Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive partitioning on DELL Inspiron

• 10-12-2003 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭

I've got a DELL Inspiron and was wondering is it okay to partition the hard drive (60GB) I heard that some DELL systems don't support multiple partitions.

Do any of ye have one that is partitioned?

Thanx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

I have a inspiron 4000, its an oldish laptop but ive never had any problems with multiple partitions. But saying that you never know dell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

there's no problem partitioning any hard drive afaik (never heard anything like that and I've built hundreds of desktops and laptops from most manufacturers. seems odd to me.

anyway, martition magic is your best bet if you're looking to do it without wiping windows.

you might want to have a partition each for different OS's (however many you need) and at least one other to store data on in case you need to re-install windows.

i have a dell latitude cpx with a 20gb hd which has 5 partitions on it. win98, winxp, data, linux & linux swap and it works fine for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You should have no problem. I've an inspiron 7500 that's coming up to 4 years old. Hard drive (40G) has quite a few partitions - one for winxp, one for win98 (could get rid of that one when I'm thinking about it), two for linux, one for files and a 1gig partition to make it easier for idiotboy to swap files between win and lin. I've had no problems with either the partitions or the partitioning.

Advertisement