Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crap installs

Options
  • 11-12-2003 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭

Gah, spent ages installing Office2000. It goes thusly...
    Insert Office2000 Disk 1 & install - ok
    Insert Office2000 Disk 2 & install - ok
    Insert Service Pack 3 Disk & install - error
    - needs Service Pack 1
    - which for some reason they don't put on the SP3 CD :mad:
    Insert Service Pack 1 Disk & install
    - needs Office2000 Disk 1
    Insert Office2000 Disk 1
    - needs Office2000 Disk 2
    Insert Office2000 Disk 2
    Insert Service Pack 3 Disk & install
    - has to be extracted to a temp folder, browsed to and manually initiated (It's on a CD FFS! There's no need to compress the thing!)
    Insert Office2000 Disk 1
    - needs Office2000 Disk 2
    Insert Office2000 Disk 2
    Install downloaded addins - guess what??
    Insert Office2000 Disk 1...
    ...and that's it! Office 2000 installed. Eventually :rolleyes:

Compared to the simplicity of a Windows 2000 slipstreamed Service Pack install, it's a joke, but not of the haha kind :(

[/rant]

What's the worst install you've had? Another stupid uninstall (Adaptec EasyCD Creator) thought it'd be funny to take the CD drivers with it, in an ex-wife type "RIGHT! I'm taking the TV, car and the dog, effectively leaving me without a drive to re-install the bloody thing! ('cept I had Goback so I could undo it without too much pain :)

It is what it's.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭GRAHAM2002

What O/S are u trying install office on:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

What version of Office is that? I have OfficeXP Pro on one Disc and it has never given me any problems installing [Win 98, 2000 Server, 2000 Pro, XP Pro]. It has always been nice to me. Very stupid to have ServicePack3 on a disc that also requires ServicePack 1 to install but not to have Service Pack 1 on the disc.

I have found installing game recently getting annoying [Insert Dic 1, Insert Disc 2, Insert Disc 1 again]. Why can they not just stick it on DvD :rolleyes: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Winters, are you kidding? Look again! :p
    Originally posted by oneweb
    Gah, spent ages installing Office2000. It goes thusly... [snip] Office2000 [snip] Office2000 [snip] Office2000 [snip] Office2000 [snip] Office2000 [snip] Office2000 [snip] Office2000 [snip] Office2000 [snip] Office2000 [snip] Office2000 [snip] Office2000 [snip] Office2000 [snip]...and that's it! Office 2000 installed.

I always found it a complete balls trying to install the Office Service Packs, so I'm glad I've moved up a couple of versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's been quite a while since I used Office 2k but having windows installer 2.0 (that msi thing) rather than 1.0 might help

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Try the O2K resource kit (not sure if it works with the retail CD or just the licensing ones)

Profile Wizard - captures all your tweaks (always create backup - 9 files in list etc.)
    Custom Installation Wizard - creates a script so you can install from a batch file and new users get these settings too.

setup.exe TRANSFORMS=D:\off2000\MySettings.mst /qb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

had one recently when i went to uninstall MS office from a work machine, and it prompted for the office 97 cd, which is long gone, strange that. Also wouldn`t let me upgrade. A couple of regedit entries would have sorted it but i formated and installed open office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Same thing, I was uninstalling Office 2000 and it kept demanding the disc. It wouldn't actually let me uninstall it til I dug it out. I mean, ffs, I don't know of any other program that needs the installation medium to get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Not much help with the office problems shall I be (sorry! :(), I'm useless! :D

But as for crap installs, the crappest of the crap, Steam, courtosey of VALVe. To think the beta was so nice and lovely! What happened? Lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by GRAHAM2002
    What O/S are u trying install office on:confused:
    Windows 2000 SP4, the operating system for which Office 2000 was aimed at primarily! I'm in the process of creating a custom CD with transform :)

It is what it's.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Looking for CD - oh the joy..
    Found project 97 on a reception machine once. So in the end I had to install Project 2000 on a 133MHz PC , tell the install to remove 97 files and then uninstall 2000. Took bloody ages to free up enough space it...

Also for some reason when you install some SR's it needs the CD - though microsoft deny it is for copyprotection...

I always loved that bit where Outlook is called "an office family member" it reminds me of the child they don't talk about.,

Oh yeah - Open office should be there under the bonnet for recovering corrupt excel/word docs... unreal how many times you can fix stuff by just opening and saving it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Sweeet, Microsoft Office 2000 SR3 install now:

Insert Office2000 Disk 1 & install - ok
    Install addins
    Insert Office2000 Disk 2 & install - ok

TADA!! Finito :)

How? Easy really (not really :p)
    Install Office as an administrative installation point*
    Install Service Pack1 to admin point*
    Install Service Pack3 to admin point*
    Install Patches to admin point *
    Create custom transform (thx Capt'n ;))
    Copy addins
    Burn to CD

(*with the usual Disk 1, Disk 2 thing)

Now, if only I had a lrge number of PCs to install on...

It is what it's.

Advertisement