Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ps2 emulation not possible yet?

• 11-12-2003 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

are there any ps2 emulators?

i'm thinking of buying ps2 but then again i could wait for the emulator but i heard that p4's can't handle ps2 games yet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭weemcd

this should probably be on the emulation board. anyway im no expert, but i believe you can emulate the architecture, but you cannot get ps2 roms yet, but i may be wrong.:) :)

id say in the near future there will be emulators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

roms? what roms?

i know all you need is, ps2 bios file and a cd compressed in iso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

There are PS2 emulators but they can't get further than the loading or menu screen and you need a damn fast pc to run em.

The "roms" are just disc images of the discs and are called isos.
    Do a search on the emulation vbaord and you should get all the info you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

To be honest you'll be better off buying a PS2 than waiting for a decent PS2 emulator coz i been looking for one.....They all state you need a really fast, somtimes ridiculously fast pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Originally posted by jonhate
    To be honest you'll be better off buying a PS2 than waiting for a decent PS2 emulator coz i been looking for one.....They all state you need a really fast, somtimes ridiculously fast pc.
    and they dont play games yet.......just some demo's written in ps2 code and distributed over the net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Originally posted by weemcd
    this should probably be on the emulation board. anyway im no expert, but i believe you can emulate the architecture, but you cannot get ps2 roms yet, but i may be wrong.:) :)

Yes you are. There's no emulator that can run the games properly atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Comparison of PS2 and PC architecture from Arstechnica.com.

The PS2 has wide pipes, little tiny bits of cahce, PC has medium pipes, large caches.

It may become pratcial to emulate the PS2 at fullspeed when we get higher memory bandwith true 400Mhz FSB speeds, quad pumped to 1.6Ghz using dual ddr2 or something.

But then again, why would you want to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by SyxPak
    But then again, why would you want to?
    Short of thinking that around 2015 some people will pine for the classic blockiness of GTA:VC, I can't think of all that many reasons why someone would want to right now. Unless you've already spent top money on an amazing PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

the reason is to save money, why to buy ps2 for 350 when i can just emulate it and play the games on my pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Why live when you can die?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 darktooth

I have heard that you can get a LINUX kit for the PS2. Apparently SONY use LINUX for their development system. It had a hard drive, keyboard etc.

This being the case would suggest that an emulator should be available for LINUX.

Most things LINUX usually require a LINUX Guru, I would imagine this would be the same.

I will not be playing any console games until they rethink their pricing policy.

Stoned Invaders is only available on PC :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

Yeah thats true I seen it in linux magazine, it was intended for people to develop their own games.

Advertisement