Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insurance for my laptop

• 12-12-2003 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I am currently buying a laptop valued at €1600 (Packard Bell) in PC World, they offer insurance that covers theft for one year and accidents and damage for 3 years at a cost of €450. Is this value for money, is there better deals out there, anybody know of any snags involved in insuring laptops? Any info appriciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i would say not. seems like a lot to me, and f you are buying it in a shop somewhere, the extras like that are where they make their money out of you.

i'd say go to your normal insurance people and see what they say. direct line or something like that if they work in ireland.

also try your bank, some banks do insurance too.

or walk into your nearest broker and see what he can do.

i can almost guarantee it's not going to be the best quote you'll get.

almost a 3rd of the price of the laptop for one year's insurance?

for a slightly different approach to insurance, see these guys: http://www.pcphonehome.com/.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

BOI offer home insurance that you can add your laptops and PDA's to. It will cover theft from outside your home, which is what you need.

For our apart, ity as €128 per year for contents up tp 18K and the extra laptop cover too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

dont suppose you know if you have to be a memebr of the branch to get that ins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Firist things first Your buying a Laptop from PC world... For €1600.

Did you look on the net first, my advice dont but off PC World or Packard Bell Please?????????

Anyway the insurance go for a broker

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lets say your laptop will last three years before you spend another €1,500 - so you are spending €500 a year continuously in effect.

In 18 months time you will be able to buy a laptop with better specs (but heavier) or a secondhand one of the same spec for under a grand.. compare that to €450 up front - if there is about 50% chance of it being trashed within 18 months then it ain't of merchantable quality or you need to spend money on home security. - so go with the insurance and don't forget to drop it's value 33% each year to keep the premium down...

TBH: I have heard lots of bad stories about PC Worlds repair service - we had a psu problem with one of their PC's so I just swapped it out rather than let those butchers near it.

The Plan: Some day I will tape one of those PC world muppets saying that you can break something and change it later. Then I'll break the item 2 years 11 months later and if PC world don't replace with a new one, I'll sue them as they employed the muppet - and if that fails I will sue the muppet as they are acting in a professional capacity. When I win I'll publish an ad and distribute flyers to that effect :D

Many years ago PC world in the UK sold Dell precision PC's (It was different to a Dimension only by 5 letters on the plastic bezel and the onsite service.) Used to tell people - have a look in PC world, when you see what you like, ring Dell and even if you upgrade to on-site cover you'd save about £300 sterling

Also reminder that PC world / Dixons / Currys are the SAME company. And if you do decide to buy from them check out prices in NI or the Tax free shopping in Gatwick - you may need to get foreign cover though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

dont suppose you know if you have to be a memebr of the branch to get that ins?

dont think so, but im not sure.... im with BOI, but I think the insurance is a seperate entity.

Give em a call.

Advertisement