Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet banking.

Options
  • 12-12-2003 6:22am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

Hey my first post on B/E/F and i hope its in the right place.

What are peoples experiences with internet banking? I use ulsterbank and am very disapointed with them as they seem to offer very limited services and only set you up to access from one computer unless you carry a copy of your key file around on floopy.
    My friends that are travelling with me are using boi and aib and as far as i can see aib seem to offer the best service.

Sorry if this has been posted before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by TomTom
    My friends that are travelling with me are using boi and aib and as far as i can see aib seem to offer the best service.

AIB is very good, can use used in from any machine, even a net café...

gerard

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have used BOI before, alright
    Now using AIB, better, no complaints

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

I was with AIB, but moved over to UB. I really miss being able to see my credit card transactions. But with UB I can view loads and loads of transactions. Aib limited it to only a couple of pages.

As for portability of UB internet banking - simply email the xxxxxxxx.ser file found in your user.home directory to your 'hotmail' account. Then simply download it to the user.home which you are logging in as- be it in an internet cafe or at work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Another discussion about this, might be useful.

adam

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Have a guy at home that is going to e-mail on the ser file. Tis a bit of a pain in the ass having to do that though. I thought the banks would use a similar system.

What is the need for this .ser file anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

I guess it's some sort of properitery 2 way authentication mechanism based on some client side java code running. Gods knows why they went with this approach, if they wanted 2 way why not use 2 way https with client certs???. I rang up there tech support when I first joined about accessing it from work. We got talking about their security mechanism. Big pain in the head for tech support.

I guess they had an over zealous security officer. I mean all you have to do is look at the other banks and ultilities websites - nice and simple - uname/id and password/pin (or two)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

AIB online service is brilliant accessable from anywhere and easy to use

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I use AIB. Pay my vodafone and credit card bill through it. Very handy. Never have to got to the post office or bank to pay, just do it all on line. AIB now allows you to increase your CC limit on line also. Great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

PermenantTSB is very good, its called www.open24.ie

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

is it possible to get your credit card account added to the ulster bank service. I can't get any response for ulster on this on. I need to see credit card transactions and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ShaneHogan

National Irish Bank's is pretty cool. You can set up new payees directly online (i.e. no need to call the helpdesk, as you have to do with some of the other operators). You can also set up recurring payments (i.e. standing orders), so say goodbye to all those oul standing order setup fees.

The only things I don't like are some problems with the 'messages' facility for communicating with the tech support and a restriction of last 10 transactions when downloading credit card statements to QIF or other file formats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by TomTom
    is it possible to get your credit card account added to the ulster bank service. I can't get any response for ulster on this on. I need to see credit card transactions and stuff.
    I've asked fort that on a number of occasions. Apparently its in development (and has been since I first asked over 2 years ago). Take it that the answer is No.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

I think the Bank of Ireland are the only ones that can have ur current a/c and your credit card a/c online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ShaneHogan

Originally posted by FinoBlad
    I think the Bank of Ireland are the only ones that can have ur current a/c and your credit card a/c online.
    Not true - National Irish Bank offer this facility also.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by FinoBlad

...and AIB

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Stay away from business banking online with Bank of ireland. Its a major ****ing pain in the arse. Just spent 45mins trying to get 2 payments through.

Advertisement