Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Laptops

• 11-12-2003 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

I'm going to buy a Sony Laptop, but all the models are very confusing. I'm trying to decide between the 16" or 15" screens? Any comments? I'm going to get one of the models with a DVD burner and with a 5600 GFX card. I think thats the best GFX the Sony's do. I like to be able to get on the net via wireless around the house. What do I need for that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

My brother works in compustore and has told me that they have more trouble with sony hardware, laptops in particular than almost any other brand. Apparently they just seem to do things differently and in a very incompatible way. Based on his experience with them he strongly advised me against purchasing as sony laptop. They do look nice and all, but that's no use if you have trouble getting it working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Originally posted by [CrimsonGhost]
    My brother works in compustore and has told me that they have more trouble with sony hardware, laptops in particular than almost any other brand. Apparently they just seem to do things differently and in a very incompatible way. Based on his experience with them he strongly advised me against purchasing as sony laptop. They do look nice and all, but that's no use if you have trouble getting it working.

i know this doesn't really answer your questions Ricardo, but.......

Seconded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I appreciate the thought but IMO I don't think Sonys are any worse than any other brand. You buy a warranty and send it off when it breaks.
    "they just seem to do things differently and in a very incompatible way"

In fairness thats just too vague to go on. While I'm sure your brother may know his stuff, in my experience he'd be one of the few in that store that do. Most of them in those stores seem to have very little experience of IT. They just seem to turn on the technobabble to punters who don't know any better.

If you could get some specific info from him I'd be interested in hearing what problems they have. In our office most Laptops seem to be pretty reliable. Problem with the onboard network adapters being the most common problem. But even that doesn't happen too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

completely disagree with ye

never had a prob with any sony vaio

quality machines, design to implementation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

sony vaio's are awesome.
    We have a P3 600Mhz 64MB ram, ati rage mobility AGP 8Mb Ram. Firewire - usb. It rocks, ive just installed gentoo on it and it runs so smootley, and full hardware support for everything.
    No complaints this side :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

We've had two Vaois in work here, both have given trouble... one was grand for the first year and then pcmcia controller completly died, other one had issue after issue after issue.. which went on for the best part of 12 months and ended up in a complete refund after the third repair (total usage time 2 weeks!!!)... that experience and other peoples has left me pretty wary of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I don't understand why people get Vaio's when you can get so much more for your money. You're paying a few hundred euro for a little plastic sony sign.
    I can third that notion that vaio's are unreliable, I worked in pc world when I was in college and they were in for repair far more than advent or compaq laptops.
    Also, last time I used a vaio, the battery life was absolutely awful.

I'd recommend going for another brand or even an apple powerbook....don't knock them till you've tried them, i'd never go back to a pc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

You can never go wrong with Dell I have a latitude D800 top machine have had no trouble at all

Originally posted by eth0_
    I don't understand why people get Vaio's when you can get so much more for your money. You're paying a few hundred euro for a little plastic sony sign.
    I can third that notion that vaio's are unreliable, I worked in pc world when I was in college and they were in for repair far more than advent or compaq laptops.
    Also, last time I used a vaio, the battery life was absolutely awful.

I'd recommend going for another brand or even an apple powerbook....don't knock them till you've tried them, i'd never go back to a pc!

Well I've been pricing them this week and they are about the same price if not better spec'ed than other manufacturers laptops. The iBooks are nice but few of the PC applications I run wouldn't work well if at all on a iBook so thats why they are no good to me. But ig you look at the Sony laptop screens especially the newer ones with the 16" Black Onyx screens. Theres nothing else that comes near IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement