Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Media Player - Can I remove Hotfix WM828026

Options
  • 10-12-2003 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

I am running Windows XP Pro.

I am having problems with Windows Media Player.

Firstly, when I try to open it, I get the following message:

"The file wmp.dll has a version number of 9.0.0.3008 where 9.0.0.3075 was expected.

Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled.

Do you wish to install WMP from the Microsoft website?"

It was working perfectly a few days ago. But, I do recall opening another program and being asked, before it opened, if I wanted to restore to it files that were being used by another program. I chose "Yes" and I suspect that this is why WMP is no longer opening.

So, I went to Add/Remove with the intention of uninstalling WMP before downloading and reinstalling it. But, the only WMP named file I can find is the 828026 Hotfix. Two things about this:

1. It says that it is a staggering 616Mb in size. I know from past experience that this can happen where XP gives a file a ridiculous size (828026 is only a few kb in download size) So, I presume that's not a problem.

2. The icon next to the Hotfix 828026 in Add/Remove is the icon for my anti-virus software, AVG as it happens. Again, this happens sometimes, apparently.

But, these observations are only by the way.

When I chose to uninstall the hotfix, hoping that it would uninstall WMP at the same time, I got a message listing four non-Microsoft programs, and saying that they might not work properly if I uninstalled the hotfix.

So................

1. Can I uninstall Hotfix 828026 safely?

2. How do I uninstall Windows Media Player?

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I'm sure you should be able to uninstall the hotfix no prob, but as far as uninstalling the entire WMP.....I dont think MS make that an easy task; short of deleting everything using DOS I dont know wheter you can do that (is there an option to uninstall WMP in WinXP? - doubt it). Your best bet is to just install WMP from the web and ignore the hotfix see if that fixes the prob, if not uninstall the hotfix and install WMP. If none of those things work then you can always try MPC (Media Player Classic - scroll down the page and download the latest less then a MB) it's lite fast and will play all files that WMP plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

same thing happened me over the weekend, i downloaded the player again and it seemed to work ok, however was asked to insert the windows xp cdrom, (data missing) afterwards and now seems ok

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I've got a Windows Media Player problem too. When I open it up, the message "An internal application error has occured" pops up and then it closes. Any idea what to do? I am using Windows XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Well, I uninstalled the hotfix and guess what??!! WMP opened like a dream! Seems to be working OK too.

Also, at least one of the programs it said might not work properly if I uninstalled it seems to be fine too.

No doubt the next time I go to Windows Update, it will detect that the hotfix is missing and ask for it. Hopefully, it will be better next time!

Thanks.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

I had a look a this page which explains what the patch actually does.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5bLN%5d;828026

THis patch updates the WMP.dll file to the expected version in the error that you're getting.

Try going to the Windows Wupdate website, and go to the Windows catalog to perform a search for 828026 and download it to your computer.

Then after it's downloaded, run the setup file and reinstall that patch. This _may_ fis the incorrect dll version issue that you're seeing.

Scanning for updates on the Winodws Update website will not work because it'll detect that you've already installed the 828026 patch and it won't reoffer it to you.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Just to clarify, when you install Windows Media Player 9, you are informed during setup that there is no way to remove WMP9 and return to version 8, which is bundled with Windows XP.

The only way to remove WMP9 is to use System Restore to roll back your system to a date prior to the WMP 9 installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Colm,

Thanks for your help.

Windows Update did indeed detect that the hotfix is missing and suggested it be installed.

The last time this happened to me, with another fix, the fixes reappeared as the same massive file size in Add/Remove!

I will wait until I am connected to my broadband connection before downloading it again.

D.

Advertisement