Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mcsa

Options
  • 11-12-2003 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone here done this certification? Am considering doing it myself....just not entirely sure how useful it'll be to me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

I've completed it.

It's a much more practical qualification that the MCSE. It focusses more on a 'hands on' role. If you plan on administrating a WIndows network, it's a must have. The It gives a very good general knowledge of Windows and Windows servers, while concentrating on networking and security.

Considiring it's only 4 exams, and W2K Server/Server 03 & W2K pro/XP are pretty easy, I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

How long did it take you to complete all the exams? Did you self study?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

Colm

where did u sit the tests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

I self studied, and completed it in about a year.

I didn't put myself under any real pressure to complete it. The most difficult exam was by far the 70-216 exam - Network Infrasstructure.

I'd recommend using the ExamCram books in conjunction with the Microsoft Self Test books.

I registered on www.2test.com and they have sites listed on their website. The selection of test centres has decreased a lot in the last 2 years though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Did it on way to MCSE , through self study and then a Boot camp
    found it very helpfull in trying to get a job.

I used the Sybex books and found them very through get yourself a copy
    of Win 2k server but in on your machine and play with it.

Did it through a crowd in Galway called Passax cost around 6k or so but imo
    worth it if you are trying actively to get a job it just might be the slight advantage
    couple that with some basics certs like the NEt + and A+ which also qualify for
    electives for the MCSA

These will give you a good start imo , John Doe MCP , MCSA , Net + , A + add to that
    your interest , say I also currently studying towards my CCNA and you should be
    fine .

I do take your also doing this towards getting a new job or an increase in salery
    if you got that much done , mix in a bit of experiance and their you go a decent
    Cv for looking for work , OC this also depends what role you are looking for
    etc

hope this helps a little

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 no1lfcfan

I've done my MCSE in abot 1 year. I used CBT Nuggets (see below link). They are videos and they go through a each topic in sessions of 30mins. They are great to have as a refernce too.

http://www.cbtnuggets.com

For the exam questions go to http://www.testking.com/ They are spot on with the questions.

Good luck!!

Advertisement