Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

female musicians

Options
  • 12-12-2003 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

why is music a male dominated industry? if you disagree with me, whats ur arguement

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

deja vu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭luce

Look out for Maeve O'Regan. She's a fudging legend.
    She'll be playing The Village on December 30th supporting Mute (even though she's much better :p ). Doors are at 7:00pm and it's 10 yoyos in or 8 with a flyer (see the flyer table in Tower). If you want to be on the mailing/texting list, pm me or 'memaeve'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭MrGump

Originally posted by Raggamuffin
    deja vu

well its going to happen! we arent that original here on boards.ie! Jonny- see Rapture queen's post from around 9 months ago, too tired to create a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I forget what I was going to post here...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

I disagree, it might be about 30/70 in favour of the guys, but some of those wouldn't deserve it. I can't think of any female act who is nothing but quality! also, with that strokes sound big at the moment its hard for the girls to touch the husky voiced rock side of the market, lack of a husky voice is holding them back. But ah.. I'd just like to finish with.... Gemma Hayes! oh and Nina Hynes.... and Ann Scott.... okay i'll stop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Thanks for the plug Lucy, real subtle! :)

Damn straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

it's kinda weird, i was thinking about his before, pop ****e is generally more 50/50, probably veering towards the ladies...
    but decent music is completely dominated by men.
    the women who manage to release material on indie/rock/punk/whatever labels etc are generally brilliant, but there's really very few. yeah gemma hayes, nina hynes, ann scott.. but i can think of approximately 4other bands that even contain any girls at all, and that i actually like. and maybe 3other soloists. it's crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I think Dido is sufficient evidence to suggest women shouldn't be allowed to release records.

I have to go against you on this one magpie. I have a fully grown hate towards the modern pop charts. But Dido, showed some talent, she's got a nice voice and does some nice songs.

Now before everyone forms a mob and comes to burn my house down, she doesn't compare to most female singers in the genre of "good" music, but if she started through the smaller venues, did a pubs and clubs tour of Ireland (to include Whealans) instead of going major label and doing her eminem gig, I'd say we'd have a different opinion on her! perhaps!

Truth is she didn't, but its food for thought!

LegOfSalmon

• Advertisement

Hmm, if you like Dido try listening to Beth Orton, who is like Dido but talented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Originally posted by magpie
    Hmm, if you like Dido try listening to Beth Orton, who is like Dido but talented.

they are similar indeed.. neither of them seem to be able so sing in any other key or tone. i find them both droning and although i do like hearing the od song off either of them i don't think i'd survive an entire album.

i find them both droning

Indeed.

In her defence Beth Orton is at least able to enunciate the end of words while singing, as opposed to dildo who insists on dropping them in some reverse glottal stop type manouevre.... "there will be no wha fla abo ma do"
    i do like hearing the od song off either of them i don't think i'd survive an entire album.

I agree wholeheartedly. But neither of us are 30-something lovelorn spinsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

She has a good voice the production team behind her just need some anti-depressants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

i dont remember that mrgump, ya shoulda made a link...

i think rapture queen is dead now though... she hasnt appeared in these parts for many many months...

anyhoo...

the music industry is dominated my male vocals because they sell better? quite simple methinks...

although isnt most pop music female vocals? (westlife, boyzone, busted, travis, etc etc etc)

hmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jonny

i heard an interview with Berkely (i dunno how they spell it) on 2fm, and at the end they were pluggin a gig in the tbmc. they said that there was an EXCELLENT band supporting them. when asked why that band were so good, yer man replied with "well theyre an all girl band, but they can ACTUALLY play their intsruments" (not an exact quote, but close enough). i found this interesting, that male and female creative musicians are credited in different leagues. ("shes good...for a girl", type vibe that ive personally heard before). Like men and women have their seperate leagues in sports and generally the womens league are seen to be of lower standards. it seems to me that this approach has also been taken in music. but then, there are not nearly as many female contenders in the game, that the high standard percentile would PROBABLY be at a lower standard (like having Namibia in the rugby world cup, when not that many namibians play rugby, and therefore theres not that many good rugby players to choose from for their team, and therefore are probably not going to be much competitian for other big rugby countries like australia..etc..). but then, is there competition in the music scene between men and women? and why is it often "good marketing" to have, for example, a female bassist? its like a gimik to be a female musician.

It's good marketing to have a female bass player (a la JJ72) as it gives the indie kids a pin up. Of course if she was pig ugly a bloke would be better.

Originally posted by jonny
    i heard an interview with Berkely (i dunno how they spell it) on 2fm, and at the end they were pluggin a gig in the tbmc. they said that there was an EXCELLENT band supporting them. when asked why that band were so good, yer man replied with "well theyre an all girl band, but they can ACTUALLY play their intsruments" (not an exact quote, but close enough).
    It's Berkeley. I heard it too. I know what you're saying and I happen to agree with you (to an extent) but I don't see it as fair to use that as an example. I don't think he meant what he said to come across as an insult in that particular circumstance. He simply seemed to be light-heartedly pointing out what this whole thread is about-that there are more men thriving in this area of the industry than women at the moment. That's what I got from it anyway.

Oh and for the record, while I know you've admitted that's not the exact quote and I don't recall word for word it either, I know for a fact that he didn't say it that brashly 'cause if he did I'd definitely remember!

I agree with you in that a lot of people have the ''she's good-for a girl'' attitude towards female musicians and there are indeed fewer women in the running but I definitely don't think that they're of a lower standard. There are plenty of top class female acts about...take Gemma Hayes, Maeve O'Regan, Fair Verona (the band Tommy was talking about on 2fm), PJ Harvey as examples...

not to mention (and yes i know they're not all all-girl bands) the breeders, arch enemy, louise byrne, fleetwood mac... all very talented women in varied styles...

Originally posted by Kurdt
    not to mention (and yes i know they're not all all-girl bands) the breeders, arch enemy, louise byrne, fleetwood mac... all very talented women in varied styles...
    ...thank you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

There aren't as many good female singers around. The men seem to better[well atm anyway]. Although there are a few good female vocalists that i like. Lisa Hannigan [who sings backing for Damien Rice] is brilliant.

I accept there aren't AS MANY but I think the ones who are around are just as talented.

the 'singer' from the darkness is female right?

ooooh i thought of some more...

ladytron
    nightwish

hmmm a lot of air songs have female vocalists in them and they're pretty good... though 'the vagabond' with beck is probably me favourite

ooooh 'dirge' by death in vegas

oooooh and 'the phantom opera ghost' by iced earth

i'm gonna stop now...

:p

The prosecution would again like to mention Dido.

the defence would like to mention robbie williams

ya see, if ya just come up with bland pop female singers then yeah, everyones gonna think girlie musicians are crap...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

PJ Harvey's alright...

*shrug*

OK, well if you want to be serious about it I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Siouxsie and the Banshees, Blondie, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Talking Heads (Tina Weymouth), Kate Bush et al rather than the earth-shattering talent that is Damien Rice's backing singer...

The track "Tear drop" by Massive Attack is a reminder to one the reasons why women-folk are more than nessicary as singers. That mystical vocals that a female singerNo man could pull that off, there is something magical about Beth Orten's voice....either that or fairplay to the post-production!

and thanks emboss I knew her already. :D

Damien Rice's backing singer is the wondeful, talented, beautiful Lisa Hannigan. I would go as far to say that without her Damien wouldn't be doing half as well as he is.

Also she may have been mentioned, but Kim from Sonic Youth!

OK, well if you want to be serious about it I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Siouxsie and the Banshees, Blondie, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Talking Heads (Tina Weymouth), Kate Bush et al rather than the earth-shattering talent that is Damien Rice's backing singer...

a ha ha we made you be serious!

some good ones there... anyone go to see blondie recently? debbies still got it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

My Ruin
    Snake River Conspiracy
    Jack Off Jill
    Scarling

:D Happy happy joy joy! Some class female talents there!

Advertisement