Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping my line up all the time!

• 11-12-2003 11:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

have utv BB now for almost a month so far its been really good but my line connectoin drops every now and again and the only way to bring it back up is to log into the router( i have a netgear dg834g) via admin and reconnect from there so i figure its some thing up with my network then

it says LCP(link control protocol!?) down

so how do i configure it so that it stays up all the time
    look at the manual and stuff but cant find anything!
    i have a laptop connected via wifi too but thats the the issue or is it!:eek:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

anybody??

even a desktop item to reconnect again without having to go back to admin mode on the router

i know netgear router's are popular so maybe someone has the same experience of what im coming up with!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Are you sure the problem is on your end? I am on Clicksilver too and have been having a lot of disconnets recently whereas before there were very very rare - there have beem some postings to the UTV support newsgroup about this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Surely it should auto connect when any app requests an internet connection. For example, when I start up my laptop (connected by wifi to a WGR614 which in turn is connected to a DM602 modem) MSN starts with windows and tries to connect. Long story short it connects first time and thats that.

I would imagine that the DG834G works in the same way as my setup, except of course that I have a seperate router & modem.

I'd say go through your setup again and make sure everything is intact. What is the error message that is coming up when you try to connect? Is it just a standard "this page cannot be found" message in IE?

I'd be hesitant to think that it's UTV's fault. I've been suffering the disconnects as much as any other UTV user but every time I've requested a website, checked email, etc... it's always come up first time without having to manually connect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tomred

Did you sort this out? I am hitting the same problem. I got my Netgear delivered yesterday. I am using wireless access and oftne (not always) get LCP failure (I know this from the router)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Conlai

Hi, I am having a similar problem. I originally had a Solwise 703 modem/router and had the problem. Bought a Netgear DG834 and am still having problems. Utv support were useless, thought that I should move the whole lot down to the main phone socket. Is it only people with netgear kit having this problem, had hoped the new fireware upgrade might fix it but no chance.

• Advertisement

yep still having it, prob a fault with the netgear router as it is a new enough router itself, a firmware update will probably fix it but to be honest it shouldnt be happening

thought it was something i was doing but i still think there is something im doing wrong with the config

I just sent a mail to Netgear support detailing the problem (I also requested updated firmware). I'll post any response I get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I remember UTV saying some time ago that Cliclsilver automatically disconnects every 48 hours.

This is to facilitate usage figures I think, though they haven't sorted out how to keep track of our usage yet!

Another reason to get Clicksilver :p

This is from the Netgear site

Modifications and Bug Fixes, Version 1.03.00

1. Improved Wireless throughput.
    2. Improved reliability of FTP upload. This was caused by blocking certain ICMP error messages.
    3. Improved ping times.
    4. DynDNS improvements.
    5. Improved PPP stability for Always Connected.
    6. Fixed PPTP passthrough to allow server on LAN.
    7. Updated Any(All) Service to include all IP protocols. Previously only TCP and UDP.
    8. Changed length of PPP username and password fields to support 63 characters.
    9. Fixed various bugs in non-English GUI.
    10. Improved formatting of Logs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

I had a problem of my 512k line disconnecting aprox twice a day. I updated the firmware to latest but that didnt solve the problem. Last Sunday week my line went down completely (DSL link light on router was OFF) for 4 hours.

I heard Gombin saying that Eircom were updating their equipment in the exchanges and this was ironically enough, to stop disconnections. Since last sunday week (7th Dec) my router has been on ..... and has stayed connected to the internet... I can only guess that they were changing my line over to the new DSLAM equipment last Sunday week, but its done the job brilliantly, whatever they did

This is the thread I'm talking about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Originally posted by Valentia
    I remember UTV saying some time ago that Cliclsilver automatically disconnects every 48 hours.

This is correct - and verified by my router's logs.

mail from Netgear !!

Please try to reset the router by pressing the reset button (small button inside a circular hole ) on the backside of the router for some time (10 seconds) so that the light starts flashing. As soon as the light flashes we can release the button, and after the few seconds when the light stops flashing Power cycle the unit.

We may need to reconfigure the router after that.

so thats it then
    upgarde and reset it that way

so is it a netgear or utv probelem or both!!

tom red u on utv BB or someone elses

I'm on IOL BB, I haven't tried to flash the router yet. Plan to do so over the w'end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭sidekick

I've had exactly the same problem. Support at Netgear suggested upgrading the firmware, resetting the router and power cycling it. I done all that and still have the same problem. I'm beginning to suspect that it may be an IOLBB issue...

Has anyone resolve this problem with the dg834g?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 soapyjoe

I have the same problem with my dg834g.I'm on iol bb so I think it has to be the router.I upgraded the firmware but haven't reset the router yet.I'll try it tomorrow,don't fancy reconfiguring the router tonight.I've read in other groups that netgear are renowned for realeasing flakey gear and then releasing loads of firmware patches,so hopefully they will sort it soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I am on IOLBB and I use a D-Link DSL504 and I have had zero problems, I'd say it's your router and nothing to do with IOL.

Let's hope Netgear releases a firmware upgrade soon that will solve this problem. In the meantime I've kind of found a workaround that appears to work: power cycle the dg834g - it seems to connect without issue once the power comes back.

[here's the mail I got from Netgear support... I flashed the router over the weekend, I haven't reset it though, so I am not sure if it's solved my problems ]

Thank you for contacting Netgear Support.

I understand your concern. Latest firmware version for DG834G router is 1.03.00. Dropping of connection might be the problem of firmware on the router which is not working properly. So we need to reset the router to its factory default and if it is minor problem it will get resolved. In case the issue continues we may need to reload/update the firmware of the router. Please visit the following link to download the latest firmware for DG834G router:

http://www.netgear.com/support/support_details.asp?dnldID=561

Before you upgrade write down all of your current settings as you will need to enter them in MANUALLY after upgrading your firmware. Connect a computer directly to the router with a cable and upload the firmware donot try to upload the firmware wirelessly.
    1. Open the browser (Internet Explorer or Netscape).
    2. Access the router (usually http://192.168.0.1).
    3. Login to the router (User Name = admin Password = password unless you have changed it).
    4. Under Maintenance, click Router Upgrade.
    5. Click Browse and locate the upgrade file.
    6. Click Upload.
    7. Wait for the router to reboot.
    8. Verify that the router firmware has been upgraded.
    9. Reset router to factory defaults by pressing the reset button (small button inside a circular hole ) on the backside of the router for some time 15 seconds so that the light starts flashing.
    10.Wait for the router to reboot.
    11.Re-enter the settings you noted down before upgrading.
    12.Powercycle the router.

Regards

Netgear Support
    support@esupport.netgear.com
    :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I doubt it's your router. IOL and Eircom and presumably also UTV have disconnects on residential dsl at least once a day.

I was getting this problem on my dsl service (virgin.net) but they don't have set disconnect times....i've had the same IP for well over a week now, for instance.
    I was getting disconnected several times a day, and twice it was down for >12 hours. IT turned out that there was a fibre break on my line in the exchange, BT replaced this, all has been fine since then.

• Advertisement

Hey,
    I reset the router last night and reconfigured the box but it made no difference. So I played around with the settings. When I switched off WEP it reconnected no problem.Switch it back on again and it stops reconnecting.Now I have a proper connection but I can't secure the network!!!!

So if I understand you correctly, you've turned off WEP and now the router automatically re-connects to IOLBB after the line drops? Seems odd that the status of WEP has anything to do with the re-connection issues but I'll give it a go this evening.

I've also found another issue - since upgrading to firmware release 1.0.3 I can no longer VPN into my work network. This is a real bummer as this was part of the reason for getting BB at home... Does anyone know where I can get firmware 1.0.2 for the Netgear dg834g? Netgear support have not been much help.

Now I'm asking myself why didn't I buy dlink...

I know it doesn't make sense but I tried it last night and it worked.Router would not connect at all on it's own with wep turned on(128 bit).But as soon as I disabled wep I had no problems.It now connects if I power cycle the box and if I disconnect the phone cable the reconnect it.BTW i'm on firmware 1.03 to get it go to netgear.com find the dg834g and click on support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Originally posted by tomred
    I'm on IOL BB, I haven't tried to flash the router yet. Plan to do so over the w'end

What, you're gonna go up to your router in a trench coat haha :) Sorry, I couldn't help myself ;)

The problem is back again.Scrap the idea about disableing WEP!!!doh

Thanks, I've switched back on the WEP - just didn't like the idea of no having a secure network. I beginning to get used to living with the manual connect step everything I need to access the web.

The problem I now want to get fixed is the access to my company vpn. The previous version of the firmware 1.0.2 worked just fine but since upgrading to firmware 1.0.3 I've been unable to connect :mad:

Time to send another email to Netgear support...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

I started having this problem when I got the router. I removed Nortons Firewall 2001 and loaded up the Netgear firewall.

Since then it takes a minute longer to load in the firewall and I have to X the screen but the login problem has gone. I'm using win 2k sp3.

Update : I got a mail from Netgear and they told me that that they have reports of problems with this unit (DG834G) and those problems are specific to PPPoE (no reported problems with PPPoA)

I have decided to RMA this piece of kit (I got a call from my wife today at work and had to walk her through logging on to the router and bringing up the connection)

I now have a Zyxel 650H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Sh*t. I had terrible trouble with two DG824m's, so I demanded a different model. They sent me the DG834G, which has lost its connection twice in the last month. :| I simply put it down to the ISP changing something.

Netgears support staff are really professional and nice, but their hardware is buggy.

• Advertisement

I got a mail from Netgear and they told me that that they have reports of problems with this unit (DG834G) and those problems are specific to PPPoE

tomred - did Netgear say they were working on a fix for this problem?

Advertisement