Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish Infrastructure

Options
  • 11-12-2003 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

**Please don't close this thread. 2 of my threads have been closed for reasons I cannot understand**
    Irish Infrastructure. Well, first of all it's sh*te. The Police service, the transportation service, the roads, the Hospitals (or lack there of). They are all of Eastern European quality. Fair enough, the roads from Dublin to NI have vastly inproved in recent years, for reasons none other than to keep up with the far superior roads of NI.
    This country is build on very shaky foundations. Isn't it about time Irieland joined the rest of the EU and dragged itself into the 21st Century? For decades upon decades Fianna Fail dithered about happy to just be independent, blaming poor conditions on the British. Making excuses to why this shambles of a Country was not their fault. Then the EU came along and brought us from the 19th to the 20th Century. And we happily lived off other countries again. But now we have taken more than enough and we are expected to give back, give what? We have nothing.. If the whole Independence trend didn't come into fashion so much in the early part of the 20th Century, maybe we could have bit our tounges and remained in the U.K. We would be getting handouts just as much as we did from the EU. Maybe we would have better infrastructure too? Who knows. All I know is that this Country belongs beside Romania, Bulgaria and Poland.

Now once again,
    **Please don't close this thread. I am posting a topic I feel is of importance**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by L4
    [BIf the whole Independence trend didn't come into fashion so much in the early part of the 20th Century, maybe we could have bit our tounges and remained in the U.K. [/B]
    gonna get myself a seat and some popcorn and watch the flamming begin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

insert obnoxious 'playing card' here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭L4

Originally posted by Karoma
    you'd treated like **** in your own country, but at least you'd have decent roads... muppet.
    Not entirely true. If you base it on treatment 400yrs ago well then yes. But Scotland are hardly treated like sh*t in their own country are they? They're getting on fine.
    It wouldn't have to be the U.K, we could invite the U.S to come and rule us. Or pledge alligiance to another large power. Then we wouldn't have to give back like we do with the EU.

*gets pitch fork ready*

yipee, its troll hunting season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i agree with some of what you say :eek:
    this country is in bits with infrastructure, hospitals etc.

Mossy faints

• Advertisement

we've given up our culture and adopted 'american culture' (not so much a culture,as more a noticable lack thereof-ie POP),we go to war with them,we allow the backbone of their economy (multi nationals) take full advantage of what little we have to offer and get huge tax concessions to do so...so, what difference? ireland is the 51st state.. do you think that if we sang their national anthem they'd give us better roads? hah.

perhaps we're looking at this the wrong way: let's take over countries with better infrastructure (Like albania,malta...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Originally posted by L4
    If the whole Independence trend didn't come into fashion so much in the early part of the 20th Century, maybe we could have bit our tounges and remained in the U.K.

eh ... I dont' know where to go with this statement ... I do know if I was to type what I just said when I read that thread, I'd be banned from Boards for life!! :mad:

L4> Do you like starting arguements, because you have a great ability to rile people!!

Yes, our infrastructure is a mess ... Yes, our government could be better [again I want to scream abuse, but I'll bite my tongue ... but I personally wouldn't give up all the lives that were lost in gaining our independence, so that we could get handouts from a foreign state & maybe decent roads :rolleyes:

l4, what exactly have you done to improve the situation? apart from posting a thread on boards.ie ... which will get sooo much done... hah hah.

we've given up our culture and adopted 'american culture' (not so much a culture,as more a noticable lack thereof-ie POP),we go to war with them,we allow the backbone of their economy (multi nationals) take full advantage of what little we have to offer and get huge tax concessions to do so...so, what difference? ireland is the 51st state.. do you think that if we sang their national anthem they'd give us better roads? hah.

Not yet Karoma. Nothings Official. But by God, if we tried hard enough, sent all our troups to aid the Iraqi operation, and offered to pladge allegiance to the U.S.A, I don't think they would reject us. But it's not likely.
    Whatever happens, we need a better country to live in. Theres no point in singing 'A Nation once again' etc, if we have a crap nation.

most americans think they are irish or have strong roots with ireland. maybe they could join us. then we can take over the world :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

l4, what exactly have you done to improve the situation? apart from posting a thread on boards.ie ... which will get sooo much done... hah hah.

Well It's a discusion board. I would like to see if anyone else has to sense to curb their pride to provide a better living enviroment for our children and their children etc etc.

shutup.jpg

i don't like children. i don't like americans. so,no. i'll hold on to my semtex and bitterness. or at least until you come up with something remotely productive.

i feel so durty...

There will always be the spectics. Do you like the U.K? They are very much the same as us, and would provide infrastructures similar to NI, Wales & Scotchland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

L4 in all fairness you are stating the obvious, although I salute the gusto with which you rant, blunt and viceral- just the way I like it.
    I agree mostly; on second thoughts let's not stay in Ireland, it is a silly place.

Although let's say one thing- sh1te as Ireland's infrastructure at least we have some semblane of social welfare, and although healthcare in this country is appauling, at least it doesn't come with an astronomical pricetag- two reasons our infrastructure is superior to many 1st world countries, most noteably the US. Cellular networks being another one.

There's exceptions to every rule, but yeh, ultimatly I agree.
    You're argument is pretty much fair, although in all honesty Ireland, being a colony and not an autonomous nation, never did have an industrial (and consequently agricultural) revolution which sets it apart from many if not all European nations.
    Therefore we went from the 3rd world to 1st world in a matter of decades, and from the Feudal age to the Information Age (sic) in the same time. That's quite an undertaking when u consider it, kudos to those who, back in the day, industrialised (and well, electrified) the country, they didn't really know what they were doing in some instances but still...

Of course many still don't know what they're doing and that's the problem.

Still all be said, I think (with the exception of DSL) I'd much rather be back in Ireland's dark ages than our new quasi-American supposedly squeaky-clean fake Ireland- I feel like this country isn't my own any more. Call me old fashioned but I'd much rather turn on the tv and hear Arthur Murphy reading old womens letters bitching about the "lewd behaviour" on Glenroe than see one more episode of Jackass or one more pubescent primadonna humilliating herself in a bid to become a "Star!"

(for the record rants generally are treated with special gloves before being dumped into the recycle bin- although I've never seen them recycled. I'm in a mind to get the name changed to the Pit of Eternal Idiocy or somesuch title but if I put forwared such an idea it'd no doubt end up recycled)

Originally posted by The Beer Baron

Still all be said, I think (with the exception of DSL) I'd much rather be back in Ireland's dark ages than our new quasi-American supposedly squeaky-clean fake Ireland- I feel like this country isn't my own any more. Call me old fashioned but I'd much rather turn on the tv and hear Arthur Murphy reading old womens letters bitching about the "lewd behaviour" on Glenroe than see one more episode of Jackass or one more pubescent primadonna humilliating herself in a bid to become a "Star!"

When did you live in Ireland's dark ages? How do you know you would like it? Such a suggestion is quite proposturous. Would you like to succumb to the Church's every demand? Would you like to come home in the Evenings to your filth dirty cottage where your wife will be running around after your 12 children who in turn are chasing after a gang of chickens. A time where, if one of your children were to become seriously ill your most likely going to have to bury him/her within a month.
    Where there is no hot water, electricity, nothing. Unless of course your a Prodestant, then you'll be set.
    By the by, Scotland is a colony, yet Scotland still had an Industrial Revolution!! A vast amount of Europe was colonys of one of their neighbours, yet they aren't in a fix like us. We should be ashamed of ourselfs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Faust

i don't like children. i don't like americans. so,no. i'll hold on to my semtex and bitterness. or at least until you come up with something remotely productive.

i feel so durty...

I don't like kids either but I'm pretty sure it's racist to hate Americans. It's like saying "I hate europeans". America(and europe) are so diverse you can't actually even make a semi-reasonable judgement about the people there. Just because you think a certain percentage represents the masses and you get a certain perspective from the american "establishment's" actions and from television does not mean you can actually take such an odious stance. Sorry.. i get riled up about prejudices..

And btw L4, I hope this thread gets closed and you get banned because all you do is provoke people to argument with unfounded and down right proposterous statements. I'll assume you have some variety of psychological disorder which makes you crave attention whether positive or negative :/

Why should I get banned? I'm mearly suggesting something that I believe in!!
    I was a frequent poster on another site before and didnot get these kind of responses. Some of the folk on here have short fuses. That's all.
    You want me banned because people disagree with me? Your not racist, yet your a facist. Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Faust

Originally posted by L4

You want me banned because people disagree with me? Your not racist, yet your a facist. Amazing.

Suppressing opinion is not facism, although it was used by facism it was also used by many other régimes. Just because Hitler hated jews does mean that if someone hates jews they are a nazi it means they are anti-semetic. But anyway by accusing me of being a facist you are bolstering my claim that you provoke people for attention. Anyway I'm not replying to anymore of your posts as i do not wish to feed you attention addiction.

And by the way anyone who replies to this guys posts is just feeding a sick man's addictions and is worse than hitler!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ur mentor

I think Ireland is doing pretty good all things considered. Sure there are some problems. there are solutions being implemented. probably too slowly for most and certainly for those affected.
    The country has gone through rapid changes, socially, econonically and culturally. Most change is worrying, sometimes scary.
    we need to look to the future and try to steer it in little ways, otherwise others will bring us in a direction we may not like.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

The problem is that some of the solutions are making matters worse... more moey for roads seems to get eaten up in cost inflation, the Luas is hurting Dublin and while it may help aleviate things a bit it's not the whole solution. Motor ways are being planned but they are to be tolled, it's not as if the motorist already [pays billions into the exchequer every year. What is the point in building new roads and bridges to decrease travel times only to stall people at toll booths. Public Private partnership hasn't gotten the state value for money, in a time of rock bottom interest rates private companies can expect to get 14% returns on investments that are very low risk. It isn't a balanced risk-return situation.
    We are a third-world broadbamd country with only promises to get us up to a second world broadband country. It's time someone actually led the country and took ownership of an integrated transport vision, that would usually be the taoiseach's job at the end of the day, but vision and taoiseach don't go well together today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ur mentor

Originally posted by star gazer
    [. Public Private partnership hasn't gotten the state value for money, in a time of rock bottom interest rates private companies can expect to get 14% returns on investments that are very low risk. It isn't a balanced risk-return situation.
    . [/B]

Can you tell us more. Especially where to send the cheques :D

Advertisement