Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRV33E Sony Camcorder price difference

• 12-12-2003 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

Just a quick note to let you know that I am looking to buy a Sony DCR-TRV33E digital camcorder. All irish prices including sony.ie are roughly 1,149euro.

I can buy the same model from the US for €670euro including shipping. It is definitely the PAL version because I have phoned them to check it. It helps that the euro is so strong against the dollar, but that doesn't explain all of the 480euro difference.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Tell me about it!

I bought a Hp Ipaq 2215 in the US for $399 the day after it was released and saw it in a duty free shop in heathrow for £599 sterling!!!
    thats over €700 people!!!
    They have come down a little bit in the past few months but te price difference has no justification whatsoever- other then tax i suppose, but i done know how much tax is on electronic devices imported.

It is too big a difference to be just the manufacturer surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Yeah its one big joke!

I just got myself a Nikon 5400 (great camera) from the states for $640 (700 yoyos), I had a mate bring it back from the US.

www.Pixels.ie on liffey st had it for €1000 - thats an extra €300 for the pleasure!

Why the 300 extra must we alway be ripped off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

I don't think we are been ripped off by the shops in Ireland.

all electronics in Ireland has 21% vat
    I think in US is much lower
    most Asia countries are 5% vat
    so for €1000 item there is €210 vat to be added in Ireland.
    but in Asia there is only €50 vat to be added.

Also the raise of insurance and rent would have some inpact on the price.
    I heard that some business has 200% raise on insurance.
    Not sure if this is true tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

str8_away - Your calculations still do NOT account for the €480 that I am saving! And just because an irish insurance company decides to rip off and irish store, it does not mean that I have to be punished! Its a vicious spiralling circle the rate at which prices (and costs) are rising! But, it'll never stop if people keep on paying the asking price.

Advertisement