Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCI > PCMCIA bridges

Options
  • 10-12-2003 5:00pm
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any pointers to a good source for these? Specifically, I'm looking for dual adapters: two PC cards in one PCI adapter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Must it be PCI? There seems to be a lot of PCMCIA/USB adapters. Just doing a Google on 'usb pcmcia adapter' will throw up a lot of suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭daveharlowe

I have a few ISA -> dual PCMCIA adapters if you want them for Eur20 each.

Do you intend using the PCMCIA cards in linux or windows?

If it is really PCI you want and you want to use Linux, then you could try some belkin PCI -> pcmcia adapters (I have a couple of them spare too).

I don't know much about running either of these adapters in windows though.

regards,
    Dave

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

FatherD: yup, has to be PCI.

Dave: they're for Linux. I appreciate the offer - do you have a source for them? I may need quite a few of them in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭daveharlowe

The Belkin PCI -> PCMCIA adapters work fine in Linux, I use them with : http://www.me2000.net/

They can be got on http://www.ebay.com/ I got them from someone who bought them in pcworld in Limerick (who no longer stock them).

I use Lucent orinoco type wireless networking cards in them.

regards,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

The Belkin are not proper PCMCIA-PCI adapters. They use a PLX chip, and wont work with most pcmcia cards, only certain wireless cards in Linux, and probably only Belkin wireless pcmcia cards in Windows. If your intention is to use an orinoco/prism in linux, then they're grand, but anything else and you'd be best getting a full cardbus adapter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement