Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL are a disgrace

• 10-12-2003 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Hi

You don’t realise how angry I am with IOL at the moment. After waiting years after the rest of the world to get broadband to have to deal with a company as incompetent as IOL is just a joke. They really would want to sort themselves out. I choose IOL because it was eircom that held the show up in this country for so long not because they were cheaper.

In our house we have always used the Internet a lot so when Anytime was released I immediately rang up esat for an order form. After waiting a WEEK the form finally came so I filled it out and sent it back the same day. I used the direct debit method of payment. A few days later esat rang to explain that the account name had to be the same as on our eircom telephone bill. I was not happy at all. The name that is on the telephone bill is my 86-year-old mother that has alzheimer's who is living with us even though I pay it. So out came another form, which was filled in and sent off the same day. About a week later everything was set up. The whole process took nearly 3 weeks which is a disgrace.

Here is a diary of my dealings with esat whilst trying to get broadband set up in my home, which will show what a monumental disaster of a company they are.

Thursday 6th November :
    I realized that broadband was available in my area

Friday 7th November :
    I rang up esat thinking it would be a simple matter of switching my anytime account to a broadband one but NO that was not ok they had to send out another form so I asked a few questions

Could I cancel my anytime account?
    Yea no hastle.

Did the account name have to be the same as the eircom bill name?
    No my own name would do.

Tuesday 11th November :
    No sign of the form so I rang again and was told I was been sent out right away.

Thursday 13th November :
    No sign of the form so I rang again. This time I was told that I could sign up over the net and supply my bank details then a direct debit mandate would be sent for me to sign and send back and that would be it.

Wednesday 19th November :
    The direct debit thing arrived so I signed it and sent it off the same day.

Friday 21st November :
    The form that I rang for 2 weeks prior finally arrives. I throw it in the bin.

Monday 24th November :
    Somebody from esat rings to tell me that the account name had to be the same as on our eircom telephone bill. I was absolutely ripping after been told that it did not matter the first time I rang. I asked could the account start been processed while this was been sorted out. This could not be done I was told I would still have to wait the 15 days once a new form had been sent out, filled in and received again.

Wednesday 26th November :
    Another form arrives which I fill up and send off the same day.

Thursday 27th November :
    The person from esat that I have been dealing with rings and asks for a username and password. He tells me that my order will be processed straight away and the package should arrive within 12-15 working days. So I sit back and finally relax over the thing.

Today 10th December :
    It has been nearly 2 weeks since I last talked with esat so I decide to give them a call to see the current status of my broadband. I rang the personal work number of the person I have been dealing with. As soon as I asked him what the story was I got the reply ‘Oh yea I think there might be a problem with that account please hold’ After holding for a few minutes (and cursing) he came back on the line to tell me that their bank wont accept the direct debit because it was a different name than the name supplied for the Account (My Mothers). I was going absolutely mad I had personally signed the direct debit and my mother had signed for the account so what was the problem. I said that this was the way we were paying for our anytime account and there was no problems. He told me that it should not have been allowed go through. He said he would try again and should know in a week or so.

I am absolutely furious. Does anyone know a complaints phone number for IOL or esat? I am willing to go to eircom now. Is there a way I can break my anytime contract because of this? I was thinking I could because of him saying it should not have been allowed go through because of the account name and the direct debit account been different.

My advice for anyone thinking of getting broadband is not to get IOL

Thanks for listing,
    John.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

It's grand once it gets set up. Lol :D

Some people, including myself, had a 2 1/2 month (and in some cases longer, i believe) wait to get setup. Also in my case I spent an entire weekend fúcking with the computer cuz BB wasn't working and they said it was. Adter continual pestering (this was after 2 months btw) they admitted it wasn't ready, and would process my application immediately. Turns out they were just sitting on my form. A paper to use a weight on.

Their complaints/customer service dept. is as shíte as their sales and tech support depts. They will blatantly lie to you no matter what you ask. Probably even over their names!

I gotta be thankful that there's been no problems since it was set up, would top myself trying to go thru those shíts again!

All you can do is keep hounding them I guess?
    Or go with another company. The service is great on IOL, getting it however is a complete pain the balls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Sounds like you had a rough ride alright. Sounds kind of weird really.
    Goof Luck is all i can say im afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Go with eircom. Or UTV. Or Netsource.

Make sure you call them to tell them why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

The only way you'll get them to do anything is to email Bill Murphy, the CEO.
    I did and i got a response the next day, and things started moving (i waited 2 months). As far as i remember all their emails are firstname.lastname@esat.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Go with eircom. Or UTV. Or Netsource.

Make sure you call them to tell them why.

Netsource don't take home users anymore, and UTV hardly come highly recommended judging from the complaints about them on here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

email them this page and tell them to sort out their customer service reps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

The only problem I have had with IOL was the ISDN change to Broadband, but other than that they have been great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Im after sending Bill Murphy an email that is basically a copy of the above. So Ill see if I get a phone call tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 402 ✭✭C@non

I just got told that my kit will be sent out on the 17th and it would be set up for me, i just got my kit yesterday and the account is not set up, and they said i was not supose to receive it till the 17th it went out to early...
    they got anooyed..
    Jees i`m sorry was it my fault?

anyway now i`m stuck here with a cool light up modem ready to blow up the gaming servers waithing for the green light to go... but i cant connect till the 17th!!

All they have to do is activate the account! :S

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by clearz
    Im after sending Bill Murphy an email that is basically a copy of the above. So Ill see if I get a phone call tomorrow.
    Tell him I was asking for him. :)

adam

• Advertisement

No phone call from Bill today. Ah well wasent really expecting one anyway. I called looking for Mary Phelan just there but was told she was at a meeting (?). So some fella that was accually quite nice listened to me and said that the manager of sales would be in contact as soon as possible. Does anyone know his/her name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Normally Bill Murphy would email, not call? I dunno. Very helpful man tho. :D

I called looking for Mary Phelan just there but was told she was at a meeting (?).

I'm sure she wasn't, she has a severe aversion to customers.
    Bill is a cool enough guy, i'm sure he'll sort you out.

Got an email from bill murphy who seems a very nice man. He said the matter will be resolved as soon as possible. Thank God sombody is finally listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Originally posted by clearz
    A few days later esat rang to explain that the account name had to be the same as on our eircom telephone bill.

What are Esat like?

I signed up for both Netsmart and Anytime and never was told this. I am not the name on the Eircom phone bill and that didn't seem to be a problem. Did they change this recently or is it another typical example of some of Esat customer service people not having a clue what they are talking about??

Originally posted by Wicknight
    What are Esat like?

I signed up for both Netsmart and Anytime and never was told this. I am not the name on the Eircom phone bill and that didn't seem to be a problem. Did they change this recently or is it another typical example of some of Esat customer service people not having a clue what they are talking about??

I think some of them do not have a clue because I was told that the account name did not matter by one person when it clearly does

It does not tell you this anywhere on there web site or application form about this when it is definitely something that people should know about. As you can see by my first post I had this problem with both Anytime and broadband.

And then for them to say the Account name and Direct Debit name must be the same. Even though 2 separate signatures had been given is beyond me.

Hopefully after my e-mail to Bill Murphy who forwarded it on to other high ranking managers. These things will be addressed so that other people will have to go through my dilemma.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

I say go with eircom, less trouble and the download speeds/pings are perfect 90% of the time

I would have gone to eircom already but 4GB cap is far to small for our family. Even 8GB is pushing it tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭somano

For those of you that are waiting for activation just be aware that you are more than likely paying for this privilege.

I went online on 14th of November but have been charged retrospectively since 29th October !

IOL Techs told me that they look at these pages - if so please heed. Bill Murphy you too.

When will you realise that you lose business from complaints on these pages.

A lot of the problems that customers have are common. Here are a few.

1. Change online form to show that self install is free until December 31.
    2. Acknowledge and thank customer for choosing IOL. Provide an order number so order can be tracked.
    3. Keep customer up to date on progress. Send an email when Eircom have okayed line. A letter or email to say installation package on the way.
    4. A thank you for choosing IOL etc in modem package.
    5. IOL security / firewall at outset - one would expect this to come immediately.
    6. Start charging when customer gets activated not when they receive order.

Anymore ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by rorook
    For those of you that are waiting for activation just be aware that you are more than likely paying for this privilege.

I went online on 14th of November but have been charged retrospectively since 29th October !
    Challenge this. IOL are not entitled to charge you for a service that they haven't provided.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

...Anymore ?

Suggestions
    Issue bills, by paper or email
    Ensure such bill is sent at least 25 days before debit.
    Ensure such bill describes what is being charged "Broadband 01/12/03-30/12/03"

Results
    Customer has time to lodge money to meet debit.
    Customer knows exactly what he is paying for.
    Calls/emails to accounts department about mysterious debits reduced
    Bad reputation of accounts department repaired, sales increase

IOL Techs told me that they look at these pages - if so please heed. Bill Murphy you too.

Yes, they do, but what can tech support do about administration problems within esat? Do you think the managers would listen to anything they tell them they've seen on boards.ie? No. Tech support are the lowest in the food chain. If managers in esat read this, then there'd be a point to your spiel.

The point to my spiel is to show potential broadband customers what kind of service to expect. Ant to point out the account name problem that will add on at least another week to your waiting time.

Actually clearz I actually think he meant my spiel !

So I will email this thread to the Customer Services and Sales Director.

Actually clearz I actually think he meant my spiel !

I'm a 'she' :-)
    And yes it was rorook that was intended for, hence my _quoting_ rorook :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I applied for Iol broadband and got it up an running 14 days later!

No complaints here. In fact I was very pleased with the service.

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

Originally posted by kleefarr
    I applied for Iol broadband and got it up an running 14 days later!

No complaints here. In fact I was very pleased with the service.

Kevin

With their modem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Yep, with the ZyXEL P630 ADSL Modem.

But did you get your free Symantec 2004 Norton Firewall 2004 ?;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

We were overcharged by two months in our first bill. Got it sorted. Even though we have direct debit setup its appearing along with our usual esat paper bill and isnt being withdrawn, so we pay it by cheque. Oddness. :rolleyes:

Advertisement