Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange server upgraded, But can't get broadband.

• 10-12-2003 12:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭

I'm new to this forum so sorry if this question has been asked numerous times...

I rang up eircom to enquire about getting broadband in,
    They asked me both the account & phone number.
    I gave them these and they said that the exchange server had
    been upgraded but I was unable to get broadband in.
    I'm a little disappointed at this and was wondering is there anything
    that can be done to get it in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Looks your telephone line is of poor quality(with\without splitter) hence unable to handle dsl.

All you can do is pester Eircon to fix problems (even invent some) to get it fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Is your phone line split? do you have ISDN?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

I don't have ISDN just a normal phone line. We only got the phone line in about 7 yrs ago, so its relatively new. I don't know if the line is split, what does that mean?
    Thanks again for the help...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

description of what pairgains/splitters are are here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100154&perpage=20&highlight=line%20splitters&pagenumber=2

and it also gives a few handy hints on what to look for just to make sure you do have a splitter on the line

generally if your connecting 31.2 kbs or lower then you do have one on there and youll have to go through hell to get it off

Cheers

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

Connection speed is usually always ~40K.... never much faster occasionally drops down to 33K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

doesnt sound as if you have a splitter if it hardly ever drops below 40k

so

1) Any noise on your telephone when your making a call

2) how many telephone extension sockets have you got in the house besides the main LINE into the house, biggest killer of line failures im afraid is internal wiring, thats why my Line wont pass apparently, which i dont believe for 1 minute

the only way to really guarantee a pass is to do the following

Disconnect every phone fax ETC ETC thats plugged into any extension socket, put a bog standard phone into the main line coming into the house and then wait 6 weeks for eircom to do the test again, then check with the online checker again see if you pass

theres threads in here that say you can get a new live test done on the line by ringing a number that escapes me now, do a search on the forum and youll find it.

other than that theres not a lot you can do, unless you know an eircom engineers whose willing to do you a favour

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

Even when my local exchange was upgraded, it took 4 months for my line to be enabled for bb. During these 4 months Eircom basically made up any old excuse to get me to hang up. So, u'll prolly get it eventually

Advertisement