Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What Car - Constant 120/150mph

Options
  • 11-12-2003 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I am thinking of heading over to Europe next year for a driving holiday. With the liberal speed limits in some countries over there you can be rest assured I am going to full advantage.

I am going to buy a car for my trip up to €5k

My question is this - for that money what cars would be able to handle been constantly driven at 120-150mph for long periods???

I have one in mind - 1992 bmw 740.

anyone else any suggestions?????

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BogoBot

I've done a couple of these trips......its a very enjoyable way to travel.

A BMW 740 will use a *huge* amount of petrol at these steady speeds so bear this in mind. In my experience, its not the engine size that really counts on these trips as you are only really accelerating occaisionally. Look for a car that is stable and comfortable at speed.

If you could afford/find one, I would go for a high end Audi diesel. I spent some time with an A6 2.5tdi 6-speed estate that could do almost 750 miles between refuelling.
    Other options would be a Saab LPT.

Final point......watch your tyres! They are worth spending money on...make sure that the tyres are ZR rated and are in good nick. Many cars sold in Ireland are equipped with tyres that are not rated for the potential speed of the car.

Final final point....AA membeship (or org of your choice).....just do it.

Where are you headed?

Bogobot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 evoIIman

Im heading for france onto germany then into italy and back up through France.

Re feul consumption - not bothered at all about it. The main aim of the trip is to drive as hard as i can for as long as I can

I accpet your point re the diesl audi but its not my gig!

I want a big engined petrol car with loads of power!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

if your budget is only 5k, I'd be more worried about the thing falling apart at 140

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 evoIIman

not at all - a 740 is built like a tank! plenty of motors from 1986 onwards under the 5k mark that would be the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

How about a Jaguar ???

Spotted this add in buy and sell

For Sale
    Jaguar XJ6 '93. 3.2l, met silver, leather interior, all elec, c/l, driver's airbag, lhd, heated seats, c/l, elec seats, CD player, vgc, Price: €5,500 Contact: 087-*******

Not quite sure if the engine would handle being driven at 130mph constantly though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

I think the 740 is probably your best bet, though as has been said, would drink juice. If you stick closer to 120 than 150, you might be able to pick up a vw corrado for under 5 grand.
    Whatever you buy, you are going to have to get it well checked out and serviced beforehand. I did a road trip up and down the west coast of america this summer in a saab 900, very reliable car, and only $650 :) But I wasn't doing that crazy sort of speed, only cruised at about 80.

Originally posted by evoIIman
    Im heading for france onto germany then into italy and back up through France.

Re feul consumption - not bothered at all about it. The main aim of the trip is to drive as hard as i can for as long as I can

I accpet your point re the diesl audi but its not my gig!

I want a big engined petrol car with loads of power!

Yep....can't fault you there. I've done bits of that run. If you find yourself in Belgium, keep an eye on your speed as they have become quite keen on car confiscations for anything over 99mph.

If you are going to be in southern Germany, try to stop by the Nurburgring. A 740i BMW would be a hoot around it.

Have good trip and let us know how you got on.

Bogobot.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,355 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The main aim of the trip is to drive as hard as i can for as long as I can

LOL - nice one
    With the liberal speed limits in some countries

Only in Germany and only on certain (parts) of the Autobahn - check this out to maximise your mileage on these roads ;)
    I have one in mind - 1992 bmw 740.

Sounds just about perfect to me

Lexus LS400, Merc S class, Audi A8 would be more expensive and less fun to drive. If you can find a 4.2 or 5.3 Jaguar that might be an alternative, but it will probably break down somewhere with nobody able to fix it. No such problem with a Beamer in Germany m8 ;)

BTW I don't know why the 740 should use that much petrol. It is aerodynamically built and I would expect somewhere in the region of 15MPG at a constant 120MPH, reasonable enough, isn't it?
    Originally posted by BogoBot
    If you are going to be in southern Germany, try to stop by the Nurburgring.

That is a great suggestion - the Nurburgring is a public road where you pay a modest fee (per lap afaik) to have great fun. I have video about two americans in a M5 kicking the asses of a bunch of 911's while talking away to each other and obviously having the time of their lives :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Originally posted by unkel
    the Nurburgring is a public road where you pay a modest fee (per lap afaik) to have great fun

I wouldn't call the Nurburgring a public road :). what you're talking about is the Nordschleiffe, its part of the old Nurburg Ring race circuit, and its not for the faint hearted. Its been designated as a one way autobahn without speed limits, and you pay to drive laps of it. Lots of people died on this before they closed it for racing as it was too dangerous ... more people have died on it since they opened it in its current form :)

Originally posted by ButcherOfNog
    I wouldn't call the Nurburgring a public road :). what you're talking about is the Nordschleiffe, its part of the old Nurburg Ring race circuit, and its not for the faint hearted. Its been designated as a one way autobahn without speed limits, and you pay to drive laps of it. Lots of people died on this before they closed it for racing as it was too dangerous ... more people have died on it since they opened it in its current form :)

Er....we *have* to call it a public road. Means the insurance companies have to provide cover. (yes, this is highly contentious).

If this does make it onto your list, visit Ben Lovejoys site....its the definitive word getting to the 'ring and gettin to go home again.

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/index.html

I found this one useful.....details the autobahn rules ad German roadsigns.

http://home.att.net/~texhwyman/autobahn.htm

Bogobot.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ButcherOfNog
    I wouldn't call the Nurburgring a public road :). what you're talking about is the Nordschleiffe,

Thanks for being more precise :)

Great links BogoBot :cool:

Anyone else see that video about the M5?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

I'd fly to Germany to say Munich, I'd hunt around on the deutch car webs in advance, and without much bother (or so I hear) arrange test drives of 2nd hand motors from garages. (its possible to clear this with your Insurance Company)

For the money nothing, and I mean nothing, is going to beat the experience of taking a late 80's (88/89) BMW M3 for a burn around south germany, and while your at it Switzerland... just this summer i held 115-120mph for over an hour in a Opel Zafira of all things, was overtakin by porsches/ferraris at what seemed like twice my speed!

Then drive all the way back here, pay to import it, sell it and MAKE money from the whole process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Original Saab 9000 turbo.

Saab did a marketing endurance test thingy when first released where they left 3 of them going round a circular test track for a couple weeks. At the end they had done an average of in excess of 130MPH during the endurance test.

Originally posted by llatsni
    a late 80's (88/89) BMW M3

Nice motor, but no chance you can get one for under €5k, not even in Germany ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Anyone else see that video about the M5?

Haven't seen an M5 video, I did see the infamous RUF CTR one, absolutely insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

Nice motor, but no chance you can get one for under €5k, not even in Germany ;)

Ok, maybe not €5k, at least not for a decent example, but under €10k is a sure bet...

chek dis:
    http://listings.ebay.de/aw/plistings/list/all/category15315/index.html

Some of those m3s for under €10k are 92's or later!!

Sweet.

Originally posted by NeRb666
    I did see the infamous RUF CTR one, absolutely insane.

What that? Any link m8?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

sticking with beemers - an E34 525i/530i would be more than capable...and would leave you with plenty of change from your 5k

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

My dad has a Ford Scorpio 2.9 Cosworth which he will be selling very soon. Ugly as sin, but **** fast and very comfortable to travel in, and under your 5k budget. Anyone interested please reply here.

Originally posted by kdevitt
    sticking with beemers - an E34 525i/530i would be more than capable

The 530i would, but then only the '93-'95 V8 32 valve - got one so know what I'm talking about :cool: Constant 130Mph on a decent motorway feels like doing about 90Mph in a family saloon

the 540i (same engine) has a bit more power again :)

Then again the predecessor of the 530i V8 was the 535i straight 6. It will perform almost as well as the 530i V8.
    Originally posted by kdevitt
    and would leave you with plenty of change from your 5k

Not for the 530i V8 or 540i V8 or maybe you could, but prolly only knackered / high mileage ones. I suppose they would do the trick ;)

The 535i was manufactured between '88 and '92 so you'd deffo get one for under €5k

Or it's your lucky day and you are able to find a '89 M5 for under €5k - it is possible :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement