Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL are a disgrace

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Originally posted by rorook
    But did you get your free Symantec 2004 Norton Firewall 2004 ?;)

Yes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

when do we get the intrenet security package??? does anyone know!!!
    dont know if clearz mentions above that he know some one who ordered iolbb after he did, well im happily surfing now for nearly a month

hope you get it monday,
    kick your ass in ut!!!

Jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Bill Murphy is a nice guy and it seems that boards.ie has some weight when dealing.

I'd recommend emailing Gary Dempsey the product manager. After dealing with bill Murphy, he passed me onto Gary who is also a nice guy.

Unfortunitly IOL like most companies have employees who don't bother reading policy or make up their own as they go along.

That thing about the name being the same as the account holder is rubbish as my broadband account is under my name and the phone is under my mothers.

I would suggest that IOL re-think their billing policies as a friend of mine on the service when to his bank today to see when did they take the money. The bank told him IOL tried but there wasn't enough lodged. This occuried a few weeks ago.

He rang IOL and they told him he has to manual lodge the money to them today. He was not even informed by them that they never got the money. I'm sure the only thing they would have informed him with would have been a letter from their debt collectors demanding payment in full and penalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by clownboy

I'd recommend emailing Gary Dempsey the product manager. After dealing with bill Murphy, he passed me onto Gary who is also a nice guy.

Gary, will sort you out, Nice Guy and a good friend of mine actually.

Red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

I have been dealing with Angela Keegan since emailing Bill. I think might be starting to slip again. I got an email Thursday from somebody called Emer she used the words

"I have definite confirmation that your Broadband Modem will be with you by
    tomorrow evening. you are on the SDS dlivery list for tomorrow." (Friday)

Its now Saturday.

I am to be switched on, on the 30th which is a bit of a joke after the amount of time I have been onto them. I wonder if its eircom's fault or theirs. Even if it is eircom Esat should get off their A$$es and do something about it. They are loosing customers to eircom because of it.
    God if only eircom's cap was 8GB I would have gone long ago. I would love an XBox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

My IOL account is also in my name with the line rental in my fathers name.

Just to reassure anyone who's worried about penalties for not paying promptly, so far I've not been charged for not paying on time (since bills began in July). As I've mentioned in other posts this is because ESAT are incapable of setting up a direct debit (3 failures so far) from my account and don't issue any form of invoice. I now pay by credit card when the overdue letter arrives every 2 months. Due one by now actually, probably stuck in the holiday post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

so far I've not been charged for not paying on time (since bills began in July). As I've mentioned in other posts this is because ESAT are incapable of setting up a direct debit (3 failures so far) from my account and don't issue any form of invoice

"incapable" is an understatement - but you're damn right.

I got billed yesterday - the FIRST time since July, I've been buggin them every single week. I'm not prepared to pay a huge bill every 4-5 months if they're incapable of charging their own customers (direct debit - their own terms..)
    I've heard different excuses from every "agent" i've dealt with. And i've been billed yesterday, just after i received an "amount overdue" statement.

If Eircon had the same allowance i'd be gone. Imbeciles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

Well at least you received a statment, I only got a call from one of their agent.

And tbh I am quite happy they didn't manage to set up the direct debit, seeing how they are working I would hate to be charged twice or overcharged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by Sarn
    My IOL account is also in my name with the line rental in my fathers name.

How did you manage this as i was told flat out no it wasn't possible after i send in my application like that :( the end result of which was i've signed up for eircom's bb this morning (but i am getting a cheap ipod :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

. A few days later esat rang to explain that the account name had to be the same as on our eircom telephone bill. I was not happy at all. The name that is on the telephone bill is my 86-year-old mother that has alzheimer's who is living with us even though I pay it.

that was the first thing i asked when i applied, and they said no problem, it can go in ur name. I have been waiting since the end of October..

1. Called up- was told to fill in the online registration--did so

2. About a week later got the form thorugh the post, fair enough filled it in and sent it off the same day

3. 2 weeks later called up to get a progress report..."yeah there seems to be a problem with your application- your line is not eligible i think....oh no yours is a different problem- you filled out your eircom account number wrong on the application form" I gave hime the right details and received an assurance that this would get things moving.

4. About another 2 weeks later I called up again and was told all is well, your queued ..no problems.

5. 3 days ago i get a call from Iol who tells me there is a problem with my application, the eircom account number i filled in on the form is incorrect. I told her i know this, and that I had already supplied iol with the right number. She said quite honestly that whomever I had dealt with on the last call had not followed through...
    January is the new ETA

2 months now of total fannying around.
    The people you deal with on the phone seem to have limited knowledge or access to information to help them do their jobs. I asked one guy will I receive a call when the engineer is going to come out, and he said "i think they send a letter". Its a complete customer service nightmare, and if they come back and say I cant have it in my own name, it must be in the ole mans, I might just break down and cry

• Advertisement

that was the first thing i asked when i applied, and they said no problem, it can go in ur name. I have been waiting since the end of October..

1. Called up- was told to fill in the online registration--did so

2. About a week later got the form thorugh the post, fair enough filled it in and sent it off the same day

3. 2 weeks later called up to get a progress report..."yeah there seems to be a problem with your application- your line is not eligible i think....oh no yours is a different problem- you filled out your eircom account number wrong on the application form" I gave hime the right details and received an assurance that this would get things moving.

4. About another 2 weeks later I called up again and was told all is well, your queued ..no problems.

5. 3 days ago i get a call from Iol who tells me there is a problem with my application, the eircom account number i filled in on the form is incorrect. I told her i know this, and that I had already supplied iol with the right number. She said quite honestly that whomever I had dealt with on the last call had not followed through...
    January is the new ETA

2 months now of total fannying around.
    The people you deal with on the phone seem to have limited knowledge or access to information to help them do their jobs. I asked one guy will I receive a call when the engineer is going to come out, and he said "i think they send a letter". Its a complete customer service nightmare, and if they come back and say I cant have it in my own name, it must be in the ole mans, I might just break down and cry

I know the waiting sucks. Im after getting my broadband finally set up. I am after logging on for the first time about 10 mins ago. Its class I have already downloaded a few tunes. Just keep the pressure on them. Get in contact with sombody higher than the telesales and you might eventually get broadband also.

Best of luck
    John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by jozi
    when do we get the intrenet security package??? does anyone know!!!
    dont know if clearz mentions above that he know some one who ordered iolbb after he did, well im happily surfing now for nearly a month

hope you get it monday,
    kick your ass in ut!!!

Jozi
    Been using IOLBB a month now (mmm, broadbandy goodness :) )

Have called them a few times RE: Security package - still haven't received it. Bloke said they prolly send them out in batches last time I rang :rolleyes:

I think I posted this already, but:
    I got the modem to start,
    I had to ring for the modem setup CD and filters.
    Got a UTV Clicksilver CD in the post :dunno:
    Had to call again for the correct CD (tho the UTV one worked fine)
    Got the proper modem CD, but as yet no Norton package :rolleyes:

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Hellraiser

Just wanted some feedback from you guys regarding your pings on IOL for about the last month.

I play COD, UT2004 and a few other games online, recently i was getting reall bad lag spikes due to high pings.

I rang them a few times and was told that they cannot do anything about ping issues, as my downloads are not affected, then about 2 weeks later i do start to get probs with downloads and try ringing them, no answer from their ****ty tech lines, try mailing them, again no answer, so after this post im going to mail Bill and see what he has to say about the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

sounds to me that if clearz and uRbaN had filled out the forms correctly in the first place all delays could have been avoided

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Why are you dragging up a 6 month old post? Why don't you just start a new thread about pings?

Ooops sorry didnt see that it was 6 months old, i was directed here by a friend to ask for help, and now a moderator basically gives out to me for doing so.

Ah well, start a new thread i will so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Just to be clear, eth0_ isn't a moderator here, so dont mind what she says. It doesn't matter too much that you dragged up the thread either.

Ok thanks, but i am confused to why he isnt an moderator even tough it says it under his username.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

eth0_ is mod of the Mac and Tattoo/piercing forums. I'm mod (along with some others, listed at the top of the page of the forum index) of the Broadband and Ireland Offline forums. Basically it's whatever is listed beside the "Mod:" part in the thingy to the left of this text.

Outside the forums we mod, were exactly the same as every other non-mod, no special 'rights' or powers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by clearz
    I used the direct debit method of payment. A few days later esat rang to explain that the account name had to be the same as on our eircom telephone bill. I was not happy at all. The name that is on the telephone bill is my 86-year-old mother that has alzheimer's who is living with us even though I pay it. So out came another form,

It does not matter if you pay it, it also don't matter if some newbie agent in IOL told you it does not need to be the same

Its common that this info needs to match (or atleast in the UK)

If you are annoyed you might want to suggest that IOL addresses this issue of mis-information with its agents on the phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Hellraiser
    Ooops sorry didnt see that it was 6 months old, i was directed here by a friend to ask for help, and now a moderator basically gives out to me for doing so.

Ah well, start a new thread i will so.

I wasn't giving out at you. But it's silly to drag up a 6 month old thread IMO, you'd have been better starting a thread entitled 'IOL bb ping problems?'. Just my $0.02

Well i understand that but as i said i was directed here by a friend who said i might get an answer here.

Also i did start a new thred about prob.

Originally posted by l3rian
    sounds to me that if clearz and uRbaN had filled out the forms correctly in the first place all delays could have been avoided

Your taken the piss right.

I have to admitt that it is now 6 month since getting signed up with IOLBB and I have had little problems.

Advertisement