Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless network jamming query

• 12-12-2003 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Sometime in the new year I'll be getting a broadband connection from Irish Broad Band which is a wirless ISP. I read somewhere (possibly this board, I can't remember) that IBB block other wireless network signals.

As I'm also thinking of putting in my own wireless network to my house I was wondering does anyone know if this will be a problem?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Walls and roof should block signals from any external transmitter. - If you are using a non-line of sight unit inside the house then you might have problems. - just separete them - as long as the channels are different and the units are not too close it should work.

When they start using the 3.5GHz equipment that they now have licenses for it should not intefere with 2.4GHz

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

Thanks. It will definetly be the LOS product, what frequency does that work at then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    When they start using the 3.5GHz equipment that they now have licenses for it should not intefere with 2.4GHz

would that be ripwave? i heard in another thread that they were turned down for a full on ripwave licence (or whatever they needed to get to launch it properly) by the government.

hope i was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Actually, I had one problem when I was hooking up digiweb - who use the same equipment as IBB - which was that for some reason I could not access the internet when my wireless radio was on. I'm not entirely sure why but I think it was something to do with the fact that both digiweb and my network were using the same channel - or the exact same frequency. I changed the channel to 13 - which was furthest away from channel 4 that digiweb use - on my access point and the problem was solved.

It was not a problem with signals being interfered with as the digiweb signal is far too weak to be picked up by my access point or any of the computers but I think it was something to do with how the widows software interprets the info that somes in on a certain frequency. I don't know. But be aware of the fact anyway.

Hopefully all the wireless ISP's will be switching over to 3.5G spectrum soon anyway cause in my experience the 2.4G is not very reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ur-lord

Hi there, I have IBB and a wireless network also in the house and have had absolutly no problems.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info ur-lord.

Slightly off topic but did you have any problems setting up shared access to the broadband on your network (assuming you are sharing the broadband connection) ? I know its fairly easy to do with DSL but were there any problems with IBB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ur-lord

a few problems at first... think it really depends on what OS you are using. I was using XP Pro on all machines and all I had to do was set the IBB connection (LAN) to "shared". After a bit of rebooting I got all the machines to pick it up. now all is runing smooth.

Thats good to know, I'll be using XP Pro on my machines as well.

I assume the PC that connects to the IBB directly still has to be on for the internet connection to be working on the other machines? Ideally what I'd like to do is be able to connect to the internet from any machine without the need to have any other machine turned on. Not sure if this is possible with IBB though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

@The Clown Man: People have tried to get some feedback from Digiweb wireless customers before on boards without much success. Any chance you can let us know what sort of quality of service are you getting with this deal Clownman:) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

if you get a wireless "modem" that plugs straight into your network card, you can get a Wireless router and plug the Wireless ISPs port directly into the WAN port of the wireless router for your network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

I subscribe to IBB and have a wireless router... no problem between the two.

But there is a bigger issue with IBB : the quality of their service is not reliable.

If you want to browse site, you're not in a hurry to download stuff and don't want to play online then IBB is fine.

If you want to play online games, download at the max speed (512kbps = 64KB/s), watch quality video stream (300kbps and more) and display website at blazzing speed then IBB isn't the right choice.

Read this thread to find out what the problem is :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=124036

I don't really have any choice in what broadband to get. I failed the line test for DSL so wireless is the only viable alternative. I don't really care about the whole bad ping thing, I just want an always-on connection with reasonable speeds. Been trying to get broadband since September now and it looks like I won't be getting it until February at the earliest.

Advertisement