Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling Apparel

• 11-12-2003 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

Where is a good place to get cycling apparel (at a reasonable price), and what would you recomend for [road] cycling in the winter?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Explsv_Cornflk
    and what would you recomend for [road] cycling in the winter?
    Lots of breathable layers. Wearing pure waterproof gear just means the sweat builds up on the inside and means you are as wet as if you weren't wearing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Its very true of cycling gear that you get what you pay for. Unfortuantely as a student trade offs have to be made. Varies according to wet vs cold gear. Some british sites (and european) offer good deals. unfortuantely, we're not particularly well endowed with reasonable shops in this country. You from dublin or outside the pale? and what kind of cycling you talking about? commuting or 2-3-4 hr spins at the wknd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'm staying in dublin at tyhe minute, but most of my proper cycling i do around mullingar. I'm on about 3 - 4 hour cycles at the weekend. Haven't been out in awhile because of lack of gear for the cold though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

I'm going to pimp Sugoi - I think you can find their stuff in the Cycle Superstore out near the Square in Tallaght.

No relationship to the company, just a satisifed customer. Their stuff is nicely designed, lasts well and functions superbly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

look around on chainreactioncycles.com for breathable baselayers, and light breathable waterproof jackets :/
    i'm assuming they're a lot cheaper than most shops in ireland

• Advertisement

Thans for the info. I'll try some of them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Yea chainreaction are great - free postage and packaging, tho if you know some one in the UK/NI check out wiggle.co.uk - loads of clothing there - just order me new winter gear just have to wait for my gf to bring the gear down

Dizz

i've been poking around looking for a review of the campag tights, metal series, finding nothing tho :( they look class, just would like to see an independent review before splashing the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

campag tights
    Me thinks a wee bit expensive fow wot ur getting - more paying for the name than anything. Not that I have a prob with campag - my groupset of choice (currently on Centaur).
    If you wanna shell out, buy assos but a set of tights from lusso or the like will do the trick nicely.
    Better to spend more on the top half than bottom (apart from shorts)

Dizz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Jimmy Humphries in Finglas might have things at the right price!!!! :):):)

• Advertisement

I have my supplier ;), the assos, campag, briko come in around the same price with discount. So thats not really the issue. I've heard teh assos chamois will eat teh arse of you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I've ordered from chainreaction too and found them to be pretty good.
    The first time I ordered, I did it on a Thursday morning and had the stuff the next day! The second time took longer though. All in all they get a thumbs up from me!

reckon I'm gonna get those campag tights, expect a review soon :) also genius 4 shoes. tis xmas and i need presents ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tippx

parasite wrote: »
    look around on chainreactioncycles.com for breathable baselayers, and light breathable waterproof jackets :/
    i'm assuming they're a lot cheaper than most shops in ireland
    not always the cheapest i got a new pair of keo gray cleats in cycle superstore 12e chain reaction was 25 as for clothes altura is always pretty good price and decent enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

CRC no longer get a thumbs up from me cos they won't answer my emails about the recent credit card fraud on their site.

Btw, this thread has been dormant since 2003.

Raam beat me:
    U0EtW.jpg
    Do you know, this was my first post on boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

I believe a rain cape and sealskin breeches cost 6s 5d when this thread was started.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tippx

happytramp wrote: »
    I believe a rain cape and sealskin breeches cost 6s 5d when this thread was started.
    I never copped that Im kinda a newbie I was just lookin at the date 2003
    wasent times simpler then:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

I know, I actually get kind of creeped out when I see that happen on forums. It's hard to explain but when I see an eight year pause between posts in the same conversation it slightly unsettles me and makes me think of everything that's happened to me in the last eight years and how easily it all gets skipped over......:(

Advertisement