Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router Recommendations

• 11-12-2003 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭

Asked in broadband thread but noone knew, so will ask here if anyone can be helpin' me... :D

Long story short...

Used to share IOL BB thru NIC to PlayStation2. Could play SOCOM:Online and CounterStrike (Different people playing!) at same time no problems. CS ping of about 60 and SOCOM was perfectly smooth (tho ya cant see ping) and bullet registry etc was perfect. Was on Windows ME.

Upgraded to XP Pro. If someone logs into CS now SOCOM's pings go to shít and the player gets kicked due to high pings or gets completely disconnected.

Would a router solve these sharing problems? And if so, can anyone recommend one that will maintain as good a ping as possible on both machines?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Any router will get you pings of below 10ms between it and a PC unless its seriously crap or damaged, what's more important when considering pings is the actual connection between you and the DSLAM, maybe some recent work could have screwed up your ping for as much as you know?! (not likely to be your prob to'). Frankly it's a miracle that you got such good pings when you had two ppl on the net playing games especially at 512kb from IOLBB(60ms!!!). If your using the USB modem supplied by esat then its best you dump it and go for an integrated set-up i.e. router with in-built modem I recently got a D-Link DSL-504 from Elara and I've been very happy with its performance. Sometimes I can get pings of 54ms to uk ET servers, my sis gets 100ms to US servers of Sven-Coop - but we usually dont play at the same time. Whatever you get it probably wont solve your problem but its better then having that cruddy esat USB modem and using ICS to share the internet between computers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Thankin' ya,
    I'll look into that,
    Santa may have some last minute additions to his list! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

i have D-link 604+ from elara - happy!

but i wouldn't rush buying anything, i'd first try to fix stuff in XP, cause if it worked perferctly with WinME then there is no problem with hardware, so i'd look in XP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Just recieved email from the company who made the card. [Been hounding them for WEEKS!]. Funny it all comes to place now, but I certainly am not complaining! :D just tried a 10 minute test there with their solution, :D:D:D me be happy! Something to do with link speed/duplex mode being set to auto, they suggested setting it to 10 half mode. Would never have tried that myself! Works a charm :D Thanks for your suggestions guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

Hey CyberGhost isnt the 604+ just great stuff :D

Its very very good....with wireless built in.

Einstürzende glad you got your problem sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

yeah! it's very good!!! wireless is awesome! works through my sick concrete walls!

Einstürzende, happy for ya man!

Advertisement