Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Router For Pings

• 10-12-2003 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭

Wondering someone might be able to help here...

Long story short...

Used to share IOL BB thru NIC to PS2. Could play SOCOM:Online and CounterStrike (Different people playing! :D) at same time no problems. CS ping of about 60 and SOCOM was perfectly smooth (tho ya cant see ping) and bullet registry etc was perfect. Was on WIndows ME.

Upgrade to XP Pro. If someone logs into CS now SOCOM's pings go to shít and the player gets kicked due to high pings or gets completely disconnected.

Would a router solve these sharing problems? And if so, can anyone recommend one that will maintain as good a ping as possible.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

pingwise, one router is the same as another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

where u get the nic for ps2? i did'nt know u could use it here yet

BTW, any router will do, no difference at all in pings.. i've had 3 on my line, no difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    Used to share IOL BB thru NIC to PS2. Could play SOCOM:Online and CounterStrike (Different people playing! :D) at same time no problems. CS ping of about 60 and SOCOM was perfectly smooth (tho ya cant see ping) and bullet registry etc was perfect. Was on WIndows ME.

Upgrade to XP Pro. If someone logs into CS now SOCOM's pings go to shít and the player gets kicked due to high pings or gets completely disconnected.

Now, it could be just me, but it seems that the network settings in XP are a wee bit different than the ones you had in ME.

If someone configured it (ME) for good ping, then ask them to do the same for XP.

Basically, it sounds like the settings were reset, maybe.

Also, make sure that XP, or some other program is limiting the ping, somehow. What type of router is it? Make, model, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

The Network card was limiting the transfer rate or something, got some diff dsettings off the company that worked.

PS2 network adapter was got from Amazon.co.uk a few months ago. Nothing stopping ya doing similarly if ya have broadband. :D

Advertisement