Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV givin me gip

• 11-12-2003 12:11am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I've been losing my connection to UTV sporadically over the last few days and I'm trying to figure out if it's me or UTV. Kicks in and out three or four times (Trillian goes loopy connecting and disconnecting) and then comes back up. There's a little noise on my line too, so it could be that. Anyone else having problems like this?

Thanks,
    adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Running fine here but a friend in Maynooth has been having the same problem over tha last few days and coincidently has awful noise on his line too.

He's with UTV and the noise appeared a few days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

exact same thing happening here. Tuesday night it died and I gave up trying to reconnect and last night it stayed connected (according to my router) but I couldnt connect to anything, msn, email, www, take your pick I couldnt get it.

I thought it was just me so I reset everything, router, modem even my laptop but no luck. If it happens again tonight I'll be lubing up the supplied modem and returning it with great force into a cavity of the nearest tech support rep.

Actually.. havent checked for noise on the line.. I'll do that when I get home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

How long have you had bband? I got virgin DSL 3 weeks ago and it was wrecking my head, cutting out several times a day and I had two outages of over 12 hours each. I rang virgin and they passed it to BT who called me that day and arranged to come out, hooked up a laptop and diagnosed a fibre break....in the exchange. So I was all fixed up within 24 hours of lodging a fault ticket.
    Might be worth getting your line checked, is the moral of the story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Iv been witrh UTV ip since the start
    mine is givin me loadsa **** too , they tried to tell me the problem was on my end , i canceled my account and signed up with eircom flat rate

out of interest just rang eircom to get a line test done. There is a fault on the line but I havent a clue what. Couldnt understand the thick dub accent from the other end of the phone.

This has only surfaced recently because my line was only activated about 3 weeks ago. Time will tell what the hell is up with my line I suppose. Until then, I'll keep blaming UTV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by rymus
    out of interest just rang eircom to get a line test done. There is a fault on the line but I havent a clue what. Couldnt understand the thick dub accent from the other end of the phone.

Call back and ask what the fault is. Was it someone from your local exchange who called?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There seems to be connection problems recently onClicksilver especially at weekends. These would be more disconnects I suppose to be more specific in that one moment your grand and then you are disconnected. Last night or early this morning I found it nearly impossible to get a webpage to load for about an hour or so and then it was fine. Normally I get about 400 from giganews last night it was so slow I was actually getting a read of 1 !!!

I have posted it about this in the UTV support group several times but like most Clicksilver topics UTV chose to ignore it. Other people have also postged about disconnects in the group so its not just me.

Originally posted by eth0_
    Call back and ask what the fault is. Was it someone from your local exchange who called?

I called them and no it wasnt a local engineer, probably some call centre goon. If I dont hear from them by the time I'm finished work I'll make further enquiries.

Weiiiiiird... They just rang to ask if I was getting noise on voice calls. Dont know, never made a voice call on my line.. Progress is being made however

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

What exchange are you on rymus? Douglas is it?

adam

yup, only about 15 mins (slow) walk from the exchange

• Advertisement

Got a call from a local eircom engineer this morning telling me he had tested and was sorting my line. Found noise on the line but had successfully sorted it apparently. I've been switched to another DSL port in the exchange and he said he'd ring me again on Monday to see how I'm getting on.

If theres no occurance of UTV Daily Downtime™ tonight or over the weekend I'll be convinced that nice mr engineer man has sorted it.

Well worth getting the same process done on your line Adam, at least to get it tested to know for sure if its you or UTV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yeah, I rang them this morning rymus. The chap said that the line was testing fine, but he could hear the noise. Logged it but I prolly won't hear from them until Monday.

adam

balls... ahh well, at least it's logged anyway. They were pretty quick dealing with mine by all accounts

Advertisement