Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL Last 16 Draw

• 11-12-2003 1:13am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

With the draw on friday, who are the Utd/Chel/Ars fans looking for/to avoid?

Winners:
    Lyon
    Arsenal
    Monaco
    Juventus
    Manchester Utd
    Real Madrid
    Chelsea
    AC Milan

Runners Up:
    Bayern Munich
    Lokomotiv Moscow
    Deportivo La Coruna
    Real Sociedad
    VfB Stuttgart
    FC Porto
    Sparta Prague
    Celta Vigo

Bayern look the obvious one to avoid. I'd be very happy if Arsenal got Celta Vigo or Sociedad. Lyon look like the weak link of the winners, i'd question Monaco aswell.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

utd v bayern

you know its going to happen:D

prague and porto wont be too bad either

the ones to avoid is bayern and depo
    that would be a bad draw for anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Man Utd will get Bayern or Deportivo...the tea-leaves say so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Originally posted by Space Coyote
    Man Utd will get Bayern or Deportivo...the tea-leaves say so.
    ah yes the all wise tea leaves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Well, as an Arsenal fan who can actually remember our last couple of visits to Spain, I would definitely not like to get Deportivo. On the other hand, I think Bayern are a pretty poor team by European standards these days. I'd have no problem with drawing them.

Real Sociadad and Celta Vigo are unknown quantities really. Real were brilliant all last season in the Primera Liga, but they're in the relegation zone this year. They might be at the easier end of the draw, but then again we've seen teams like Valencia and Bayer Leverkusen come from nowehere to go on a good CL run in the past couple of years, so who knows?

Stuttgart looked fairly impressive the other night, despite going down 2-0, but on their day, they can beat anyone. It'd be themselves and Deportivo I'd be worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

It is most likely that one of the two german teams will draw Real (they are not allowed to play any other spanish team, nor Porto). I think it will be Stuttgart. Any my guess is, that the other german team will pla an english team (hopefully Arsenal).

I agree that Bayern doesn`t play well at the moment, but you never know what will happen after the winter break. That`s when they normally start to be impressive. And they certainly have the players to cause an upset. I don`t think any of the 8 seeded teams fancy a trip to Bayern or La Coruna.

Most of them are looking for Prague or Moscow, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Surely some mistake? Wheres the makeweight team for Utd to draw ?;)

Im glad someone else mentioned Stuttgart, theyre a much better team than that result the other night gives them credit for. Wouldnt mind the gunners avoiding them along with depo and bayern (Although i seem to remember arsenal hammering depo in the cup winners cup a few years ago... seems a very long time ago now )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Surely some mistake? Wheres the makeweight team for Utd to draw ?

They,re some lightweights called Arsenal this Year.:D

Bound to crack up when the pressure is on but unfortunately unlikely to be there for the next round .;)

Seriously though Draws dont bother me as the best team wins this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

suppose you dont count lyon or monaco light weight then??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

I definitely count Lyon and Monaco as lightweights.

I want Utd to draw Bayern in this one.

I want to avoid all English teams at all costs after that.

If Arsenal or Chelsea were to win the Cl, that would really bother me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Ronaldo7 - you have just divulged your football knowledge. United can't draw Chelsea or Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Originally posted by kida
    Ronaldo7 - you have just divulged your football knowledge. United can't draw Chelsea or Arsenal.

Ronaldo7 said that he would like Man Utd to draw Bayern in this round and avoid the English teams after that i.e. in subsequent rounds. As it's an open draw from the last 8 onwards, how is what he said incorrect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

Live: Champions League draw

VfB Stuttgart v CHELSEA
    Porto v MANCHESTER UNITED
    Real Sociedad v Lyon
    Celta Vigo v ARSENAL
    Bayern Munich v Real Madrid

Sparta Prague v AC Milan
    Deportivo La Coruna v Juventus
    Lokomotiv Moscow v Monaco

First legs to be played 24/25 February.

Good Draw for the English clubs Arsenal probably the hardest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by jank
    suppose you dont count lyon or monaco light weight then??

It hardly matters what i count them as since Utd couldnt have drawn them

Advertisement