Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fitting large divX files on a CD

• 11-12-2003 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

I guess that this may be raised elsewhere but I can't find it and i did look, if it gets moved then sorry to the Mods for the hastle.

I have a number of large divx files 720 meg, etc many have the usual range, space on disk and actual size from 705 to 722. I also have a number under the 700Meg mark that i can fit on a CD. I have recently bought a DVD player with a Divx 5 decoder so I can watch the DIVX format films. However I was wondering if i need to go and fork out for a DVD burner and disks to fit the films on or is there a way to squash these files on to a disk (at some sort of cost regarding quality/resolution)

The only reason I have raised the question is that there are so many divx files out there with this oversized problem, If everyone was using DVD burners then I'd expect to see bigger files so I'm guessing that people in the "know" are fitting these files on normal disks and watching them, and that I' just a thicko.

Any help or direction is appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

well you could re-encode them at a lower bit rate but thats would be such a pain and would take alot of time, it is posible to get 800mb cd's they use some kind of overburn to fit that much onto a cd im not sure how good they are iv never tried them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

These "smart types" are just overburning the disc. Your burner may or may not support this. Or else they're using 99 minute discs (again, your burner might not...)

doom9.org has a few programs that will chop off bits of the files. If you're not pushed about 10 minutes of credits at the end it might get you under the wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

nero supports overburning, but it would depend very much on your cd burner and the blanks you use.

again doom9 is probably the best lace to look, or google 'overburning' or 'overburn' and see what that gets ye.

and while you've got your google out, try having a look for '90 min cdr', you'll find quite a few leads on them too.

hopefully between all that you've got a solution.

btw what and where did you get the divx dvd player, and how much (if you don't mind me asking).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

use virtualdub to split the movie in two.

guide here: http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/dvd2divx_anamorphic.cfm (i think the splitting bit is at the bottom)

or buy 90 min cd's (if the player supports them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

As people have mentioned, overburning is a useful thing here. Stuff to bear in mind:

1) You have to enable it in Nero, last time I checked.
    2) You have to burn in a "disc at once" mode or it won't give you the option to overburn.
    3) 703MB is the "normal" capacity of a 700MB CD-R; I've successfully burned up to ~727MB (or ~83 min of CD audio) onto such disks (of various brands) with my Lite-On drive, but (as others have pointed out) your mileage may vary based on your burner's capabilities. Nero issues dire warnings about using overburn, so you have to assume they're well-founded.

All this is based on the assumption that your DivX player will read overburned discs ok... :}

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

You probably know this already but in internet explorer if it shows a movie at 715MB it is in actual fact only 699MB or there abouts.Right click on the film and go to properties and it will show you the real size.Anything up to 718MB should fit in a standard cd.

I still have the problem of 1 or 2 divx's being 900MB but i just slap them onto dvd's:D with 4 other films.

CombatCow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭heffo9

alright stoner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi all

I got the player from
    www.ict-pro.com,
    about €210. It has given me some initial problems like lack of sound with DVD format etc but their help desk seems on the ball and some simple setup changes sorted that out. Also they have new firmware out this week that "will " fix some other little problems (like going into standby when FF at x48 speed on an avi or divx file) , but it plays Divx 5 and its very compact and has no problems with reading CD RW.
    Its a Kiss DP 1000

Thank you to all for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

its easy enough to reencode them with virtualdub. i have a liteon lvd-2001 dvd player. it supports divx 4, 5 and xvid. i end up reencoding any divx 3.11 to xvid - with verly little reduction in quality.
    this is what i do (got this off the net somwhere):
    1) Load the file into virtualdub.
    2) Select video->fast recompression, audio->'Direct Stream copy'
    3) Select video->compression, Select Xvid Mpeg-4, configure, and set encoding mode to '2-pass first pass', and click OK, OK.
    4) Select File->'Save as AVI', in the save menu, check 'Add operation to joblist and defer processing'. And Save the file under a new name.
    5) Select video->compression, Select Xvid Mpeg-4, configure, and set encoding mode to '2-pass second pass int.', set the desired filesize (minus the audio) and click OK, OK.
    5b) You can check the size of the audio track by selecting File->'File Information', The last number in the last field is the audio size in KB.
    6) Select File->'Save as AVI', in the save menu, check 'Add operation to joblist and defer processing'. And Save the file under a new name (it's OK to use the same file name for the first and second pass)
    7) Select File->'Job Control' and click start.

So instead of xvid-mpeg-4 you should pick divx 5. It'll take a couple of hours but its never failed me. Just watch out for warning about improper vbr audio. You'll have to decompress the audio etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

The lazy method would be to user virtualdub to chop off the credits if it has not been done already.... honestly, who watches all the credits?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Get a DVD Writer :D
    Got mine (URL below) its very good value and its a excellent drive
    http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/Hardware_Section__.html
    OEM Pioneer 106 DVD writer supporting DVD+R(W) and DVD-R(W)
    :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

OT but what's the difference between the Pioneer A06 and the 106? That site is currently waiting on stock of the 106.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The virtuadub application on www.doom9.org worked, thank you to all, its a little tricky cos initially i was getting huge files but from doom9.org i went to http://virtualdub.everwicked.com/indexi
    and found my question in the newbie forum question bank, you have to wait 5 days before you can ask a question in doom9 , to cut out the time wasters i guess, seems to work.

anyway all is good thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by byte
    OT but what's the difference between the Pioneer A06 and the 106? That site is currently waiting on stock of the 106.

OEM and retail versions AFAIK.

Advertisement