Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck between cards.

• 12-12-2003 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

Oj, i have about €220 or so to play around with and am still looking to get a new card. My choices are as follows:

Sapphire Radeon 9800SE Atlantis 128M DDR - €214.53
    Sapphire Radeon 9600XT Atlantis 256M DDR - €205.10
    Asus Radeon 9600XT 128MB DDR (Video In/Out) - €210.54
    - I am also tempted by the Geforce FX5700 but im not to osure in their performace when related to the Radeons.

Anyone reccomend which of the cards should I go for or should i take a look at the FX5700 [are they worth it after their poor DirectX 9 performance?]. I may go for the 9800se but i dont think it will perform aswell as the 9600XT... any ideas?

All prices are Komplett's

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

have a look at www.xbitlabs.com

big mad review of currant gfx cards

personally i would go for the 9600 xt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

ive heard great things about the pros. should prob have a look into them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I would go with the Sapphire Radeon 9600XT Atlantis 256M DDR - €205.10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I am really stuck between the Sapphire Radeon 9600XT Atlantis 256M DDR (€205.10) and the Asus Radeon 9600XT 128MB DDR (Video In/Out - €210.54). The Asus has the advantage of Video In and Out but only has 128mb ram. As opposed to just the Tv Out on the Sapphire but 256mb ram.

I am not too sure of any performance loss between going for the lesser ram. I do want my performance, but it is very tempting to get the VideoIn/Out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

You will not notice any improvement in todays games with the 256mb ram if you want the video in/out go with the asus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i have no idea about video in/out tv in/out etc. but what about a 9800SE AIW does it have all the video features you would require.

If so i'd consider this also as you could attempt the soft mod, if it works you have a 9800 pro if it doesn't you have a good midrange card with a lot of features.

They are available for about €230 on www.overclockers.co.uk

and you can see a review comparing them to a 9600XT here:

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD02NTU

happy shopping oh and the 5700ultra is getting good reviews see here:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1910&p=1

my personal advice is if you can lay out an extra hundred work an extra shift whatever you gotta do and get this

a powercolor radeon 9800 pro for €325 from komplett

Advertisement