Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ComReg allows Eircom to extend its broadband promotion

Options
  • 10-12-2003 5:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.electricnews.net/news.html?code=9384316
    The Irish Times reports that telecoms regulator ComReg has given Eircom a two-month extension to its current broadband promotion. Eircom will now be able to offer a promotional discount of EUR298.65 off new DSL services until the end of February 2004. The deal with ComReg follows Eircom's agreement to drop the EUR20 wholesale connection fee it charges rivals for access to its network for broadband services.
    I don't get that last bit. :confused:

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

It means Bugger All

In Belgium it costs €16.80 to rent a line and it then costs €30 or so for DSL.

In Ireland Eircom charge almost €33 a month WHOLESALE , on the same VAT inclusive basis for DSL. They leave feck all margin for the likes of UTV who add another €14 or so including VAT and have to make a few squeids on that. In addition Eircom charge almost €6 a month more than Belgacom in Belgium would charge you for the line. No sign of any reductions there Comreg?

Comreg did not try to make Eircom lower their wholesale charges to other carriers or to lower the line rental. That would be intelligent and Comreg do not do Intelligence.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Doesn't it meant that currently ESATBT have to pay Eircon €20 connection fee as well as the monthly charge and that this fee is being waived for the period that Eircon are running their "special offer" for new connections for their own customers?

Trivial but technically appropriate I guess....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

(a full working day after it is in the Irish Times...)

The Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) has been in discussions with eircom about wholesale and retail prices for its broadband DSL products. The availability to consumers of choice, in terms of prices, services and provider, has been key to the rapid take-up of broadband in other markets.
    In pursuit of this objective, ComReg has accepted, in principle, an eircom proposal which will allow for a short-term extension of eircom’s current Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) promotion. The details of the proposal are as follows:
    • Eircom will introduce from January 1st 2004 a permanent reduction in the wholesale connection fees to €60 for all bitstream products.
    • Eircom will introduce from January 1st 2004 a permanent reduction in the wholesale disconnection fee from €75 to €60 for all bitstream products.
    • Eircom will launch on Jan 1st 2004 a two-month wholesale promotion of free connection on the entry level product (compared to the current promotional connection fee of €20).
    • Eircom must propose to ComReg new wholesale and retail offerings by January 9th 2004 for introduction on March 1st 2004 and have assured ComReg that arrangements will be put in place to ensure that OAOs can operate effectively if there is any delay.

The new wholesale promotion and associated retail promotions will remain in place until February 29th 2004.

The Chairperson of the Commission for Communications Regulation, John Doherty, said: “in agreeing to a reduction of prices, eircom should recognise the long-term benefits of stimulating a competitive broadband market and the benefits such reductions will bring to their own business.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ok, I'm obviously missing something. If the connection fee is free to wholesale operators, how come the penalties for moving house are so high? I'm seeing free connection and €75 disconnection, where's (for example) UTV getting €150 from?

And what's "in principle" when it's at home?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Ok, I'm obviously missing something. If the connection fee is free to wholesale operators, how come the penalties for moving house are so high? I'm seeing free connection
    It wasn't free, it was €20. Until December 31st. The guy wasn't talking about moving before December 31st, he was talking about moving in February, as far as I can remember. As far as anyone knew (including UTV) the price for a new connection next February would have been whatever it was back in September.

As it stands, the wholesale price for a disconnection and reconnection from March 1st will be €120. Plus VAT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement