Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocking my sony dav-s550 dvd player

Options
  • 11-12-2003 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

guys,
    this seems to be a nightmare to unlock .

anyone had any experience with them unlocking wise ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

There was athread on here recently about unlocking sonys. You'll need a palm pilot and some downloadable software. Do a search. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

i am looking for method without pda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Do you have a laptop with IR port by any chance? Or a pocket PC? Or a Philips Pronto? I have the IR hex codes if there is some way you can get them transmitted to your Sony! Don't know of any other way of making the machine multi-region, sorry.

robbie ya i do

i tried that method but i wasnt sure which screen in the manufacturers menu to
    send the codes too

if ya could just bring me through it ,it would be appreciated

Presuming you said yes you have a laptop with IR port, here is the guide I followed and it worked out for me perfectly:

1. Download Winsamp here: http://www.veg.nildram.co.uk/remote13.zip
    This program will emulate an IR remote on your laptop
    2. Extract the package onto a bootable DOS floppy disk. (this step is very important, I tried to use the software directly out of Windows before, but without success)
    3. Download this IR code file and place it in the same directory as the package above. This file holds the five necessary IR codes converted to the format used by winsamp.exe. http://www.selen.org/files/REMOTE.TXT 4. Boot up your PC from the floppy disk and run winsamp.exe. If your IRDA port doesn't appear as COM2 you may override this by using an appropriate command line switch. For example, use COM1 by running 'winsamp C1'.
    5. Press the 'r' key to load up the codes into winsamp.
    6. Turn on the Player.
    7. Hold down "Display" and "Stop" and and while keeping them pressed turn the volume knob to the right. Service IN mode should appear. (there's no need to hold "Prev" and it doesn't need to show "Mecha Lock", when it shows "SERVICE IN" you're ready to go)
    8. Make sure your DVD player is in "Service IN" mode and your IRDA port is within range.
    9. Run the IR codes from 1 to 5 by pressing Enter on each corresponding button.
    10. Your DVD player should now display "DATA RESET".
    11. Press the power button on the player remote.
    12. Plug it out for 5-10 seconds.
    13. Start it again, and play your region 1 ect. discs !!

• Advertisement

robbie ya thanks

i followed that guide

and i wasnt sure of the following

once the dvd player was in SERVICE IN mode

what sub menu do i then send the codes to the dvd player at?

Yeah actually I think I remember coming across the same issue now that you mention it. Is there a submenu called 'System Diagnosis' or similar? Try pressing button 0, see what menu it is. Once you are in the sub menu, continue to press 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. The system should reset, or screen goes blank or something. It is important to switch the player off using the power button on the front panel. Once you switch it back on, you should be in business!

Let me know if it works for you.

cheers man
    i have the codes stored in a multifunction sony remote so give it a whirl now

ah you should be laughing now so!

still not working ..
    jesus what am i doing wrong

• Advertisement

Do you mean it's still not working with the codes from the universal remote or from the laptop? Where did the codes you have in the remote come from? Perhaps they are not the right codes, or if you learned them from the laptop, maybe the laptop is not outputting them correctly.

ya
    im getting a new laptop on wed so try it with it..

listen
    did u send the codes from the application running in windows

or the application running in just dos ?

As far as I can remember it was from Windows. It says in the guide to create a floppy and run the program from that, but I'm fairly sure I didn't have to do that. I was going to try it first and then from the floppy if it didn't work. But it did, for me.

Advertisement