Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest ADSL ethernet modem

• 10-12-2003 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hello there,
    Recently I bought a netgear combined wireless access point, router and firewall from Amazon US. All well and good. But the modems that are supplied with the RDSL products from IOL and UTV (forget eircom) are USB based.

How sad!

So, the question is, can I get a modem for low low prices anywhere which will just take the signal and pour it into my fancy pants Netgear gear? And where is that place?

Or, in the alternative, is there some way to get a USB modem and my Netgear gizmo to get along?

All suggestions will be happily received.

I've a new iMac and a very old (pre-USB) powerbook, by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Have a look out for the Dlink DSL-300G+ ADSL Ethernet adaptor - should be around €121.00 incl VAT

Paddyo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by theking
    Recently I bought a netgear combined wireless access point, router and firewall from Amazon US. All well and good. But the modems that are supplied with the RDSL products from IOL and UTV (forget eircom) are USB based.

So, the question is, can I get a modem for low low prices anywhere which will just take the signal and pour it into my fancy pants Netgear gear? And where is that place?
    I haven't come across an ethernet modem for less than about €100. As you can get the DLink DSL-604+ which has a DSL modem, router wireless Access point and firewall all in a single device for less than €200, you may not have saved any money by getting your stuff from Amazon (especially by the time you factor in power supply hassles).

It's a pity IOL and UTV don't offer the option of an ethernet modem, even if you had to pay and extra €30 or €40 to get it, it would be worth while.

(The netopia cayman supplied by eircom is probably worth the extra €50 that you pay in the first year, it pains me to say).

Originally posted by Paddyo
    Have a look out for the Dlink DSL-300G+ ADSL Ethernet adaptor - should be around €121.00 incl VAT
    It should be less than that - amazon.co.uk have it for £63.99 - even with currency and delivery charges, it should come in under €100. ITDirect on Parliament street list ot for €109.99, if you pick it up yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

so do both the mac's have wifi or just one of them?

if they both do then you should be able to plug the usb modem into the mac with usb and set that machine up to share the net connection with the other mac through the access point (or directly using an ad-hoc connection).

don't know the best way to do it on a mac though, i'm more of a pc person.

might be able to set up some proxy software on the main machine to do it though.

Originally posted by vibe666
    so do both the mac's have wifi or just one of them?
    I don't know much about Macs, but I'd be really surprised if a pre-USB Powerbook had a wireless adapter built-in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭theking

The Powerbook doesn't have a built in wi-fi gizmo, but you can plug in a PC card and get a driver for it. Its ethernet plug is dead, so that's the only way I'm going to get my years of hard labour out of it.

The Combined yokymebob was €35 from Amazon, so I shall do my best to find a way of using it, but it won't kill me if I can't.

Thanks for the links. €109 is just within the bounds of possibility. I shall be buying over the new year. You never know, there could be a Sale.

Advertisement