Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N-gage from game stop

Options
  • 09-12-2003 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering is the N_Gage held like any normal phone or is it held like this? This image is really putting me off getting the phone as I don't want to be embarrased every time I am making a phone call.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

yes - it's held like that - in a i'm talking into a boomerang styl-e

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Why did N1ck tell me in this it is not held like that?
    Originally posted by n1ck
    You do not hold the phone like that. You hold it like a normal phone, i know about 6 people who have them and it is not how u hold them.
    Originally posted by n1ck
    The mic is on the bottom right hand part of the phone below the numbers and the ear piece is on the top left above the d-pad. So yes u hold it like a normal phone.
    DubWireless, please make absolute sure it is held as in the linked picture because if I have to old it sideways when talking I don't think I will get the phone at all.

p.s. you can use a wired/bluetooh headset... although most bluetooth headsets look a bit wierd too

Originally posted by DubWireless
    p.s. you can use a wired/bluetooh headset... although most bluetooth headsets look a bit wierd too
    You didn't answer my question. Do you have first hand experience of how the phone is held during a call? And I saw them headsets, not very pretty unless your in a call centre or something.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    DubWireless, please make absolute sure it is held as in the linked picture because if I have to old it sideways when talking I don't think I will get the phone at all.

well the the phone's earpiece is on the side - so if you want to listen and talk into it that's the 'optimal' position to use it - and was designed as such

if you crank the speaker up loud enough you may be able to hear the person on the other end... suppose that would depend on the ambient noise / or in a quieter environment if you wanted to disturb anyone close lisening to both sides of the conversation - like most handset mics are all pretty sensitive and your voice should be compensated

and you can read several reviews mentioning it:

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Page=2&Id=485
    The N-Gage is not terribly convenient to use as a phone when using the traditional device-to-ear approach. The handset is held with the thin upper edge pressed against your head. Picture holding a taco to your ear and you get the picture.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=new&aid=2233
    However, they might object to making phonecalls on it - because we quickly discovered that talking into the device involves holding the top end of it to your face (the microphone and speaker are located where the L and R buttons are on a GBA), which quite frankly makes you look utterly ridiculous

http://www.cubegameworld.com/article.php/id/55/
    since the form factor is an area where the N-Gage falls miserably short. In order to use the unit as a standard cell phone, you must hold the narrow edge to your head, since both the speaker and receiver are located there

BrianG

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot for looking that up DW and I appreciate the help. What I am wondering is why n1ck was so insistant that is held like a normal phone.:confused: This is just a "getting my hopes up" thought, but do you think that Nokia got a lot of bad reactions to the phone and changed it so it could be held as normal? Either that or n1ck works for Nokia.

Cheers.

You didn't answer my question. Do you have first hand experience of how the phone is held during a call? And I saw them headsets, not very pretty unless your in a call centre or something.

yes well i was typing a P.S. to my initial post before your post had appered... so you'll have to *excuse me* ;) i've responded above

i've played with the n-gage twice - and the earpiece has been in the same position on both occasions - on the side

there are several bluetooh headsets of varying sizes and prices (not all are the boom style) you can research them yourself on the likes of nokia and sonyericsson websites

you could just use a wired one - especially if you are going to be listening to the radio/mp3s

BrianG

We seem to be getting mixed up with our posts. Read above.;)

Thanks a lot for looking that up DW and I appreciate the help. What I am wondering is why n1ck was so insistant that is held like a normal phone.:confused:

i dunno - perhaps his mates had the volume cranked up - it may be possible to use it like that - but the design has the earpiece on the side/edge so that's the 'optimal' best place to stick you ear

a handset's mic is usualy sensitive enough that you can speak and it will pick up from a differnet number of positions / distances (within reason!) and your 'voice level' will be compensated
    This is just a "getting my hopes up" thought, but do you think that Nokia got a lot of bad reactions to the phone and changed it so it could be held as normal? Either that or n1ck works for Nokia.

i don't think so - although the ones i saw were earlier in the year (March) - although you can check out a 3D model on the n-gage site - at it has the earpiece in the same place at the side/edge:
    http://www.n-gage.com/R1/en/gamedeck/gamedeck_spin_it.html

BrianG

We seem to be getting mixed up with our posts. Read above.;)

well i sometimes take a while to get a post together - fecking IM binging away down there :)

tell you what - a lot of places have the handset on display at this stage O2 stores, 3G stores (don't think Voda have it yet) - you could drop in and take a look at one in the flesh and check it out yourself... just give them a buzz before hand to check there is one on display...

BrianG

• Advertisement

I understand what you are saying about hiring up the volume but if that doesn't work could I just use a normal earpiece? Although that would probably be awkward handing the phone to someone else.

I understand what you are saying about hiring up the volume but if that doesn't work could I just use a normal earpiece? Although that would probably be awkward handing the phone to someone else.

(ok just for me to be clear :) - i've been referring to earpiece as the phone's built-in 'earphone') you get a wired earpiece/headset (HDD-2 Stereo Headset) in the standard box according to the n-gage specs

BrianG

edit: fixed url in link

I am buying the phone from here and unlocking it. Do you think I will get an earpiece with this?

i dunno sorry - drop 'em an email - don't see why they wouldn't include it though...

you sure you don't want to check it out in real life first though?

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

If you buy a US version your radio will not work over here !!

Originally posted by SnIpErX
    If you buy a US version your radio will not work over here !!
    AHHHHH:mad:. ****, I ordered it now so I'll have to do without a radio. Also Dub, I saw a model of the phone before they were released and it looks good to me.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The US radio should work over here as they use the same 88-108 FM band. However, radio stations in the US use very specific frequencies and some US radios are programmed to scan these frequencies only ... most of them are used here but you may have difficulties receiving some stations here. The unit does come with "headphones".

I have an n-gage and yes you have to use it in the manner described i.e. like a taco to your ear. The n-gage is aimed at a particular type of person and perhaps if you're afraid to hold it at 90 deg to your ear then maybe the phone is not for you!!!! :-)

I note that in nearly all of Nokia's marketing they emphasise the gaming aspect with the phone being almost secondary.

One thing that is a pain is that you have to dismantle the phone to change games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

i bought a 7210 in the us and the radio works no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Has anyone tried either the VeriTech 256mb mmc from shop4memory or the TwinMOS one from komplett in the n-gage? Did they work?

Has anyone ordered the n-gage from gamestop with 3 games for $199.
    Even with vat and shipping its a good deal.
    But what are game stop like to order from?
    How long will it take to ship?

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by hacktavist
    link: http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=B020230E&Section=#PROD
    Ill be ordering tonight hopefully.

And will you be using it as your main phone? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

Thats a pretty good price given the Buy-It-Nows on www.ebay.co.uk are about €270 shipped- and thats phone only, no games.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i hear that the gamestop n gage is locked to T mobile.

there was a thread about this a couple days back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

Thats kinda something they should mention in the deal dont you think?

Nokia Unlocking is not majorly expensive anyway if needs be.

Yes I will be using it as my main phone.
    Pgernon say's in this thread that the phone is unlocked I sent him a pm asking afew questions but didnt get a reply.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by hacktavist
    Yes I will be using it as my main phone.

Then you'll have to do this... http://www.sidetalkin.com/ (or a hands free kit) - have fun! ;)

Originally posted by monument
    Then you'll have to do this... http://www.sidetalkin.com/ (or a hands free kit) - have fun! ;)

lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Oddly, despite Nokia marketing it as a games deck with a mobile phone function you can not use the deck without a SIM card inserted. It is also a pain to change games!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

This is almost exactly what you look like when using an n-gage as a phone!
    talkin-44.jpg
    Click here for more pics of people being happily ridiculous with their "n-gages"!

Advertisement