Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Cayman and eDonkey2000

• 11-12-2003 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

eDonkey complains about being behind a firewall, despite my disabling Norton. It must be the modem, anyone know of any config. changes I need to make?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Forward the port(or port ranges) that eDonkey uses from your Modem straight to your PCs IP address in the configuration menu of your modem. I trust your modem has something like this?, from what I hear in these forums the Netopia is a router with DHCP capabilities???. I may be wrong in which case ignore what I said:D, but if there is a configuration menu like that for your modem then use it to forward the port/s eDonkey uses. Should help in the connection and downloading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

If you are you need to forward the ports. (Are you coming up with a LowID?)
    port 4662, 4711 TCP and port 4672 UDP – have to be forwarded
    This allows other clients to connect directly to you when you get to the top of thier queue.
    Try to connect to RazorBack or Probenprinz.de as these seem to have the most number of files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 CarpetFool

The only place in the Netopia config where it mentions this kind of thing is in a section called 'pinholes'. Could this be it?

If so, the fields to be filled in are:

Pinhole name
    Protocl select: TCP/UDP - ok
    External port start:
    External Port end:
    Internal IP address:
    Internal Port:

- the start and end thing is a bit confusing - maybe the same number for both. And what for the internal IP address?

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Yeah the pinhole settings are the ones. I had that exact problem with BitTorrent.

Pinhole - edonkey2000 (or whatever you want to call it)
    Protocol select - TCP
    Ext Port start - 4662 (You are opening the ports from 4662 to 4711)
    Ext port end - 4711
    Internal IP adress - This is the IP of your PC not the gateway (mistake I made) so run cmd.exe and type in ipconfig at the command prompt to get your machine's IP.
    Internal port - 4662

Protocol select - UDP
    Ext Port start - 4672
    Ext port end - 4672
    internal port - 4672

Also I don't know if this is relevant to you but I had to disable the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall/Internet connection sharing(ICS) in Control Panel\Administrative tools\Services and set them to not start on start up. My d/l speeds went from 4kb/s to 50kb/s. I'm not 100% sure about this so wait for someone else to confirm it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 CarpetFool

Thats great, thanks man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 monk

hi guys,
    i've tried using the same settings as you mentioned above, I've tured off ICF and ZoneAlarm, set the pinholes and even played around with the Nat Default Mode but I'm still getting grief from eDonkey/eMule.
    I'm running XP and its driving me mad aghhhhhh
    any ideas ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 monk

sorry about that, o forgot to click on the small exclamation mark in the top corner to save the changes and restart. what's wrong with having a button marked "save" ?
    ffs
    :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

on a seperate issue, my netopia cayman modem claims that im connected to the internet at 10.0Mbps. Is there a way of changing that so it says my real connection rate of 512bps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Gonzo
    on a seperate issue, my netopia cayman modem claims that im connected to the internet at 10.0Mbps. Is there a way of changing that so it says my real connection rate of 512bps?
    No that is not your connection to the internet it's your computers connection to your modem which is 10.0Mb....are you using a USB modem?, if so you may wanna try use ethernet......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah its connected via usb cable, i have an eternet cable also but have never used it, wots the difference between eternet and usb?

• Advertisement
Advertisement