Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

local area connection- gets dissconected

• 12-12-2003 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

i finally got broadband , my local area network seems to dissconect every few minutes ?
    i replug it in and then its back, i dont think the plugs lose ?
    any other reasons ?

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

its probably a dodgy cable. if you bought the cable, return it, if you made it, re-crimp it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

alright thanks man.
    its my cabel. because the cabel supplied is too small.
    re crimp it, as in straighten it, so theres no twists ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

is the error message you get

local area network cable unplugged

if so then thats got nothing to do with your broadband , what youve got is a lan card in your PC with the drivers installed and no cable plugged in, happens all the time on WIN XP

Disable the onboard lan in your bios, thatll sort you out

Shin

yeah, i get exactly that message
    Disable the onboard lan in your bios, thatll sort you out

how ?

Thanks a million

by re-crimp i mean take off the connectors at each end and reattach them, as a wire could be loose. do taht if its a home-made cable.

• Advertisement

well i went into setup and Intergrated Periphals and turned off the network adapter.
    will see now if it worked.

not working ! :eek:

:(

look for any lan drivers in your add/remove proggies list

i pmed you as well

shin

1) try a different lan cable, check to make sure lan card is properly seated in the computers (assuming its PCI and not buildtin).

2) Try getting new drivers.

thanks m_f and shin,
    well i have a lan card, i disabled it in bios, didnt work, so i enabled it and unbintalled the drivers, so now its gone from the network connections and i am still getting that error.

i havea zyXel pestige 630 modem, got it with iol broadband. i updated its drivers too.
    i am currently getting xp service pack 1 and some updates, maybe that would help ?

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Before your local area network worked fine yes?, is it since you got the USB modem from Esat that the connection has been going down?.

ive never tried it before ? it always had an X on it, in networks connections.
    i rang tech support, guy says cable i`m using is crap , so i should try the one i`m giving, which is way too short !

ran it on dads, laptop with the cable they supplied and it still gave the same error.
    Why am i the only one whos sufering from this.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Who did you get BB with that gave you LAN cableing???. Is it X-over cabling or patch?. How long before it disconnects you?, does the Internet also disconnect or is it only the LAN connection?.

try removing the actual connection from under netwrok connections, although it should now not be there since youve uninstalled the drivers

that fix im giving you is as i said that local area connection unplugged is nothing to do with your broadband, your lan card was giving you that message,

So now try what mutant said and if that doesnt work get onto your ISP pronto as theres something wrong other than you physical connections

Also try disabling your firewall and remove any file sharing apps and dont forget the old faithful of spyware on your machine

Shin

do i need a filter in phone sockets not being used by BB, like upstairs is just a phone.
    my friend told me not to, ive done it now and connection has stayed up to 11 min.

edit: 21 min.
    edit 46 min.

this looks like the problem. hopefully it was.

anything that has a phone socket plugged into it must have a filter on it otherwise your not completing your BB circuit

Think of your BB as an electrical circuit, it must complete if its to stay connected, an unfiltered phoneline breaks that circuit therefore you need it filtered, also needs to beon sky digital if you got that as well

Regards

Shin

its my stupid friend, he told me not to use those.
    Thanks to everyone for all their advice, really appreciated.

Thanks alot shinzon.

Advertisement