Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SE T610 MP3 Player - MMC compatability Issue

• 11-12-2003 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭

I have a SE T610 and got the HPM-10 MP3 player/handsfree.

I got my 256mb card and the USB reader/writer from Shop4memory.com yesterday.

But when I put the 256mb card into the MP3 player, it says "Memory Card Not supported" ??

I put the MP3s on it by dragging and dropping from the hard drive to the MMC drive of the reader/writer.

The card doesnt have a name on it though, just a picture of a Butterfly on it??

I have Win2K pro on my computer, and have used a pre stored driver for the Reader/Writer.

The Flasher part of the software with the Drive is only for Win 98 - is that the problem maybe? Does the card need to be flashed??
    Ive tried formatting it in the usual Windows method as FAT and FAT32 but still no difference(didnt format before using first time- just drag/dropped the files on and tried to use.)

The paralell port operated Reader/Writer than comes with the MP3 player/card recepticle, also reads and writes to the MMC card fine. But the phone simply displays "Music Card Not supported" and then "Insert Music Card" ... when I try to use the new MMC in the player.

Huh??

I like to think I know a little about computers, and also some about phones but im a bit confused here-why would it be compatible with the supplied reader/writer but not the recepticle?

Does anyone know if shop4memory.com operate any returns/exchange service?
    Or who else has this player and has gotten a different card for it and did you have any problems?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Yup, having the same problem, and I'm using the
    six card read/writer from shop4memory. My PC
    can read/write/play mp3's from the card, but the
    phone just doesnt see it.

The 32 MB card that comes with the player works
    fine though and it uses FAT, and I copied the mp3
    from the 32 MB card to the 256 MB card thinking
    it might be a mp3 formating problem and it still
    dont work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

I emailed Shop4Memory last week and they are going to exchange the card for whatever the other brand of card they do is - as obviously this one works. User LFC_Fan on here got a 256mb card from them also, and is having no problems. But it sounds like a different brand from how he/she describes it.

They wont have the new card til December 22nd though... so I have to wait til then... not sure how then plan to exchange... im too impatient to wait for post as itll be after xmas if I post it, will ask if I can go to their premises even though they dont have a shop. They are based not to far from me...well, 20min drive without traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi - it is important to be very careful about MMC cards as some manufacturers cards don't work in some devices

before purchasing check the manufacturer of the card (note: sometimes even a brand can use different manufacturers) works with the device, unfortunately that may mean having to see if someone else has got a specific MMC card working in a device - and then explicitally orderiung that manufacturer's card - other wise you might run into problems

ref: Ericsson MP3 player and 3rd party cards

hope you guys get it sorted out, nice to hear shop4memory are helping out, always found them great for ordering memory form

this also goes for the likes of Series 60 devices with MMC expansion capability

BrianG

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

The Card I got from Shop4Memory is Red/Yellow/Blue and says MultiMedia Card Association on it. Haven't had a problem.

They have been in touch again, and I will be calling to their premises on Monday to exchange the card in order to avoid waiting on Post and because I want it before Christmas.

Have to say, they have been very helpful and quick.
    A mate ordered RAM off them last week too, and is well chuffed as it works perfectly, and worked out cheaper than some he bought off Ebay and had to return as it was uncompatable!

• Advertisement

Just got home after picking up the new card.

In the middle of transferring 48songs onto it(I try to d/l and rip most songs at 192 or 160kb/s - hence only 48).

The phone read it when I inserted it first, just said "No Tracks on Music Card", whereas the previous one gave the errors mentioned above.

Shop4Memory were more than helpful the whole way through I have to say, and had no problem with me calling out to them to exchange it so id avoid waiting over Christmas for it.

The one I got this time is a deep blue colour.... with "V...." somethin... ill post up once the transfer has completed as its in the reader at the mo... which reminds me, Im gona have to get myself a USB 2.0 PCMCIA cardafter January payday cos the Reader/Writer is USB2.0 but my laptop is only 1.1... and this is tedious(though still miles better than the Ericsson supplied Paralell port reader/writer)! :)

Gona give it a good testing this evening and tomorrow as I have do some last minute project work for college, and itll keep me sane during the shopping hours on Wednesday! :D

The guy in Shop4Memory mentioned that mine was the 3rd card of that brand that has come back to him, the others would not work in Nokia N-Gage's.

Thanks for the advise. Hopefully this thread will save others the hasle I had.

Sony Ericsson's Reply to my query for anyone interested:

Dear Mr XXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson Customer Care Centre.

With regards to your enquiry concerning the MP3 Handsfree HPM-10. The HPM-10 MP3 player comes standard with a 32Mb mmc card. A 64Mb mmc card should be compatible with the HPM-10 MP3 Player. Currently Ericsson does not have this as a standard accessory. If you have problems using a 64Mb mmc card on your MP3 player, contact the retailer where you bough the memory card. More than 64Mb of memory has not been tested on the MP3 player.

The latest firmware version for the T610 is now R3C. To check the firmware version you are currently using scroll through the following instructions...

1. Move the Joystick (or arrow) "Right" and press[*]
    2. Move the Joystick (or arrow) "Left" twice and then press [*]
    3. Move the Joystick (or arrow) "Left" and then press [*]
    4. Select [SERVICE INFO] and then [SW INFO]. The software version will then be shown. This is a number starting with the letter "R".

When using the MP3 Handsfree HPM-10 you will not be able to use the other features of your handset.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again for further help and support.

For more information on our products and services, please feel free to visit our website at www.sonyericsson.com

Kind Regards,
    Andrew Kitchen

Sony Ericsson Customer Care Centre
    questions.gb@support.sonyericsson.com
    http://www.sonyericsson.com

Question:
    Subject: MP3 Handsfree HPM-10
    Product: MP3 Handsfree HPM-10

Opinion: Hi, I recently purchased the HPM-10 MP3 handsfree for my SE T610. I am very happy with it so far. The only major problem I found was the restrictive size of the included 32mb MMC and the slow speed of the included Paralell Port card reader/writer. So I ordered a 256mb MMC and a USB Reader/Writer from www.shop4memory.com . I received these this morning, and while the 256mb card functions fine in the USB reader/writer and also the Ericsson supplied Paralell Port Reader/Writer, it will not work in the handsfree - the phone displays "Music Card Not supported", followed by "Please Insert Music card". The 32Mb included card still functions fine, and also works fine in the USB reader/writer. The MMC I got is a spurious brand, but I would have thought that if it works with the included reader/writer it should work in the MP3 player/handsfree itself?

Im also wondering if there is any way to use the other features in the phone while listening to the player as there does not appear to me to be. If a call comes in,obviously you can take it, and while on it you can dial another number etc, and if an SMS comes in you can read and respond to it,but other than that I cant get at other features. I would like to be able to use the SMS, WAP or Internet features at will without stopping the music - is this in anyway possible? Im not sure of my exact firmware version other than that I only got it updated on Monday(by Sigma Telecom, Ireland) so I assume its the latest version.

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Lads, just wondering, how are yis transfaring the mp3's from your pc onto the card? bluetooth or a different device?
    and anyone have any problems with the 32meg or 64 meg on the nokia 3650?
    thanks

Either with the painfully slow Parallel Port supplied MMC reader/writer...

Or - I got a 6in1 USB2.0 Card reader/writer for €33 off www.shop4memory.com - though its now €28 I think, and I dont have USB 2.0 yet,so it can still take ~10-20mins to transfer 250mb worth of songs. (I need more RAM too tho)

Advertisement