Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best os to use in network with XP

• 10-12-2003 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

I want to set up a peer-to-peer network to share the internet, and for gaming with my nice new PC with my old one. The new one runs XP. The old one is currently running Windows 2000 server and is set up as a web server. It runs too slowly. It is has a P2 350MHz processor, 64MB of RAM and a 6 GB HD.

I want to install a different o/s on the old one. I should have Windows 98 on CD somewhere, and can probably get NT 4.0 Workstation for free. Does either one have significant advantages over the other for my purposes? Will NT 4.0 run much much faster than W2K server?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Don't use win98. What you can do is, disable all the services you don't need on win2k server ( you can find lists on the net ). This will save ram. Consider adding a little ram to this machine also. Then run apache on it instead of IIS.
    Failing this, nt 4.0 will run ok with 64mb of ram. Not quite as fast as 98, but far more reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭fractal

I'd slap a base install of Debian or RedHat (now Fedora) Linux on the machine...

Select to install apache on install and it should run out of the box.

Disable any extra services and a machine of that spec should fly compared to it running Win2K/NT

Im running a similar setup with a mysql server on a P100Mhz with 32Megs Ram and I havent had cause to get pissed off with it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

Games won;t run on linux though I think?
    Currently set up with Win98 on the older PC,,, because it's the only os I could get my hands on. Might change it to NT4 Workstation when I can.
    Was surprised how easy it was to set up. Only cost €3 to do so too - for crossover cable - I had network cards on both PCs already.
    Thanks for the info

Advertisement