Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Parking FAQ (Without any Answers)

Options
  • 10-12-2003 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Any experts there on Dublin street parking out there - I have some questions. I have to find street parking in Dublin one or two days every week which is often enough to be a pain but not often enough for me to suss out the details of how the system works.

1. What's the story with feeding the meter? If you top up your parking after the intital three hour stay can you actually get clamped even though you have a valid ticket? Has this ever really happened to anyone?

2. Is there a grace period after a ticket runs out before which they will not clamp you. This happens to me very often because I cannot get back to the car before the three hours are up but I have never yet been clamped. Is this just luck?

3. What is the official rule on broken ticket machines. If I find one I usually park beside it and stick a note on my windscreen. I've never been clamped but I don't know if that is really acceptable. How far could you be expected to walk to find the nearest working machine?

4. Just off the South Circular Road there are a number of residential streets with signs saying "Pay and Display or Permit parking only". There are no ticket machines withing a 200 m walk of these streets. What does this mean? Is it residents only or can I get a ticket from several streets away? I have seen a clampers van cruising these streets.

5. What is the logic behind parking rates? The street where I usually park is €2 per hour at either end and only €1.50 per hour in the middle - and it's not that long a street. I have also seen €1.30 and €2.50 per hour in other places. What is the cheapest parking you can get within walking distance of St. Stephen's Green?

6. I have noticed that the clamping vans are creatures of habit. They seem to patrol the same streets on a fairly routine basis. On some streets I never ever see clampers. I assume there is an element of randomness in their patrols and I assume that every street gets looked at eventually. Has anybody figured out a pattern?

Perhaps I should clarify my positoin here - I accept that parking is a scarce resource and must be paid for. I am not interested in breaking the law. I do want to know how the system really works however in order to allow me to make best use of it.

Regards

MM

[Victor]Numbers fixed[/Victor]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Don't know much about parking but I find your numbering system quite intriguing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

I have some expierence on this which may be of help to you

. What's the story with feeding the meter? If you top up your parking after the intital three hour stay can you actually get clamped even though you have a valid ticket? Has this ever really happened to anyone?

If you read the back of the ticket it says you have to leave the street and can not return for an hour, I actually asked one of the guys from a clamping van about this and he sauid they dont enforce it.

2. Is there a grace period after a ticket runs out before which they will not clamp you. This happens to me very often because I cannot get back to the car before the three hours are up but I have never yet been clamped. Is this just luck?

No, you must have a vaild ticket displayed at ALL times.
    2. What is the official rule on broken ticket machines. If I find one I usually park beside it and stick a note on my windscreen. I've never been clamped but I don't know if that is really acceptable. How far could you be expected to walk to find the nearest working machine?

I park on Grand Canal Street /Barrow street, I have called about the ticket being broken on Barrow street many times, they always tell me the same thing theres another meter at the end of the road, so how far is acceptable I could'nt tell you but when you call em they will tell you where the nearest meter is.
    This raises another question, if you are parked in a green zone and the nearest meter is a yellow or red zone technically you do not have a valid ticket, you could be clamped although you wouuld probably win on appeal.

thats really all I have but your right, there are big gaping holes in the system which the general public need to be informed about

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Mad Mike
    Any experts there on Dublin street parking out there - I have some questions. I have to find street parking in Dublin one or two days every week which is often enough to be a pain but not often enough for me to suss out the details of how the system works.

1. What's the story with feeding the meter? If you top up your parking after the intital three hour stay can you actually get clamped even though you have a valid ticket? Has this ever really happened to anyone?

I've never been clamped for the above. The clampers don't really care and it's not that easy to prove you've been longer than three hours.

I think it's down to the particular clamper in question and how bad his/her day was. But I've been clamped for being 15 minutes over the time.

2. What is the official rule on broken ticket machines. If I find one I usually park beside it and stick a note on my windscreen. I've never been clamped but I don't know if that is really acceptable. How far could you be expected to walk to find the nearest working machine?

In the centre of Dublin there's almost always another machine within walking distance.

3. Just off the South Circular Road there are a number of residential streets with signs saying "Pay and Display or Permit parking only". There are no ticket machines withing a 200 m walk of these streets. What does this mean? Is it residents only or can I get a ticket from several streets away? I have seen a clampers van cruising these streets.

Residental areas aren't really prime picking for clampers due to the danger of clamping a resident without a permit and the fact that said resident and/or neighbour might cause them grief. I tend to be more relaxed about getting a ticket in these areas.

2. What is the logic behind parking rates? The street where I usually park is €2 per hour at either end and only €1.50 per hour in the middle - and it's not that long a street. I have also seen €1.30 and €2.50 per hour in other places. What is the cheapest parking you can get within walking distance of St. Stephen's Green?

Not sure, but I presume it's to increase the turnover of parked cars in selected areas. I've found that the more expensive the area, the more expensive the ticket.

4. I have noticed that the clamping vans are creatures of habit. They seem to patrol the same streets on a fairly routine basis. On some streets I never ever see clampers. I assume there is an element of randomness in their patrols and I assume that every street gets looked at eventually. Has anybody figured out a pattern?

Well the whole Fitzwilliam Square area is patrolled heavily, as are the backroads around north Rathmines. They probably do just wander around looking for fresh prey within a certain designated area.

Perhaps I should clarify my positoin here - I accept that parking is a scarce resource and must be paid for. I am not interested in breaking the law. I do want to know how the system really works however in order to allow me to make best use of it.

I have no love for clampers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Look here for details stright from the horses mouth.

I too find your numbering sytem intriguing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Good Link Borzoi
    The parking permit brief makes particularly interesting reason.

I quote:

·the removal of free ‘on-street’ parking spaces has provided a major disincentive to private car commuters who previously availed of this parking,

·the operation of the Residents’ Parking Permit Scheme has improved the position of residents seeking to access parking adjacent to their homes,

·the availability of ‘on-street’ parking spaces has improved dramatically. This has benefited motorists travelling into the city for shopping, business and leisure purposes,

·the reduction in the incidence of illegal parking and the reduced search time for parking has contributed to improved traffic flow and

·the City Council’s revenue from parking control has increased dramatically. These resources are being applied to fund traffic management measures and new road and bridge infrastructure in the city.

This is all good stuff and I have to agree it is a lot easier to get on street parking than it was a few years ago - particularly for someone like me who comes and goes at irregular hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not quite an expert, but I sit on the traffic committee. We reviewed the rules over the summer, making some technical changes (typos, spellings, acronyms, etc.) and easing some rules for residents, with some price changes for residents only. I think it is before the full council at the moment (i.e. not adopted yet).
    In theory, yes. If the clampers believe you are abusing the system and staying for "all day commuter parking" they can clamp. This is the reason for a 3-hour limit not a 4-hour limit. A 4-hour limit would allow someone feed the meter / move their car once a day (at lunch). A 3-hour limit is sufficient for most business and shopping purposes. In practice it is difficult to detect and is only be enforced in premium areas and where people are obviously abusing the system.
    No. However, you can do a mobile phone top up (see instructions on machine). You can / will be clamped the next time the street is inspected (note motorbikes are used in addition to vans).
    3. What is the official rule on broken ticket machines. If I find one I usually park beside it and stick a note on my windscreen. I've never been clamped but I don't know if that is really acceptable. How far could you be expected to walk to find the nearest working machine?
    I'm not sure if there is a hard and fast rule, but you are expected to make reasonable efforts to find the next machine. I suspect if there are two non-operational machines you might be ok.
    4. Just off the South Circular Road there are a number of residential streets with signs saying "Pay and Display or Permit parking only". There are no ticket machines withing a 200 m walk of these streets. What does this mean? Is it residents only or can I get a ticket from several streets away? I have seen a clampers van cruising these streets.
    "Pay and Display" is meter parking "Permit parking" is for residents (and some minor exceptions, e.g. residential institutions, visitor parking) parking. Visitor parking is a scheme where residents can buy a limited number of tickets per year at low cost (€1.25/day?). You **must** find the meter.
    5. What is the logic behind parking rates? The street where I usually park is €2 per hour at either end and only €1.50 per hour in the middle - and it's not that long a street. I have also seen €1.30 and €2.50 per hour in other places. What is the cheapest parking you can get within walking distance of St. Stephen's Green?
    The higher the demand the higher the fee. That particular street may attract excessive parking at say shops or offices and little in between. Which Street?
    6. I have noticed that the clamping vans are creatures of habit. They seem to patrol the same streets on a fairly routine basis. On some streets I never ever see clampers. I assume there is an element of randomness in their patrols and I assume that every street gets looked at eventually. Has anybody figured out a pattern?
    There will be patterns - areas with high demand and/or high abuse will be targeted more frequently. Suburban areas with "Pay and Display or Permit parking" tend not to be abused too much and are patrolled less.
    Pay your money, don't park dangerously or obstruct and don't take the p and you are unlikely to get in trouble.

Thanks for the authoritative reply Victor. It is great to hear from a genuine expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Here's a curve ball for you Victor, I have a Smart Car - can I park nose in to the kerb as all of the car fits within the white lines....???

Originally posted by MadsL
    Here's a curve ball for you Victor, I have a Smart Car - can I park nose in to the kerb as all of the car fits within the white lines....???
    Not sure, isn't there legislation that says you are meant to parallel park unless otherwise instructed?

The only implications with regards the City Council's Bye-Laws would be that you not park in the end zone / occupy more than one space. Two Smart cars together would have to pay twice as the fee is per vehicle, not per space (many places now don't have designated spaces).

Civil liability wise, you can't block someone in (he who is there first is entitled to use reasonable force to remove his blocked-in vehicle)

Make sure you are rear to kerb (illegal to reverse into traffic, but muppets do it anyway).

I got a copy of the new Bye-Laws today (Christmas Sunday post), so will have a read over them tonight.

Originally posted by Victor
    I got a copy of the new Bye-Laws today (Christmas Sunday post), so will have a read over them tonight.
    I read over them today. Much tidier document than the last version (I ran spellchecker and told them about the errors :)). Certain sections have been tightened up to provide less scope for abuse, but more scope for discretion in exceptional circumstances (e.g. chronically ill residents needing family care, areas with plenty of parking, but no residents allowed park there).

I couldn't find anything about which direction you must park in the bye-laws. However, the rules of the road say you must parallel park on your own side of the road at night (so the red reflectors work) unless obviously, there is designated rear to kerb or angular parking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Civil liability wise, you can't block someone in (he who is there first is entitled to use reasonable force to remove his blocked-in vehicle)
    /Me goes off to look up some Army surplus transport
    "Do those M113's come in green ? ... they DO ! I'll have one" :D

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    /Me goes off to look up some Army surplus transport
    "Do those M113's come in green ? ... they DO ! I'll have one" :D
    Tracked vehicles aren't street legal (except for roadworks, etc.). But whos going to argue? :)

Tracked vehicles aren't street legal (except for roadworks, etc.). But whos going to argue? :)

Has to be a HumVee so. Pity they don't make a version without "I am a w*nker" written all over it.:rolleyes:

Blinding flash of insight -

I must be a bit slow but I only just figured out how to tell what parking tariff zone you are in - The street parking signs have coloured bands under them to indicate the zone.

The list of zones (and a map) is given here http://www.dublincity.ie/traffic/pdf/parking_tariff_map.pdf [WARNING VERY LARGE FILE 37MB+ - Victor]

I notice that there is no such thing as a €1.50 zone - It looks like my €1.50 per hour ticket meter is an anomaly - possibly it was never upgraded the last time the fares went up. If you are still reading Victor - please forget I ever mentioned it.

Much smaller version of that map

http://members.boards.ie/victor/parking-zones.gif

Advertisement