Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom FM Heavy 100 - FINAL Chance to Vote!!

Options
  • 12-12-2003 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

Folks! We are starting the top 100 albums of all time according to you guys - the Phantom FM listeners!

Voting is very simple - go to http://www.phantomfm.com/resources/heavy100.htm and enter your top three albums in order of preference. You can vote for any album that has been released ... ever!

On December 26th, we will be counting down and playing tracks from all 100 albums. We'll also be randomly giving away goodies but you must vote to be eligible to win!

Get voting today!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Whats the deal can you vote more than once? Because I'll sit here all day voting if it means The Bends will get to number one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

We would prefer if you would select your top 3 favourite albums and vote ONCE please. Our system will delete multiple votes so you will only be wasting your time!

We are getting a great response - with votes coming in from everywhere from Nashville to Madrid to Doncaster to Clontarf! Great variety of album titles as well!

Get voting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Do EPs and mini-albums count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

what i went for :

1. katatonia - discouraged ones

2. jeff buckley - grace

3. anathema - alternative 4

.....whats everyone else goin for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭The Weatherman

Mine's gonna have to include........

destiny's child: for what they did for independent women everywhere.

fitty cent: for keepin it real!

busted: because they're off the hook.

• Advertisement

Do EPs and mini-albums count?

No unfortunately, it needs to be a full length album.

AC/DC - Back In Black

Pearl Jam - Ten

Radiohead - The Bends

I didn't even have to think about it tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Today Doncaster, tomorrow Huddersfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I voted for:

No. 3: The Dandy Warhols: Thirteen Tales from Urban Bohemia.

No. 2: Nirana: In Utero

No. 1: Pixies: Surfer Rosa.

Creature, I prefer both No Code and Yield to Ten. But whatever tickles your pickle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

i went for

pink floyd - dark side of the moon
    radiohead - the bends
    soulwax - much against everyones advice

hmmmm

really close though... on another day i'd probably go for sumat else like...

leonard cohen - songs of love and hate
    pearl jam - ten
    ryan adams - gold

oh well...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

something is rotten if these gems don't get in....

Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    MBV - Loveless
    dEUS - Ideal Crash

On the subject - Pitchforks top 100 of the 90's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭saintgaz

Some good stuff in the Pitchfork poll, but smacks too much of "let's stick this in, nobody will have heard of it except me" trainspottery.

If you're gonna go all eclectic and look beyond the charts, then one might assume that a poll of the best albums of the 90s wouldn't have missed out on probably THE best album of the 90's - Whipping Boy's Heartworm. Thank Christ I got it on CD and not vinyl - it would have worn away to nothing long ago I've played it so much- and it still sounds as fresh as the first time I heard it. Hopefully a few more people in these here parts won't be so ignorant of this album's brilliance and it'll take it's rightful place amongst the greats.

Hmm, just entered 3 records I like. But how can you decide what your all time favourite record is if you own more than 5?

My choices were

1) Dido, Life for Rent
    2) Busted, A present for everyone
    3) Richie Kavanagh, Aon Focal Eile

Please note that "Best of "compilations aren't counted as original albums however we will include certain live albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

saintgaz hearworm got my vote for no1 anyway the others were almost impossible to decide I think I went for at the drive in relationship of command and the clash london calling there were others that narowly missed out such as AC/DC back in black, Television marque moon, dead kennadys plastic surgey disasters, Pixies surfa rosa, neil young on the beach, The bends, Lou reed new york

Originally posted by Wacker

Creature, I prefer both No Code and Yield to Ten. But whatever tickles your pickle.

Well No Code and Yield are both fantastic albums(as is the rest of their material :) ) but c'mon Ten is the daddy. It just reeks of perfection.

It reeks alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

yup, reeks of perfection

repitition is wonderful
    repitition is wonderful
    repitition is wonderful
    repitition is wonderful
    repitition is wonderful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Hmm, just entered 3 records I like. But how can you decide what your all time favourite record is if you own more than 5?
    Well ye could start by not having Busted and Richie Kavanagh as 2 of yer favourite 3 !!! :(
    Off the top of my head I went for
    1. Nirvana - Nevermind
    2. Pixies - Doolittle
    3. Smashing Pumpknis - Siamese Dream

Seems like the Heavy 100 is going to be like a night out in Whelans. The same old ****e again and again and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Think yer right there magpie. Great innit ! :D

I'll just get my desert boots and donkey jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

I thought this was a 'heavy' 100!! How can you put jeff buckley and dildo in a heavy 100...

wtf

Heavy means guitars plugged in and turned up to 11 does it not. I know there aint no stipulation on what 'heavy' is but come on for fawkes sake. The answers in the question.

I doubt they mean Heavy as in heavy music, its just the top 100 as voted by the listeners. They probably just threw in the "heavy" to make it sound more catchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 My Name IsJonas

Turn have some mention of it being strange that its called heavy and that the top albums won't be heavy on their news page.

They should have called it either

a) The Hairy 100 in honour of the DLT proclivities of the Djs or;
    b) The Hoary 100 as it will feature so many old chestnuts

But heavy it ain't. Not even in the hippie sense of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hello all,

Thanks to the many hundreds who have already voted in their top three albums. Keep going please, the closing date is Sunday December 22nd at Midnight.

Voting is very simple - go to http://www.phantomfm.com/resources/heavy100.htm and enter your top three albums in order of preference. You can vote for any album that has been released ... ever!

And no, it doesnt have to be a "heavy" rock album, you choose the album, and if it gets the votes its in there.

And yes Magpie, albums that are popular with a great deal of people will be prominently featured in this chart. Odd that isnt it? Such a musical snob heehee.

Get voting!

Regards,

Pete Reed
    97.3 Phantom FM
    reed@phantomfm.com

Hoary 100 it is then!

I suspect "The Thoughts of Everlist Davjack" won't be featured prominently then Pete?

The Heavy 100 - It weighs a tonne ... get it?

• Advertisement

That's pretty clever... I bet you came up with that in the bath?

Advertisement