Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not showing correct quantity of memory in windows 2000?!?

Options
  • 10-12-2003 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Have a computer that shows 512 in the boot up screen,
    but in windows 2000 (when i right click on 'my computer' and then properties)
    it shows it as having 128....

Can anyone tell me what is happening here?
    Is windows using the full 512?

Thanks,
    toil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Hi Toil

Windows should report the same amount of RAM as the BIOS reports. Windows reads the available RAM form the BIOS, so the value in the System Properties _should_ match the BIOS.

What I'd suggest it to get a memory integrity verifier and run that via a MS-DOS bootdisk.

Also, check that your memory is matched and that it's the same type etc.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If all else fails look for strange settings in C:\boot.ini

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    If all else fails look for strange settings in C:\boot.ini

?? like what ?? I don't get it, why look into that file?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's just one of those weird one in thousand things that sometimes happens, hence the "if all else fails".

• Advertisement

There is no boot.ini option to reduce the available RAM to the system.

Have you tried installing another OS to see if the issue reproduces in that OS? If you have access to Windows NT 4 or Windows XP try one of those.

I suspect it's a hardware or mobo issue.....

Originally posted by ColmOT [MSFT]
    There is no boot.ini option to reduce the available RAM to the system.
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/tmcd2/BootIni.htm

The majority of those switches are unsupported and undocumented.

Hence the "if all else fails" bit - anyway they DO exist ..

Too much microsoft software falls into the category "Undocumented / Unsupported" - at least with Open Source there is a chance it's Doumented. ( thought this might entail a walk through of the code :D )

Advertisement