Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Games

• 10-12-2003 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

Sooo, is there any way of getting some good uns of the net and putting them on your phone for free?

Knowing vodafone they probably charge about €4 per game :(

Meh phone is a t610 and it supports java games :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

edit: pending clarification (see my below)

thanks,
    BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Dopewars is a beta and is freely available from the developers at http://www.redteam.co.uk/dopewars so I think that sorts out the legality of that one. I don't know which of the others I mentioned are officially freeware of commercial, but I suppose it would be fair to say that any game that has a "developed by Taito/Atari/Mindscape/etc" intro screen was probably developed for commercial use.

There are freeware Java sites such as http://j2me-software.com/repository/index.jsp and http://www.microjava.com/ and http://midlet.org/index2.jsp that have tetris and stuff like that, made free by their developers.

Dubwireless, if there's anything from the original post below that you think should be edited out, work away. (thanks :))

Original post:

"As far as I know, .jad files are only descriptions of games, its the .jar files that contain the game. You don't need the jad bit.

If you own a Java phone that can be connected to your pc, there's no reason why you should ever pay for a game (so long as it's freeware :)). If you search the net for "java games t610" or something like that you'll find all you need. There are a limited selection of java games on www.myt610.com.

I have a T610 with new firmware and it plays a fair few java games, even ones originally programmed for Nokia java phones. Dopewars is pretty good (search "dopewars.jar" on google), it has no graphics, but you can get great versions of snake etc. too. Some games won't work on a T610, but there are sometimes multiple versions of a game going around, to work on different phones with different size screens, etc."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, can people making suggestions about "free games" ensure that they are provided as free by their developers i.e. not how to get Warez or illegal copies of games...

so anyone who want's to make a suggestion - please specify only legal software with a link that outlines it is free and substiantiates it as such please...

thanks,
    BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Grand, I didn't supply a link just in case!

The reason I mentioned the jad is cause any phones I've tried need the jad to reference the jar; i.e. it won't download the jar file directly. Anyhow you could search for jad/jar and see if turns up anything legal. Google sees extensions as seperate words, so even if it has freewaregame.jar and freewaregame.jad as the names, it will see the jar and jad as seperate.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Just looking at the dope wars site there,
    I se "get dopewars for just $7"
    Where about do i get it for the "free price" on the url on the fone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

The *beta* version doesn't have an official page anymore at the official home of the developers, www.redteam.co.uk/dopewars, (they'd probably prefer you to buy the newer version!) however they mention on that page that the beta is still freely available on www.microjava.com But microjava only allows registered users to download it, so to save everyone the hassle of signing up, (its free but it takes a while)....

edit: i think we better let people sign up if they want it... it only took a minute and it outlines the License position at the point of download... rather than downloading from some 3rd party host...

thanks, BrianG

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Right, after signing up an all that
    looking at this page now on the pc
    http://www.microjava.com/downloads/games?content_id=1740

it says application location is http://www.microjava.com/downloads/dwbeta.zip (not actual url)

or am i typing the totally wrong url into the fone don't even think i should be downloading a .zip on the fone..

hi - that's just a zip compressed file - you download it to your computer and un-zip the contents - it's the .jar file containted in the .zip file you need to install on the phone

BrianG

yea I thought it was the .jar file
    so I uploaded the .jar file to my boards webspace, typed in the url into the fone and it sais "http://members url blah " already exists replace/rename so I clicked yes and it gave some error,

any ideas? I'm in a bid to buy a usb bluetooth device so I can just send the games wireless.. but itll take a few days to come from usa

what handset are you using, and which operator (post/pre pay)

might be able to email attach it depending on the handset and operator situation

BrianG

• Advertisement

I have nokia 3650 and i am on o2 using pre pay option.

ok -

well quickest would be by infrared or bluetooth

then copying to an MMC card and using a file explorer to locate and open (install) the file

or you could set up your pop email address and attach the file to address, use their GSM Dial-Up or GPRS ISP to connect

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106942

steps for GSM dial-up are provided in this thread in greg_f's post under Email over GSM (CSD) Settings

for GPRS ISP you need to use the pp.internet access point, so that out for the access point in the Postpay o2.ie Email over GPRS settings. O2's data support team on 1740 should be able to sort access to pp.internet if not already set-up for you.

hth,
    BrianG

Thanks Dub,
    I am setting up the settings now for my email,
    and then I'll just email myself from my hotmail account to my o2 address and attach the file and then read the message on my fone?
    I don't actualy have a mmc card yet, just wonder would you know what price range these cards are?

yup - you retrieve the email and open it, in the Options menu there should be an Attachement option, select this and you should see any attachments, i.e. DopeWars.jar and selecting that will begin the install process

here's some prices on MMC cards - but be aware that some cards aren't compatible with some devices (paticularly at higher capacities) - check this thread for some related info...

BrianG

Thanks for all you help brian.
    I sent myself an email and connected to it, i selected "retrieve all new mail"
    it was connecting and ended the call after 3 seconds...
    didn't show up any mail or anything, I also tried to send myself a test email, it connected and lasted only 3 seconds hmm..

what you mean by "some cards aren't compatible with some devices"
    by saying device's you mean different phones?

That url you gave me, i am looking at buying the 64meg card.. but i am gona go look around ebay see if I can get any better or whats the craic with them there

Originally posted by Lenny
    Thanks for all you help brian.
    I sent myself an email and connected to it, i selected "retrieve all new mail"
    it was connecting and ended the call after 3 seconds...
    didn't show up any mail or anything, I also tried to send myself a test email, it connected and lasted only 3 seconds hmm..

hi

you using the GSM Dial-Up or GPRS ISP pp.internet way of connecting? any error messages?

what you mean by "some cards aren't compatible with some devices"
    by saying device's you mean different phones?

they might work in say a camera - but put them in a smartphone or other device and they won't :( SD cards are usually more reliable in that regard.... but you can find ones that work in Nokia phones - you just have to be a bit more careful to check out the compatibility first

That url you gave me, i am looking at buying the 64meg card.. but i am gona go look around ebay see if I can get any better or whats the craic with them there

just need to be careful about what manufacturer (and brand) of card you purchase to ensure compatibility... always found shop4memory are great though - for price and customer service - - also they offer free shipping - which is were some ebayers make a killing!

if you do go with shop4memory just make sure they know it will be used in a Nokia Series 60 handset as the other thread I referred to seemd to have them sending out two different makes of MMC cards - one brand caused issues for some

BrianG

"you using the GSM Dial-Up or GPRS ISP pp.internet way of connecting? any error messages? "

connecting by o2 gsm mail
    did all the settings as in other topic

error message i seem to be getting now is "invaliad user name or password, check access point settings"

my access point settings are set to the gsm o2 mail
    my username is "oj"
    could my username be "oj(@)o2.ie" (don't want it to get spammed)

"you using the GSM Dial-Up or GPRS ISP pp.internet way of connecting? any error messages? "

connecting by o2 gsm mail
    did all the settings as in other topic

error message i seem to be getting now is "invaliad user name or password, check access point settings"

my access point settings are set to the gsm o2 mail
    my username is "oj"
    could my username be "oj(@)o2.ie" (don't want it to get spammed)

just to check the access point username should be register@o2.ie with a password of guest

as for the email username mine is set up with the same details i enter to log into the o2.ie website (withouth the @o2.ie)

BrianG

hmm, i don't have any username set as "register@o2.ie"
    I did have the password guest

I think I put "oj@o2.ie" in the place where "register.o2.ie" was supposed to go, thats what I thought was ment to go in was my email
    I'll change it now an report back :D

• Advertisement

yay, that was the problem, thanks a lot Brian, an there i was sayin to meself, if this doens't work i give up :D
    I downloaded the attachment and installed it
    gona email a few new games to meself now,
    do you know how much MB the 3650 has without a MMC card off by hand?
    and also, when checking email i see it rings the 086 number, am I just charged as a normal phone call to an 086 mobile while checking?
    thanks for all your help!! ;)

I see that the 3510i has email capabilities, do I use the same info that i used for my fone on that other thread to set that up aswell? cause a mate wants to email a game to himself too

yeah it's an 086 - 086 'on network' call

here's the specs of the 3650 - it has "3.4MB Shared Memory for Storage"

the 3510i doesn't have 'real' email capability, the 3650 has a proper real email client that can access POP/IMAP email accounts, the 3510i has a sms/email capability not really implemented by the operators here...

BrianG

Ahh, so he wouldn't really be able to email games to himself and download them?
    only 3.6 shared memory, jasus thats tiny. really think I should invest in a MMC card, was looking at ebay there, I see a lot of 128meg and 256 meg ones
    the 128 ones for the nokia 3650 and the ngate are about 40 euro's including delivery..
    but I may buy off that shop site to be kinda safe so I could bring it back and change it if it wasn't compatible with my fone

I don't see "086 on call - network" settings on the other thread?
    you have me a bit confused about what you mean exzactly about that?
    Thanks for helping me out I'm ****ing tired and didn't even think about looking at the nokia site for the specs of the memory..

just ment that it was an 086 (your handset) to 086 (their ISP) call within the O2 network (on network)

BrianG

Oh right, get yea know. thought you were talking about those were settings for the 3510i lol

Advertisement