Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel vs AMD

• 11-12-2003 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

this my first poll thread, sorry if i screw it up

i'm interested in your opinions about Intel and AMD

which do you think is faster for applications?

i know intel is better in games and for overclocking

but no sure about applications

Which is better(faster) application processor? 13 votes

Intel
    0% 0 votes
    AMD
    100% 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 wishlist.ie

Hi this is my first post too! so i'll kick off the thread

but but but i heard that AMD were better for overclocking??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by CyberGhost

AMD are better for overclocking, i know that for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

at the moment the best consumer chips on the market is an amd the athlon 64's beat the P4 EE afaik. Intel have done well recently though with there release of the pentium 4 c chips with the 800mhz FSB which effectively let them lay the smack down on amd. AMD struggled as far as i see it with to keep up with a last ditch effort to combat the 3.2Ghz by upping the FSB to 400mhz and giving us a 3200+.

Both low end amd and intel chips overclock well. The 2.4c typically give3.2Ghz a very nice overclock for the price. While amd's xp2500+ typically gives xp3200+ (2.2Ghz). FYI an xp3200+ typically performs around the 3.0Ghz pentium 4 mark (maybe a little less) not bad for a chip you can get for €88 on komplett.

For applications though such as encoding mp3 and such the pentiums win hands down.

To sum up if you going for the best bang for you buck get an amd. For the price of a pentium 4 chip you can get a high end socket A motherboard and a processor that will give you appoximately 3.0Ghz p4 performance. If I had a little money to spare i'd go for an intel system. If i had a lot of money to spare i'd go back to amd.

so amd vs. intel well it depends on your cash flow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i agree with data p4c's are amazing for encoding mp3's/divx

amd are great aswell for the price of them.

so it does really depend on the money u have.

i had the money so i splashed out on a p4 3ghz when it just came out and set my back 450 euros but it was worth in my machine cos i do a lot of encoding and the sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i love my 2600xp amd so ill go for amd!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I voted for Intel cos a 4Ghz pentium EE dominates and doesn't require registered memory like the fx.
    Originally posted by Dataisgod
    If I had a little money to spare i'd go for an intel system. If i had a lot of money to spare i'd go back to amd.

The other way round mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭weemcd

amd all the way cheaper and possibly faster. i just like them, as a poor youngster and ive never had any problems with amd chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Originally posted by CyberGhost
    this my first poll thread, sorry if i screw it up

You including the 64 Bit procs in that? Yet to try one, reviews point towards amazing though! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

its personal preference, and everyone will probably argue on thir companies side to death

me-i prefer amd, good products, no marketing for the brain dead and better mid ranged chips for the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Pointless!!!, this changes every year or less its a never ending cycle, at the mo' the FX-51 is the best before it was Intel before again it was AMD in the next 8 months when Prescott ramps up to top speed Intel may take the crown again a couple months later the will lose it........what's the point??. By the way CivilServant no the p4 EE doesn't dominate, for it to dominate it would afto a) be available for less then an arm and b) beat the FX-51 by a country mile which it doesn't (it doesn't even beat it full stop) so I dont know what your on about. Either way since the two top chips are breathing down each others necks for most of the benchmarks, the better has to be the AMD for being cheaper......now lets wait for Intels next chip which will be 1% better:rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The p4EE seems to be just vapourware for the moment

Originally posted by CivilServant
    I voted for Intel cos a 4Ghz pentium EE dominates and doesn't require registered memory like the fx.

The other way round mate.

nope if i was on a real tight budget i'd be amd, if i had a little spare i'd go for intel...... and so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

well the main question is not the price, it's speed! so imagine u can get anything you want, what would you get Intel or AMD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

*ignore, double post*

well money not an issue i'd go for an amd at the moment

Yeah at stock the FX wins but oced is a different story. I've an amd myself cos their nice n cheap.

you think an overclocked EE will beat an o/ced FX (not being patronising i don't know myself?)

i hear the FX's don't o/c fantastically but i'm not sure how well the EE's overclocks either doesn't the extra cache produce more heat or something?

Judging by the top scores in 3dmark2001 a fx@3Ghz = p4ee@4.4Ghz. (using similar cooling) I'll give the edge to the p4ee cos u don't need registered memory. But when the 939 socket chips come out then it's fx's turn to ride high n mighty. And the fx is now a lot cheaper than the p4ee. That's a plus for amd but the world needs balance and I'm here to provide it! :)

Advertisement