disconnected

guess cable disconected isnt a good thing? that doesnt show up on the other pc?
    Cable Disconnected isn't good, but how are you talking to the router in that case? Can you ping 192.168.0.1?

i can ping the router no prob

every thing works except the lan, in the sense that my pc cant see the other on the network.
    suppose i could just plug in the old network cables and hub but it would be nice if i could do this trough the router

i can ping the router no prob

every thing works except the lan, in the sense that my pc cant see the other on the network.
    And I ask again, can you ping the other PC? Not by name, by number?
    suppose i could just plug in the old network cables and hub but it would be nice if i could do this trough the router
    You can do it through the router. But if your machine is reporting that the cable is disconnected even when it lets you ping, then there's something wrong, and it's not the router.

• Advertisement

Change your cable from X-over to Patch(if you haven't) you will afto buy new cable go to any shop and ask for patch cable between the computer that says cable disconnect and the router. If you have patch cable etween both computers and the router then check if you have a)File and printer sharing set up for your connection for the lan and b)client for windows network set up and clicked on both computers. You cant just ping family you need to ping the IP address 192.168.0.2 just like I said in my first post do this from both computers ping 127.0.0.1 from both comps have you cahecked that the cable is properly plugged in on both computers and the router????. Are both computers getting there IP address from the router (automatically get IP address in configuration menu). Do all that and report can both the PCs access the net or can only one?.

will i need x-over cable, i used to be able to see both pc's and share files with the old lan setup i had
    should it not work the same now tough?
    i cant ping the other pc, i can ping the router?

You can ping the router and you can't ping the other computer!!?. If you dont have patch cable everywhere you need to get it, I have the same router and was in the same situation I had to replace the x-over cable I had with patch if you've done that; that rules out the cable being the prob, have you replaced the cable???. Are both computers able to access the Internet??.

yeah both pc's have internet access.
    i used the cable that came with the router on 1 pc and the cable for the other pc.

how do i know the difference between the 2 cable types?

thanks so far

yeah both pc's have internet access.
    Is there some obvious reason why you are refusing to answer the simple question of whether you can ping the other PC by IP number?

no i cant!!!

did i not mention that earlier

no i cant!!!

did i not mention that earlier
    No. And you didn't mention what the other PCs IP address is, or what netmask you are using on each machine. Or whether you can ping your machine from the other machine. Or whether you've disabled the firewall on the other machine?

fire wall is prob the prob,
    got others pc ip in something like network properties forget right name for it

netmask?? what is it?

cant ping the pc's no mather wich one i'm pinging from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

You said that you are using the cable that came with the router and the old cable. Where you using the old cable to directly connect the two computers before you got the router if so it is a crossover cable and is no good. To check if it is look at the plugs on the ends if the wiring is like this then it is a crossover.

END1
    White/Orange
    Orange/White
    White/Green
    Blue/White
    White/Blue
    Green/White
    White/Brown
    Brown/White

END2
    White/Green
    Green/White
    White/Orange
    Blue/White
    White/Blue
    Orange/White
    White/Brown
    Brown/White

Once you are sure it is a crossover cable throw it in the bin and go out and buy a patch cable then get back to us with the results.

fire wall is prob the prob,
    got others pc ip in something like network properties forget right name for it

netmask?? what is it?
    There's this wonderful website called www.google.com that you should check out sometime.

What are the IP addresses of the two PCs and the router.

• Advertisement

The IP of the router should be 192.168.0.1 and the two PCs should be 192.168.0.2 or .3 or .4. I'm seriously begining to wonder how much longer I can put up with this stuff he has still to reply and tell me wheter he has File and Printer Sharing set up. Listen open an explorer window in the address bar type \\NAMEOFCOMPUTER the name being 'family' or whatever you called it see what comes up on both computers for both names please!.

Advertisement