Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dognappers

Options
  • 11-12-2003 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

Lo,

I was just wondering if anyones dog ever got stolen. In Galway now, the knackers are constantly robbing dogs and selling them on. Its really worrying for me seeing as my next door neighbours dog was stolen a few weeks ago. I'm not 100% convinced he was stolen but thats what she said. Also a dog in a near-by estate was taken.

It really like if they died horribly but i'll have to make do with keeping my dog
    inside :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I heard of this happening about a year back but haven't really heard any reports since. I don't doubt it's still going on though. If they see a dog they like they'll take it.

All I can really advise is making sure your property is secure, and if it's a smaller dog to keep it inside like you're doing yourself. It's a scary thought to think someone will come onto your property and steal items, but to think they'd still a pet... that's low.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I hope I will never have to experience that!
    I think my dog would be hard enough to steal though! He's a 1 yr old German Shepard and he's huge! Nice temperment but he does bark at strangers! And when he doesn't he stares and trust me hes got the meanest stare i've ever seen!

I think its terrible that this goes on! I for one would be gutted if someone took one of my boys away!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Gilly2003
    I think its terrible that this goes on! I for one would be gutted if someone took one of my boys away!:mad:
    I'm pretty sure the majority of people would consider as close as possible to kidnapping a member of family and selling them on.

I don't know how some people can't grasp that for most people, pets aren't property. They're members of family... :(

Spot on there Seamus. I'm getting married next year and hope to start my own family soon after but the dogs to me are the most important thing in my life right now along with my Human Family.
    There is a suprisingly amount of ppl who don't like dogs! I understand that! A lot of ppl have had bad experiences with dogs!

Bottom line:
    Humans can have lots of Bad Days
    A dog can only have one!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I remember when I was a kid a family who lived down the road from us had a pedigree dachshund (sp.? little sausage dog anyway) , it would always just bark at the gate, never allowed out near the road, then one day it disappeared, the owner got a few mates together and went about 4 miles down the road to the travellers encampment (bout 20 caravans) and there was the little dog tied up with about 10 other dogs of various shapes and sizes, the owner walks in snips the rope and takes his dog home. Luckily the knackers didn't say anything or make a move.

Its a horrible thought though, I know my dog at my parents house will bark and won't go near someone she doesn't know but still you never know if a couple of knackers might just grab it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

A friend on mine in the Gardai told me that about a month back the detained a knacker who had stolen a dog in Malahide , he subsequently brought them to a dog breeder in Ashbourne who had more than 40 animals penned up .
    More than half of them were stolen animals and have been returned to their owners ...

More than half of them were stolen animals and have been returned to their owners ...

Happy ending!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

Dogs have a personality like humans. They can have bad days and granted no one should take things that weren't theres.

Poor Doggies taken from their homes...

~DR~

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

My 11 week old kitten Biscuit got stolen when I was 14. I was so upset....

We noticed an ad in a local paper selling a pedigree cat matching his description (he was a long haired Burmese) and lo and behold, it was him!!!!

Person who was selling him had 'found' him on the street... a load of crap but we got him back for free. Hurrah!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

lucky you embee :) it was bad enough for me when my cat died.....but to have him stolen and know that he was out there somewhere........it'd drive me insane :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

WOW Embee you really did get Lucky!

Maybe you should keep a check on the papers Sionnach!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What about getting one of those implants that all guard dogs are supposed to have by law ?

If all vets had a scanner then there would be less point in nicking a dog - you'd get sussed fairly sharpish.

In fact maybe tie it in with the license, get something back for your money... The sooner all dogs have electronic tags the sooner humans can get them too !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I've been hearing for years that tinkers steal dogs and sell them, but frankly the Cats and Dogs is full of animals that end up being put down - surely there isn't much of a market for your average bowler?

I had my dog - a beloved mongrel - microchipped when she was being spayed; the chip means that if she gets lost and is found and scanned, my address is registered in a central database available to vets and shelters all across Europe.

Not that that would stop me being very careful with her, to keep her safe and un-lost. Oh, nothing more horrible than a lost dog, sad and terrified.

By the way, a family of travellers come to my door all the time, and come in for a cuppa; I've known them for years. They told me that behind the halting site in Tallaght is a yard where kids drive in stolen cars; the "joyriders", they said, often mistreat dogs if they've stolen a car with a dog in it.

Their (the travellers') grandmother found a puppy in the yard with a broken bottle stuck in his belly. She brought him to the vet and paid to have him treated, and kept him for months; then he disappeared from outside the caravan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Some people eh :dunno:

Advertisement