Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats Going On At Leeds Utd.??

• 12-12-2003 4:33pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hows it goin??
    I have been a Leeds fan my whole life and I want ask other soccer fans what they think about Leeds?? I think its a disgrace that they are in such a bad financial position and its all Peter Ridsdales' fault for allowing O' Leary to spend so much money.

Because they were so far in debt they had to break up the best up and coming team in the premiership to pay their debts and even now the club only has untill January 19th to find a buyer or they are in serious trouble.

As for the team they have been absolutely awful this season. If you look at the players that remain at the club they shouldn't be in the position they are. Eddie Gray has turned things around in the last few games and added a bit of pride to the team. I agree with him dropping all the foreign loan signings and only playing players
    that want to play for the team. Its up to the players to drag the club out of relegation for two reasons - Obviously to avoid relegation - To make the club more attractive to potential buyers as a team doing well is a much better proposition.

I would love to see Eddie Gray installed as permanent boss if he can get his coaching badges as he is Leeds through and through.

I'm intersted to hear fans of any club's opinions on leeds right now.
    POST THEM UP IF YOU CAN.THANKS.

Leeds United - Marching on together

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Its a shame to see Leeds in their current state. O leary denies responsibility for it and claims he was never involved in the financial aspects of buying players. I think leed will go into recievership in january and go down at the end of the season. Maybe a year or two in the first division would allow them rebuild without the pressure of the premiership. Eddies gray has done a good job and may keep them up if they can avoid recievership but its hard to see anyone buying them before that when they are so much in debt particulalr in the current financial climate.

One thing I would be confident about is that no matter what happens they are too big a club to disappear and will come back from their problems but I can see that taking a number of years and good management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

90% of it is Ridsdale's fault - he gambled nearly 100 million on success. He lost.

The rest is O'Leary's - he squandered huge portions of that money - Seth Johnson, Robbie Fowler, Robbie Keane, all players that Leeds did not need to buy - that's 30 million wasted on the transfer fees alone, to say nothing of the wages since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

... and good management.
    so they are ****ed then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

The difference is that when O'Leary was there he was getting them into the CL, which was netting them some well needed quids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Seth Johnson is on £40,000 a week. This increases by about 10% yearly so by then end of his contract he will be on almost £50,000 a week.

This is Seth fucking Johnson. How anyone in their right mind could give that sort of contract to a young unproven player (while paying £9m for him if I remember correctly) speaks volumes for what went wrong at the club.

At one stage they had Robbie Fowler, Alan Smith, Mark Viduka and Robbie Keane at the club all of which were too established to accept rotation and all of which were on nuts money. I think Fowler was on nearly £60,000. He and Keane cost £23m between them, essentially to be used as squad players. Thats just dumb.

Peter Ridsdale was a moron but really and truly everyone involved should have known better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

At one stage they had Robbie Fowler, Alan Smith, Mark Viduka and Robbie Keane at the club all of which were too established to accept rotation and all of which were on nuts money. I think Fowler was on nearly £60,000. He and Keane cost £23m between them, essentially to be used as squad players. Thats just dumb.

I agree with that. Reminds me of the situation at todays chelski ,the difference being Leeds didn,t have the finances to sustain it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Fair Play to leeds beating Fulham. I watched the match and they played really well it shouldnt have been so close. I hope the last few results is the start of team actually starting to wake up and play a bit!! Financial problem is still a hige problem though and I heard they are probably going to have sell players again in january. I hope a buyer can be found before than so the team can be kept together.

If they play like they did in last 3 games there is no way they are gonna be relegated!!! Go on leeds

Advertisement