Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

female musicians

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Oh, and Ex-Girl are good, for comical purposes of course! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

kim deal for the pixies and the breeders can be seen in action here:

breeders5.jpg

breeders3.jpg

breeders4.jpg

she is one of my favorite all time artists, go kim!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

****ing hell... Kim needs to lay off the beer and donuts. She's the size of the Graf Zeppelin. I hope they've got a reinforced stage for this pixies comeback tour what with her and Frank Black. The tour should be sponsored by weightwatchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MoStCool

As singers anyway, women have to go good. Whereas some men can get away with not having good but interesting voices. For example, I think Damien Dempsey has a really interesting voice and therefore it helps me like his work, but I don't think he has a good voice.
    A female singer really does have to be a good singer, if not a great singer. Not sure why this is, but it holds true for my tastes anyway. Ian Brown....not a note in his head live but he gets away with it...most women wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MoStCool

Forgot to make a point in the above post.

That's why I think there are more male singers in bands....because there are less good singers around in both sexes but some not good male singers can front a band.

• Advertisement

Just to add to my above list....

Human Waste Project
    The Start
    Skindive (Shame on you if you don't know them :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭luce

Skindive are brilliant. I'm so p*ssed off about them splitting up.

Tis a tragedy alright. I presume that means the new album, which was apparently recorded and mixed, won't be out ever! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Hello Spaceman

Not only do we have a female vocalist / guitarist but we also have a female drummer!I could say we rock but I'd rather you find that out for yourselves.

So 2 options check us out tonight in Voodoo (19 December) or check out our website
    www.silveraddictive.com. Yeah 2 chicks who kick ass alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

2 chicks who kick ass

If they're lookers you'll go a long way. It worked for JJ72.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

man o man, i never knew skindive split up... that's not fun..
    surprised noone's mentioned the girl in the smashing pumpkins whose, God forgive me, name i can't think of. she has a beautiful voice, it's real little girlish (&not in the usual, 'ah, aren't they great but kinda tonedeaf' way)
    &magpie what kind of ass are you slagging her weight? man that's witty... go slag pavorotti, you'll cut him deep.

You mean D'Arcy? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tara

Liz is out with a new album - what does everyone make of the new "Liz". Have to admit that I am a bit disappointed as she was one of my female music heros.
    Saw her on Conan O'Brien the other night, and she has even done a "Christmas"album. Strange but true. Indie girl rocker to contemporary artist. Rumor is that she was even working with song writers for Avril Lavinge. A pity as I thought she wrote some good ones all on her own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

P.J. Harvey is class, as is Charlotte from Ash there are two fine bitches who can play aswell as sing.

The Coctaeu twins had some beautiful songs and they were scanks.

Kate Bush, Joni Micthel, Liz Phair and Debbie Harry are also quality birds

Other notable bass playing hoes are D'arcy , Kim Deal and 'that blonde one' in The Ravonettes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nena

I did my thesis on this whole issue. It appears that the reason female artists are so sparse in the industry is not because of their talent but their coverage. And Im not talking clothes here, but I think that is a whole other issue.

When women are reviewed in a magazine, which is rarely I may add, they are generally referred to for their looks or attire. This is changing I know, but on average what they're wearing or who they are scoring is the main issue of review. If its a band with a female musician, the issue is brought up again. And she is asked what its like to be the only female in the band. etc....

I do agree that using a female in the band, can be a good marketing strategy but it takes away from the talented females out there, gives them less crediblity. I mean the first manufacturered band was a boy band....couldn't that be the kernel of the argument?

Frankly it pisses me off. I think women have to work harder at being considered 'talented' or credible as musicians. I was out the other night, chatting away to some bloke and he couldn't understand how 'passionate' I was about music. You know, for a girl!! And even with the whole, what kinda music are you into... a girls interests are always considered some how lesser than a blokes.

Sorry for rambling, just a thorny issue with me..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

Women in music, where do ya start... i think music in general is comin on in leaps and bounds in ireland and i know a lot of bands up and coming some of them are all guys some guys+gals some all girl bands, Fair Verona spring to mind who've been interviewed in HP and have supported bands like berkely and almost out performed them at their own show. I don't think music is predominantly male or female, both genders bring their angle to the table but it is at the end of the day music is an individual thing regardless of sex.. just as long as every1 gets enough of it. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭luce

Yeah, Fair Verona put on a good show alright. They're playing The Hub on January 10th. I'll probably go.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

miss catherine dowling the voice and keyboard/acoustic/rythem guitarist with the excellent alphastates.

best Irish band in years,

their debut album made of sand is out in feb.

a voice that sends a shiver down your spine each listen with music to match and heart wrenching lyrics that touch you deep down.what more could you ask for ?!

check them out at

www.alphastates.com

and listen to that song, round here

Another female artist that i have discovered recently is Ani DiFranco, i bought little plastic castle a few weeks ago and it took over my cd player, she's got a really amazing talent for song writing, can't wait to hear her new album in the new year

TBH I think bands like Evanesence (:() take away from the credibility of female singers. That may just be because I dislike them greatly, but I can see a load of imitation bands starting soon and it will really destroy bands with good female leads/musicians. They, like Avril Lavigne, are a joke, but they appeal to the masses who will now believe they're into female orientated rock etc, yet certain important/talented names will remain a mystery to them.

It's Christmas, I shouldn't moan! :D Time to go watch my new Opeth DVD :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Originally posted by Shanannigan
    Another female artist that i have discovered recently is Ani DiFranco, i bought little plastic castle a few weeks ago and it took over my cd player, she's got a really amazing talent for song writing, can't wait to hear her new album in the new year

She does backing vocals on three of the tracks on hamel on trials new ablum Tough Love. Its one of the albums of the year and his Village gig was one of the hightlights of the year aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

Lucious Jackson 'nuff said

I don't mean to stray from the original topic but Hamell On Trial is a really good songwriter...

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Smiler

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    TBH I think bands like Evanesence (:() take away from the credibility of female singers. That may just be because I dislike them greatly, but I can see a load of imitation bands starting soon and it will really destroy bands with good female leads/musicians. They, like Avril Lavigne, are a joke, but they appeal to the masses who will now believe they're into female orientated rock etc, yet certain important/talented names will remain a mystery to them.

It's Christmas, I shouldn't moan! :D Time to go watch my new Opeth DVD :D:D:D

Yeah Evanesence Suck. Our band has a female vocalist too and we play rock. But real rock/funk not that nu-metal sh1t.

Check us out www.tailormadeproject.com :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Jolene

just to get back to the original point, it all depends on what genre you're talking about (willis)
    the pop market is most definately not male dominated, and I'd even go so far as to say its probably 60:40 female
    hip-hop,rnb, country even, women enjoy the same amount of success as men and aren't hindered at all by their gender

and as regards musicianship, i think one of the reasons theres been more of a male presence in 'real' bands, is simply that more men play(ed?) instruments than women(although thats changing now definately)
    and i'm only talking guitars, drums etc here.
    there has always been a huge amount of female pianists, violinists, cellists etc
    and why? because they decided they wanted to learn these instruments? no, chances are they were probably forced. but thats all changing now, as gender issues generally tend to with each generation
    think about it, how many people got music lessons when they were kids?
    my grandmother plays the piano, my mother plays the violin (she wanted to play the bass drum in the artane boys band when she was little. so her dad bought her a violin. why? thats what girls play.)
    i play the drums (albeit badly) its just become more standard now, theres no male/female difference as there was.

so while yeah, there is way more of a male presence in the industry, it's not necessarily because women cant play their instruments and men dont want to give them a chance, i'd say its more to do with the fact that there are more men in bands that can play instruments. and like i said, thats changing, so therefore female musicianship is a more common occurance.

sorry if my thoughts were a bit confused, but thats just how i see it

and also, Dolly Parton - can any of you lot can play banjo with 12inch acrylic nails?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

and also, Dolly Parton - can any of you lot can play banjo with 12inch acrylic nails? [/B]

Good point. :D

I agree with a lot of what you said too Jolene. It is becoming less and less of a male dominated industry. I'm too tired to make any valid points right now though. :)

xxx me

Advertisement