Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos rip off

Options
  • 10-12-2003 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

We all know that buying electronic goods from Irish retailers is a rip off. But I thought I'd highlight this one anyway. Just bought my girlfriend a netmd minidisc recorder for christmas:

Price in Argos catalogue: €399.99

Price I payed from amazon.co.uk: (£192) €278 incl. delivery

And amazon probably isn't even the cheapest i could have gotten it...

davej

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yeah, I just bought a camera while on holiday in thailand for €500 inc. a 256mb memory card (in addition to the 16mb one that it came with). i got back and the same camera was €799 in argos. thought i got a really good deal and i had, but i saw the same camera in another shop (independant photography type place) for €649 (again only with the 16mb card though).

basically, argos is on my increasingly longer and longer list of places i won't give my money to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

One of the main problems with argos is that their prices are only ever updated when a new cateloge is released [every 6 months] or when they have a special offer leflet instore. So if you look back 6months the prices wouldnt be too bad.

But they are still more expensive then the average store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Been done already - here

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I was going to purchase the Sony DCR-TRV14 in Shop Electic today for E649.99 (Save E250) But for the crack I thought Id look around, here are afew ripoff comparisons !

Sony DCR-TRV14 Mini-DV Camcorder

ARGOS (Worst) = E799.99
    ESB = E649.99

and Amazon = E469.99 plus shipping which is only a couple of euro...

Can I purchase it from amazon at this price or will I have to pay extra taxes when I receive it ? Has anybody bought stuff off amazon...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008AQ9B/ref=sr_aps_electronics_1_3/202-9872751-0543819

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

The uk, being in the EU, all the tax you pay is uk VAT.

So if the price you have above is the amazon.co.uk price inc. vat then that is all the duty you need to pay, i.e. no extra charges when it gets into the country from our customs guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Snaga
    The uk, being in the EU, all the tax you pay is uk VAT.
    'Fraid not Snaga. Amazon sell more than the limit (used to be 40 grand, not too sure now) for registering for Irish VAT based on sales to this country. They'll recalculate the VAT from 17.5% to 21% at the checkout.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I just received a Canon Powershot S50 from a company selling on ebay I got it for €550 (this includes delivery/tax's custom charges etc) :)
    The Box came with

- Canon Powershot S50 Digi Camera
    - Extra Battery for camera
    - 128MB Compact Flash Card (also got a 32MB with it to)
    - Compact Flash Reader
    - Lens wipes
    - Mini Tripod
    - Small Camera Bag

The camera was brand spanking new!

The same Model camera is sold in Argos for €850
    Item #: 560/0364

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Originally posted by sceptre
    'Fraid not Snaga. Amazon sell more than the limit (used to be 40 grand, not too sure now) for registering for Irish VAT based on sales to this country. They'll recalculate the VAT from 17.5% to 21% at the checkout.

Even if I had to add on the extra 3.5% Vat , its still E486 which is still BRILL!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Ah yes I stand corrected, I vaguely remember reading that on boards before aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Only a small difference with the extra few percent (2.98%*) on to the price with the extra VAT. Worth keeping at the back of you rmind but probably almost always still well worth it.

*(121-117.5)/117.5 = 2.98 (unless my brain is fried due to the lateness of the hour)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭m

guys.cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I bought a nike (its really philps with a nike symbol) CD/MP3 discman from amazon for £50. It was €160 in argos.

Big difference there. Plus i got a medion multi-region DVD player from amazon for £40 which plays better then the old sony one i had.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not sticking up for argos or anything, but a lot of the time you'll find that when you get to the checkout they have discounted the item anyway, but it's usually not enough to make them worthwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭leonotron

Canon EOS 300D with 1GB card priced in Conns Cameras just off Wicklow Street: €1600. Bought from B&H New York: €1000

Sony DCR TRV 950 priced in Sony Centre: €2849. Bought from mydigitalgear.com: €1600 (with delivery)

This country is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

if u buy from argos in the north - enniskillen for example.. u can save alot of money from the irish store... also works for others like carfonewarehouse...

Advertisement