Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No need for taxes ???

Options
  • 11-12-2003 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

Hello peeps,
    I am odering a product from a U.S. based manufacturer to the value of $250 + $70 shipping.

Now, they tell me they have a European base for which to supply the countries of Europe, it works out a small bit cheaper 'cos of reduced shipping costs. Heres the thing, when I went to the checkout they added on $60 in taxes ! So the grand total will be $370
    I thought the transfer of goods within the EU would not be due anything like this ?
    Is it because the product is manufactured in the U.S. ?

If I buy from the U.S. warehouse it will cost total $315 total, 'cos of no taxes applied, I know that's a risk. It's only $55, but living in this country it makes a difference worth talking about.

Hope I've made myself understandable.
    Can someone explain it briefly ? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The courier delivering to you will collect the taxes (import duty plus VAT) on behalf of Customs. So you are looking at a false economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ShaneHogan

Originally posted by Dr. Dre
    when I went to the checkout they added on $60 in taxes !
    This may have nothing to do with customs charges. All US shops (physical shops & online shops) will add on sales tax on top of the initial price displayed. So in the physical shops, the price on the shelf may well not be the price at the till (depending on local/state tax rates). They don't have any of the EU laws which require inclusive pricing to be displayed to consumers online or offline.

Attempt the same purchase with a US address & see if it adds in the same tax amount - this will tell you if it is a customs charge or a local sales tax.

Advertisement