Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games Server

Options
  • 11-12-2003 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

I am trying to construct a games server for an internet cafe.

The thing is I need to load and run these games on multiple machines simultaneously. ( Legally of course so please don't suggest cracks )

The thing is that I can't allow any CD's to be circulating as they will go for a walk !!

Will I be able to use the current server and a shared folder ?

Will I have to buy network games specifically designed for the task ?

Any Ideas ????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Own the CDs for all the games and just use a no-cd crack on them so that they will work without a CD, but you still have the original install media to show to anyone, what's the prob with that?.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I do believe all you will really need to do is ripp the CD file [iso thigny] onto the hard drive somewhere? I know you can do it someway like that but im not too sure exactly. Someone will be able to tell you probably.
    Originally posted by GRAHAM2002
    The thing is I need to load and run these games on multiple machines simultaneously. ( Legally of course so please don't suggest cracks )

I think you can use the CD Cracks as long as you have the legal copy of the CD/Game. It may break the lince agreement depending on the game though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭GRAHAM2002

I have clone CD and we have thought of doing it the ISO method.

I have downloaded some cracks for particular games but still remain a bit wary about the legal implications of using cracks within a profit making organisation.

Anyone else ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If it can be loaded onto the hard drive - and I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't - surely it can be loaded onto a single machine on the network and mounted on the clients?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Put the cd into the server machine, share the cd drive across the network, you will probably need to install this way as well for the game to recognise where the original mdeia is.

You could create cd images and mount them as virtual d drives on the server as well,

Id be using no cd cracks tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I knew a guy who worked in a net cafe, and they used cracks all the time, once you own the required number of cd's legally (i.e. one cd per installation) you can fulyl legally use a crack.

If your uncertain still, just ask your lawyer (presuming you have one) or take a detailed read through every games license.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I'd say use the no-cd cracks .... but if youre afraid of that you may want to make iso's and use something like alcohol 120% to mount the images ... dunno if this is covered in license agreements

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Surely you are allowed to make a backup copy of the CD's legally.
    Then keep the originals off site and keep the backups in the PC's

You then need to rig it so the cd's can't be ejected
    maybe put them further back in the bay and a blanking plate in front ?

you could also use KVM switches/extension cables to keep the PC's away from the little darlings - most PC's can be turned on/off from the keyboard - and if you allow them access then do it by a USB 1 hub (cheaper and slower) you can have a USB floppy too. ( and some U-Bolts to keep them attached)

External SCSI drives - nice technical solution but too expensive.
    Actually maybe USB external CD drives located away from the PC's

Advertisement