Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

netopia Q?

• 11-12-2003 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

hi

how do i change / get my netopia adsl modem for ericom to work with my linksys Broadband router (wrt54g)?

thanks,
    big O

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

BigO wrote:
    hi

how do i change / get my netopia adsl modem for ericom to work with my linksys Broadband router (wrt54g)?

thanks,
    big O
    Is there an answer to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

err why are you using 2 routers ?

Shouldnt you be just using one O_o ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

it depends on which one you want to use for routing

the easiest thing to do would be to plug the netopia into one of the lan ports on the wrt54g (not the internet port)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,809 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

This will work, but you need to change the configurations on one or other box. I suggest you leave the netopia as it is (assuming it is already connected to your ISP and working correctly. If it isn't, get it working before you do anything else.) Then get into the configuration menu for the Linksys, and put it into the correct mode for it to operate as a 'bridge'. It may also need an appropriate IP address. You'll need to look in the Linksys manual to figure out how to do this.

Note: You cannot configure both the Netopia and the Linksys as PPPoE clients (i.e., typing in your DSL username/passwords). This will not work.

Let us know how far you get doing this, and we will try to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i dont know if what i described is the best way
    but i have done it before using the same hardware and it worked and you did not need to change anything in settings

• Advertisement

Yep, it might work out of the box, and if it does, great! Nothing wrong with that.

I don't know that particular model, but the last time I tried something similar with a Linksys, I had to make changes. (But maybe I lack the magic touch!)

If it doesn't work OOTB, then there'll be some configuration changes to make. Nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

hmmmm, i have a netopia file buried in email somewhere that I typed................................

AH HA!, YES:
    Connect directly to the modem with a network cable.

Open a web browser, type in http://192.168.1.254

Click on expert mode on the left hand side, follow the self-explanatory steps
    to
    confirm this.

Click configure on the left hand side, select "WAN"

Click "setup ATM circuits"

Set VPI & VCI to 8 & 35 respecivly

Use the drop down menu that mentions "PPPOE" and select "RFC 1483" bridge.

The multiplexing should be set a LLC\SNAP

Click submit

Click on the small yellow triangular alert box on the top right hand corner of
    the page.

You will be presented with a few options in the centre of the screen, select
    save & restart.

Connect the LAN (ethernet) port of the modem to the "WAN" port of the router
    (transmitter)

YOU'RE DONE!

that should do it.

you then connect the network port on the netopia to the WAN port on the linksys.

Log into the linksys and setup your DSL\Internet as a PPPOE connection, enter in the details you need.

you can plug strieght into the switch, but then you negate the firewall i the router. best to do it the right way

Yes, that will work too, although personally I would recommend putting the Linksys in bridging mode rather than the Netopia (only because it will be easier to troubleshoot it with eircom if there are any problems later on).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

Thanks Guys for all your feedback my biggest concern was that it would not work with DSL, here is what I did.

On the setup tab of the linksys management site.
    Under basic setup

In the drop down menu I changed it from DHCP to PPPoE amd entered the eircom login and password that was given with the eircom modem. Then set the ip to 192.168.1.254 as this was also the IP provided with the modem. It worked straight away.

Cheers

Advertisement